Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant alterations

Options
  • 26-05-2015 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am doing a small house extension into my back garden which runs parallel with a footpath and road.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]In the middle of the road outside the end of our garden there seems to be an eircom manhole, further up, outside the side of the house on the footpath there seems to be a second eircom manhole and I discovered today that there is a 100mm pipe with 3 cables in it running along the top of the soil in the back garden just inside the division between the pavement and our back garden. The most likely assumption is that it is an Eircom pipe. It was hidden in long grass at the edge of the back garden but now that we are trying to dig foundations to the house it is the first thing that has shown up and build work has had to stop.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I called Eircom and was told that I would need to write a letter or send an email to email plant alterations at eircom dot ie which I have done.  The lady advised me that I wasn't allowed to speak with anybody, there there is no guideline for a response time to acknowledge my email and that a response time to the request has a guideline of 2 months.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can anybody tell me if 
    a) Eircom are allowed to run a pipe through my back garden 
    b) If A is a yes, is supposed to be buried and if so to what depth, and 
    c) Has anybody any experience of this plant alterations at eircom dot ie email address - do they respond or will it disappear into the ether.
    d) Any other advise on who to contact?

Many thanks,[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dhogan

An update - it looks like there is enough give to simply untangle the pipe from the grass etc. that has grown up around it and roll it off the edge of the garden onto the footpath and go ahead with our foundations so assuming the 2 month turn around from plantalterations at eircom dot ie is a real backlog, i think we will probably just go ahead with this.
    So that it doesn't cause public issues, I will contact the roads authority of the local county council today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

dhogan wrote: »
    An update - it looks like there is enough give to simply untangle the pipe from the grass etc. that has grown up around it and roll it off the edge of the garden onto the footpath and go ahead with our foundations so assuming the 2 month turn around from plantalterations at eircom dot ie is a real backlog, i think we will probably just go ahead with this.
    So that it doesn't cause public issues, I will contact the roads authority of the local county council today.
    Hi dhogan

Please follow this link to an area of our Website called click before you dig : http://support.eircom.net/article/clickbeforeyoudig

Should you require further clarification on this matte the best number I can offer you is for eircoms plant alterations department on LoCall [font=Calibri","sans-serif]1850 245 424

Thanks

AL[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks Al,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I really appreciate you coming back to me. I am logged into the click before you dig map area and I can see letters on the map (LS, MH, MHS) beside little dots, but there are no lines indicating that there are any underground ducts or wires, no glossary of terms to suggest what LS, MH or MHS mean - is there a way of getting help to use this facility?

I basically just see a black and white map of the garden and house and road with these groups of letters around the road and a few dots on the map beside these letters but nothing that looks like eircom lines anywhere in the area.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]As it happens, the particular duct in question doesn't involve any digging, it's up at footpath level just covered up by the grass effectively.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I called the alterations 1850 245 424 number yesterday. It was they who gave me the plant alterations at eircom dot ie email address and said that they can't actually put me through to anybody or give me a contact number for anybody - just the email or write a letter option which have a 2 month turn around time.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks Al,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I really appreciate you coming back to me. I am logged into the click before you dig map area and I can see letters on the map (LS, MH, MHS) beside little dots, but there are no lines indicating that there are any underground ducts or wires, no glossary of terms to suggest what LS, MH or MHS mean - is there a way of getting help to use this facility?

I basically just see a black and white map of the garden and house and road with these groups of letters around the road and a few dots on the map beside these letters but nothing that looks like eircom lines anywhere in the area.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]As it happens, the particular duct in question doesn't involve any digging, it's up at footpath level just covered up by the grass effectively.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I called the alterations 1850 245 424 number yesterday. It was they who gave me the plant alterations at eircom dot ie email address and said that they can't actually put me through to anybody or give me a contact number for anybody - just the email or write a letter option which have a 2 month turn around time.[/font]
    Hi dhogan

I am unaware of what the abbreviations mean - I'll ask around and get back to you when I find out

Cheers
    Al

Hi dhogan

[font=Times New Roman","serif]LS  =  Lamp Standard[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]MH = Manhole cover.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]MHS = Manhole covers.[/font]

If the appropriate description/abbreviation is not available you can chose one and explain further when contact has been made.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks Al,

So the click before you dig map appears to be indicating that while there are Lamps and Man holes on the road outside our garden, there are no Eircom lines at all.

Are you able to look on the click before you dig map, zoom in on tivoli Road (Dun Loaghaire) and confirm that you can see no lines at all either?

Many thanks,

Dhogan

Hi Al,

somebody from plant alterations at eircom dot ie got in touch so I guess i don't really need any more help.

many thanks,

david.

Hi Al,

somebody from plant alterations at eircom dot ie got in touch so I guess i don't really need any more help.

many thanks,

david.
    Hi dhogan

Apologies for the delays. Appreciate you updating the thread and wishing you the best of luck with your new extension.

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement