Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirty dog

• 26-05-2015 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Have a 5 year old collie. Good dog usually. Sleeps inside and usually - up to now - there has been no problems, he's been housetrained since he was a baby.
    For the past two weeks he's been pooping and peeing inside, he's getting out to go to the bathroom just before bed and it's making no difference.
    In the past two weeks the only mornings he hadn't dirtied was two mornings I let him sleep in my room.
    I haven't changed his food and I'm just wondering what could be causing him to be so bold all of a sudden or how do I fix this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

When you have a change like that usually the first port of call is to take your dog to the vet and rule out any medical issues. Also, what are you using to clean the area afterwards? Are there any other (new) dogs in the house?

Dogs don't intend to be bold, that's more of a human characteristic. I'm sure he's not intentionally doing it, it's most likely that he can't help it or is drawn to doing his business there for some reason (say, if you were cleaning the area with an ammonia based product, it'll encourage him to pee there again), it's just a matter of figuring the situation out!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

If it were me I would definitely bring him to the vet. Dogs don't turn bold, get him checked out and eliminate that there isn't anything wrong with him and then take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Is the poo runny or a normal solid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Doc has been to the vet, apart from muscle wastage in his leg following an accident, he got a clean bill of health. Poo is different each day. Some days it's runny (but still scoopable) other times it's solid like it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Did he have a bloodtest?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

Doc has been to the vet, apart from muscle wastage in his leg following an accident, he got a clean bill of health. Poo is different each day. Some days it's runny (but still scoopable) other times it's solid like it should be

I wonder has the muscle wastage in his leg made him lazy/tired. If his leg hasn't the strength maybe it's just instinct to reserve his energy levels by not bothering to go to the toilet outside. I bit of re-training and patience should do it if he was good before this.

He is outside the entire day. Judging by the load he leaves he's saving it up for the whole day

He is outside the entire day. Judging by the load he leaves he's saving it up for the whole day

Well IMO that sounds like what a child would do and that's often related to anxiety or stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Lexie, do you feed at night or morning? Could be a factor,
    but maybe best to go to vet.

He is fed twice a day, a light breakfast and his main dinner then at night. I think I will go to the vet just to be sure but is there anything I can do to ease his anxiety?

• Advertisement

Hope your dog is feeling better. Any improvement or did you get to the bottom of what was wrong?

Advertisement