Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70 Upgrade for SMS

Options
  • 26-05-2015 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi
    I have a HKC Quantum 70 self installed.
    I have it set up to alert me, via SMS on an Eircom line, since the are removing this feature at the end of June, I need an alternative. (and Eircom will lose me as a customer for good)
    So I would like to know the cost and running costs of these and any advantages or disadvantages or alternate options.

Option 1 GSM-Q uses pay as you go sim ?
    Option 2 GSM-SC uses fixed sim, cloud based ?

The system is on firmware V 1.0.19 and i think it needs V3 or above, so I wonder can I do it myself or can it be done over the Eircom line, or how would I go about it and how much would it cost.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The quantum has a built in voice dialler that will work with UPC/SKY/Eircom/imagine Ect

You could also use a gsm sc which is €60 a year . This covers all texts/data and voice calls. And is controlled by an app.

Or the gsm Q and just top it up every once in a while. This will text or call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

abithandy wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a HKC Quantum 70 self installed.
    I have it set up to alert me, via SMS on an Eircom line, since the are removing this feature at the end of June, I need an alternative. (and Eircom will lose me as a customer for good)
    So I would like to know the cost and running costs of these and any advantages or disadvantages or alternate options.

Option 1 GSM-Q uses pay as you go sim ?
    Option 2 GSM-SC uses fixed sim, cloud based ?

The system is on firmware V 1.0.19 and i think it needs V3 or above, so I wonder can I do it myself or can it be done over the Eircom line, or how would I go about it and how much would it cost.

Thanks

3.2.0 is the latest version.
    HKC have also set up a messaging center that can be used with any provider if you still wanted to use the text service. It does come at a cost per Month. It can be used with any service provider you have in place and will also text any network of phone an end customer has, it will even text abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 abithandy

Thanks altor
    Does this HKC messaging center work of my existing set up - Eircom land line, or do I need the GSM-Q or GSM-SC board, for which I need a firmware upgrade, but I don't know how to go about getting this upgrade, can it be done over the Eircom line with my permission? (HKC Smartlink 700) or could I bring the motherboard to HKC ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

abithandy wrote: »
    Thanks altor
    Does this HKC messaging center work of my existing set up - Eircom land line, or do I need the GSM-Q or GSM-SC board, for which I need a firmware upgrade, but I don't know how to go about getting this upgrade, can it be done over the Eircom line with my permission? (HKC Smartlink 700) or could I bring the motherboard to HKC ?
    Thanks

It works with any set up no matter of the service provider you have in place so you don't need any additional hardware.

Advertisement