Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of DOE test

Options
  • 26-05-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Just got a receipt in the post for my DOE test,
    CVR testing centre levy €2
    Levy Motor Caravan €6
    Then add VAT at 23%
    WTF A tax on a tax!
    I thought services incurred a VAT rate of 13.5%?

RIP OFF IRELAND, Legally obliged to do a test then charged VAT on a "LEVY"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

digger58 wrote: »
    Just got a receipt in the post for my DOE test,
    CVR testing centre levy €2
    Levy Motor Caravan €6
    Then add VAT at 23%
    WTF A tax on a tax!
    I thought services incurred a VAT rate of 13.5%?

RIP OFF IRELAND, Legally obliged to do a test then charged VAT on a "LEVY"

http://www.cvrt.ie/en/Test-Bookings/Pages/Motor-Caravans.aspx :confused::confused:

No mention of a special special levies. There is a 'Road Safety Levy' which is included in the base price though.
    The VAT is right :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Is not VAT on services 13.5%? What about charging it on a "Levy", that is a tax already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

digger58 wrote: »
    Is not VAT on services 13.5%? What about charging it on a "Levy", that is a tax already?

A tax on a levy is one thing, but a tax on a tax is something else altogether

Value Added Tax is charged on Vehicle Registration Tax which is charged on a value which already includes both Taxes

The 13.5% VAT on service is service as in servicing a vehicle doing work on it, it was introduced to encourage people to use registered garages in an attempt to reduce the prevalence of nixers.

As such the roadworthiness test is a service being provided no work is done on the vehicle

Advertisement