Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK - Gamsat, registration OPEN!!!

• 26-05-2015 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

Hi All, just thought I'd let everyone know that the UK Gamsat is currently open for registration. In order to secure your preferred test centre its best to get in and register quickly.

http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/gamsat-uk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Roll on Liverpool :)

p.s you can register after May 31st, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

GeneralC wrote: »
    Roll on Liverpool :)

p.s you can register after May 31st, yes?

Registration remains open until the 31st of July at which stage late registrations will kick in for an additional £60

Registration remains open until the 31st of July at which stage late registrations will kick in for an additional £60

Although I knew that, I still had to ask! Have you registered? How's the prep going?

Although I knew that, I still had to ask! Have you registered? How's the prep going?
    I have registered but the prep is taking a back seat due to exams with uni at the moment :) final exam tomorrow so will take the weekend off and go back blazing Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Skipper91

Hey,

Just set this up today! preparing for GAMSAT 2015 in liverpool. Just curious as to see how are people preparing for the exam, but specifically, the ominous section III? Coming from a non-science background always fills me with fear when opening up the sample papers.

• Advertisement

Skipper91 wrote: »
    Hey,

Just set this up today! preparing for GAMSAT 2015 in liverpool. Just curious as to see how are people preparing for the exam, but specifically, the ominous section III? Coming from a non-science background always fills me with fear when opening up the sample papers.

I'm also coming from a non science background, what works for me is, visual based learning when I don't understand something. My plan was to watch every Khan Acad video relating to Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Organic chemistry. I'm halfway through. I've only really started since finishing college in May (Mature student with 2 kids under 3 is not easy :) ) Once I finish khan im going to read the Dummies series for each one, this will hopefully be completed end / mid July. I will then start the Dummy workbooks for each discipline, which will again hopefully get me through to early August.

I then plan on doing all the Sample acer papers which I have, there is no point in attempting them now as my science is not up to standard. I should in theory have 3 weeks to do this which I'm hopeful will aid me come exam day.

For section 1 I'm doing one practice test a week if and when I find the time and for section 2, I'm reading Simon Jenkins of The Guardian, on a daily basis. I figure as I'm doing a UK GAMSAT I should have some UK references (not that I think it matters) I'm also reading AC GRAYLING a history of philosophy and trying to write two essays a week. My essays are not under timed conditions. At the moment I'm working on structure. I hope to have 5 essays memorized (Health, Economics, Fear, etc etc )of good quality with a few quotes thrown in from the likes of Thomas Fueller etc etc.

That's me. I dont believe I'll get the September one, my aim is for March, but If I fluke it, it would be nice.

Edit: I noticed you Pm'd me, sadly I dont have the material anymore, My dropbox was deleted :(

I'm also coming from a non science background, what works for me is, visual based learning when I don't understand something. My plan was to watch every Khan Acad video relating to Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Organic chemistry. I'm halfway through. I've only really started since finishing college in May (Mature student with 2 kids under 3 is not easy :) ) Once I finish khan im going to read the Dummies series for each one, this will hopefully be completed end / mid July. I will then start the Dummy workbooks for each discipline, which will again hopefully get me through to early August.

I then plan on doing all the Sample acer papers which I have, there is no point in attempting them now as my science is not up to standard. I should in theory have 3 weeks to do this which I'm hopeful will aid me come exam day.

For section 1 I'm doing one practice test a week if and when I find the time and for section 2, I'm reading Simon Jenkins of The Guardian, on a daily basis. I figure as I'm doing a UK GAMSAT I should have some UK references (not that I think it matters) I'm also reading AC GRAYLING a history of philosophy and trying to write two essays a week. My essays are not under timed conditions. At the moment I'm working on structure. I hope to have 5 essays memorized (Health, Economics, Fear, etc etc )of good quality with a few quotes thrown in from the likes of Thomas Fueller etc etc.

That's me. I dont believe I'll get the September one, my aim is for March, but If I fluke it, it would be nice.

Edit: I noticed you Pm'd me, sadly I dont have the material anymore, My dropbox was deleted :(

How are you using the Khan videos exactly? I find them an excellent source, but not entirely sure how best it is to use them for study?

How are you using the Khan videos exactly? I find them an excellent source, but not entirely sure how best it is to use them for study?

I'm just watching them, taking it all in visually. I work best like that. I'm just starting at the start and working my way through. When I get to the books in a couple of weeks I will start taking notes on issues like, glycolysis, kreb cycle, electron chain, but until then I have an underlying understanding of how they work.

From what I gather. the GAMSAT is not about regurgitating information, it is about solving problems that require an understanding of the core concepts. I'm trying to understand those core concepts and hopefully that will be enough.

EG: I'm doing human Biology right now, and if you were to ask me about hemoglobin and what exactly it does I'd be able to tell you no problem, if I were asked why hemoglobin were to reside inside a blood cell as apposed to the magma (H20) within the artery / vein I'd also be able to tell you or why it takes in the O2 over the nitrogen (Oxygen, bonding better to Iron within the Heme groups). I think it's these type of core concepts that are whats required, not necessarily being able to identify every single aspect of the hemoglobin enzyme itself.

However, what works well for me may not work well for you, so I'd be cautious of my approach and try an develop your own.

Thanks for the Reply.

I completely agree about thesample papers, no point in doing them when one doesnt have the concepts to apply. Started Khan myself- its a pretty good resource. I am also downloading MCAT papers too, I have already done this for Section I.

As regards my own study for section I and II.

Firstly I am using MCAT 101 verbal reasoning (you can download this for free) I have also ordered A. C grayling the meaning of things. It seems as those this is the Holy Grail when it comes to section II, as Grayling hits on many themes and virtues throughout this book. Also at night I'm reading a couple of pages of Charles Dickens (Little Dorrit). This is to improve on my vocabulary.

Also I am not sure if you have come accross quotegenerator, its quite good for section II, although it merely focuses on Task A of the essay esctin, which focuses on the the persuasive and argumentative essay! I like your goodself am just going to pick 4-5 themes for the essay love, human nature, morality, wisdom etc and learn of some quotes. Thankfully I am a bit of a quote lover, so as it stands I have a few to tie me over.

Reverting back to my science section and thanks again for taking the time to answer it, is there any particular topics you are covering. With Khan I find there is quite a lot on offer, but to refine this in anyway would help in more ways than one

I take my hat of too you- managing study with family life- maith thú :)

Thanks for the Reply.

I completely agree about thesample papers, no point in doing them when one doesnt have the concepts to apply. Started Khan myself- its a pretty good resource. I am also downloading MCAT papers too, I have already done this for Section I.

As regards my own study for section I and II.

Firstly I am using MCAT 101 verbal reasoning (you can download this for free) I have also ordered A. C grayling the meaning of things. It seems as those this is the Holy Grail when it comes to section II, as Grayling hits on many themes and virtues throughout this book. Also at night I'm reading a couple of pages of Charles Dickens (Little Dorrit). This is to improve on my vocabulary.

Also I am not sure if you have come accross quotegenerator, its quite good for section II, although it merely focuses on Task A of the essay esctin, which focuses on the the persuasive and argumentative essay! I like your goodself am just going to pick 4-5 themes for the essay love, human nature, morality, wisdom etc and learn of some quotes. Thankfully I am a bit of a quote lover, so as it stands I have a few to tie me over.

Reverting back to my science section and thanks again for taking the time to answer it, is there any particular topics you are covering. With Khan I find there is quite a lot on offer, but to refine this in anyway would help in more ways than one

I take my hat of too you- managing study with family life- maith thú :)

Well we will see how much managing I am really doing come September :)
    Honestly I'm going through all of KHAN. However, if you're short on time I'd suggest going to the TEST PREP section there is an MCAT section there which goes through it all. I'd say if you started there, it would be good enough for GAMSAT. I've heard they're not to dissimilar.

I've been told applying the argumentative style for both A and B will be fine so I'm adopting this more so than the personal reflection for section 2.

I've got all the MCAT examkrackers material which I'm also getting through.
    I also have the quote generator. Thanks.

Hopefully September is a winner for us both. If you do get in have you though about which UNI ?

• Advertisement

Well we will see how much managing I am really doing come September :)
    Honestly I'm going through all of KHAN. However, if you're short on time I'd suggest going to the TEST PREP section there is an MCAT section there which goes through it all. I'd say if you started there, it would be good enough for GAMSAT. I've heard they're not to dissimilar.

I've been told applying the argumentative style for both A and B will be fine so I'm adopting this more so than the personal reflection for section 2.

I've got all the MCAT examkrackers material which I'm also getting through.
    I also have the quote generator. Thanks.

Hopefully September is a winner for us both. If you do get in have you though about which UNI ?

RCSI and UCD. But I am also strongly considering UL. It looks like an amzing course, very different approach but one from what I have read moulds a very unique prospective doctor.

Great, Thanks for that I will check those sites out tomorrow. Hopefull I can glean something from them. Are you considering Dublin yourself?

RCSI and UCD. But I am also strongly considering UL. It looks like an amzing course, very different approach but one from what I have read moulds a very unique prospective doctor.

Great, Thanks for that I will check those sites out tomorrow. Hopefull I can glean something from them. Are you considering Dublin yourself?

UCD for me or RCSI (if successful). RCSI would be my preference but due to proximity UCD is the smart choice. But I'd bite your hand off for either. UCC or UL are not options for me due to location.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 binge90

Registered for London a couple weeks ago, and flights also booked.

Anyone heard where the test centre is this year?

Want to book a hotel room but would rather not wait until 2 weeks before the test when they issue the admissions ticket.

I've mailed the UK's email, but don't expect to get the info off them if what I've heard about them being scabby with info is true.

If I hear back from them though I'll let you all know - Have also heard it was held in the park Plaza hotel last year too - So might mail them if I get no info from ACER themselves...crafty fecker that I am. Pretend I'm interested in booking a room there and hopefully they'll give up the beans.

binge90 wrote: »
    Registered for London a couple weeks ago, and flights also booked.

Anyone heard where the test centre is this year?

Want to book a hotel room but would rather not wait until 2 weeks before the test when they issue the admissions ticket.

I've mailed the UK's email, but don't expect to get the info off them if what I've heard about them being scabby with info is true.

If I hear back from them though I'll let you all know - Have also heard it was held in the park Plaza hotel last year too - So might mail them if I get no info from ACER themselves...crafty fecker that I am. Pretend I'm interested in booking a room there and hopefully they'll give up the beans.

So the eve is upon us, are many doing it in the UK tomorrow? Sat in a Liverpool hotel studying at the moment, looking for ward to getting stuck in tomorrow

Best of luck to all doing it

Uk GEM aftermath.

So just back from a long day in the UK.

Felt overall that section 1 and 2 were pkay , even if section 1 had a lot of passages basesd on contemporary literature and style whilst modern pieces were few and far between.

Section 2 comprises of essay A relating to Politics and B relating the "thy-self, ones-self"

Section 3 was a slug and ultimately I feel this will let me down. There was a lot of organic chemistry on the paper. Coming from a non science background all my focus went into chemistry and biology and I felt I grasped these questions well.

I don't think ill achieve the required mark I need, so I feel March, with some added study in the sciences and section 1and hopefully come May I'll get the required mark

Overall, I'm delighted I did it, least not of all just to get a feel for it.

Good luck to whomever else sat it yesterday

Anyone have any idea when the UK Results are likely to be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 flombie

Going by the posts from previous years it seems to be sometime around the 17th or so.. The sooner the better, can't stand this waiting game!

So results are out for the UK, didn't get in as was expected but happy with how I did, sitting it with limited study. Ultimately, my sciences let me down.

I scored a 56, 56 and 35 :( giving me an overall of 48 (I suspect having to guess the last 10 questions in both section 1 and section 3 didn't help :( )

But seeing as I'm from a non science background and only put in 3 months study hopefully there is room to improve on March.

Hope the rest of you did better and got what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chocice94

Checked my results this morning, got 54 but thats what the cut off was for UL last year and it always seems to be fluctuating between 53 and 54. Don't know whether or not to appeal my results, even if it would go up by just 2 points that would make all the difference :/

chocice94 wrote: »
    Checked my results this morning, got 54 but thats what the cut off was for UL last year and it always seems to be fluctuating between 53 and 54. Don't know whether or not to appeal my results, even if it would go up by just 2 points that would make all the difference :/

Personally I'd appeal, but you always run the risk of it being scored down 1....anyway 54 is a great base and should stand to you should you sit March.

Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement