Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot chasing a disputed debt which has since been credited

Options
  • 26-05-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please PM me to assist with this matter, as a matter of urgency? My mother is being harassed by Cabot over a debt Cabot claimed is owed to Eircom. I have had numerous phonecalls with Eircom and eventually was told the amount showing as owing on the account was credited/cancelled but Eircom refused to send confirmation of this, as they said it was not possible due to the account being closed.

This  matter has been ongoing for over a year and my mother is now receiving letters threatening legal action, which are greatly distressing to her. I feel I have no other option at this stage but to report Eircom/Cabot to the Gardaí for harassment on behalf of my mother.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Marklark wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone please PM me to assist with this matter, as a matter of urgency? My mother is being harassed by Cabot over a debt Cabot claimed is owed to Eircom. I have had numerous phonecalls with Eircom and eventually was told the amount showing as owing on the account was credited/cancelled but Eircom refused to send confirmation of this, as they said it was not possible due to the account being closed.

This  matter has been ongoing for over a year and my mother is now receiving letters threatening legal action, which are greatly distressing to her. I feel I have no other option at this stage but to report Eircom/Cabot to the Gardaí for harassment on behalf of my mother.
    Very sorry to hear this Marklark

Please PM me the account number and I'll look in to this further

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marklark

Hi Alan,

I sent you the account number and my contact details yesterday but have not had a response. This is a matter of urgency. Could you please provide an update?

Hi Alan,

I sent you the account number and my contact details yesterday but have not had a response. This is a matter of urgency. Could you please provide an update?
    Thanks for taking my call Marklark

To clarify, the amount is no longer outstanding and I have already had our debt recovery department confirm this. Cabot financial should not be sending letters and they are going to be instructed to stop. As soon as I have final confirmation I will arrange this in writing.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and concern this has caused your mother.

Cheers
    Al

Hi Al,

I still haven't received final confirmation, which is causing my mother some concern. I appreciate your efforts on this but it's been going on like this for months now I.e. Eircom saying it's resolved but refusing to put in writing, then Cabot/solicitors sending my mother threatening letters, then Eircom confirm nothing owing but can't put in writing and the whole cycle keeps going.

It really is atrocious customer service, and as I said in my original message, is criminal harassment at this stage, in my opinion.

I'd appreciate if you could arrange written confirmation so this matter and all the distress it caused my mother can finally be put to a close. If this can't be arranged, I see no other option at this stage but to report to the Gardai.
    Thanks for taking my call Marklark

To clarify, the amount is no longer outstanding and I have already had our debt recovery department confirm this. Cabot financial should not be sending letters and they are going to be instructed to stop. As soon as I have final confirmation I will arrange this in writing.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and concern this has caused your mother.

Cheers
    Al

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It really is disgraceful that a company like Eircom can cause such distress for an elderly lady.  Of course there are no consequences for Eircom when they do this type of thing. 

And it is a face to have have Eircom making statements like "Cabot financial should not be sending letters and they are going to be instructed to stop" 

Going to be? When exactly? How hard is it to make a phone call instructing them to stop? 

How hard is it given the stress that Eircom have caused this lady for them to write a letter setting the record straight and apologising for the stress caused?  

As regards reporting Eircom to the Gardai it would appear that companies nowadays are far more afraid of bad publicity than the Gardai.

I am sure if a case like this was mentioned on the Joe Duffy show Eircom PR people would be falling all over themselves to make that phone call and emphasising that it was a all a big misunderstanding............................:(              

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    It really is disgraceful that a company like Eircom can cause such distress for an elderly lady.  Of course there are no consequences for Eircom when they do this type of thing. 

And it is a face to have have Eircom making statements like "Cabot financial should not be sending letters and they are going to be instructed to stop" 

Going to be? When exactly? How hard is it to make a phone call instructing them to stop? 

How hard is it given the stress that Eircom have caused this lady for them to write a letter setting the record straight and apologising for the stress caused?  

As regards reporting Eircom to the Gardai it would appear that companies nowadays are far more afraid of bad publicity than the Gardai.

I am sure if a case like this was mentioned on the Joe Duffy show Eircom PR people would be falling all over themselves to make that phone call and emphasising that it was a all a big misunderstanding............................:(              
    I think you're right Dub45. It really is shockingly bad customer service

dub45 wrote: »

I think you're right Dub45. It really is shockingly bad customer service
    Hi Marklark

As discussed over our call last week, there is no further outstanding balance and there should have been no further letters from Cabot Financial about this.

In the call I had explained that I will need to await final confirmation eircom debt & credit management unit that no final letters be sent in error and until then I cannot arrange a letter - I am now happy to confirm that the debt & credit management unit have confirmed this mistake will not occur again and a letter will be sent to your mother. I have also been advised that the letter will be sent today.

Sincere apologies are in order for both the erroneous letters and the delays in having this complaint followed up on.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Rock 1234

Congratulations Marklark for perusing Eircom on behalf your mother, what would she have done if she didn't have you, Eircom doesn't seem to know what it's doing, Let us know if your mother ever gets that letter, 

Hi Al,

I know you told me there was no amount outstanding but as I have previously stated, three of your colleagues have told me the exact same thing going back over the last few months yet Eircoms debt collectors/solicitors continue to harass my mother. It is a serious indictment of your company that a customer cannot take the staff for their word, as the company's actions go completely against what their staff state. Therefore my mother needs the written confirmation, as it seems without this, the threats will keep coming, regardless of the fact that it has been confirmed numerous times over the last number of months that the alleged debt is not actually owed.

You did also state on the call that confirmation should take c.1 day but it has taken a week.

As I stated before, I appreciate your efforts personally on this but Eircom's customer service in general has been absolutely atrocious (this issue start over 18 months ago). I have never experienced anything like it and hope I never do again.

Hopefully the letter does actually arrive this time and this ridiculous cycle of going around in circles and the damage it has had on my mother's health will cease.
    Hi Marklark

As discussed over our call last week, there is no further outstanding balance and there should have been no further letters from Cabot Financial about this.

In the call I had explained that I will need to await final confirmation eircom debt & credit management unit that no final letters be sent in error and until then I cannot arrange a letter - I am now happy to confirm that the debt & credit management unit have confirmed this mistake will not occur again and a letter will be sent to your mother. I have also been advised that the letter will be sent today.

Sincere apologies are in order for both the erroneous letters and the delays in having this complaint followed up on.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al,

I know you told me there was no amount outstanding but as I have previously stated, three of your colleagues have told me the exact same thing going back over the last few months yet Eircoms debt collectors/solicitors continue to harass my mother. It is a serious indictment of your company that a customer cannot take the staff for their word, as the company's actions go completely against what their staff state. Therefore my mother needs the written confirmation, as it seems without this, the threats will keep coming, regardless of the fact that it has been confirmed numerous times over the last number of months that the alleged debt is not actually owed.

You did also state on the call that confirmation should take c.1 day but it has taken a week.

As I stated before, I appreciate your efforts personally on this but Eircom's customer service in general has been absolutely atrocious (this issue start over 18 months ago). I have never experienced anything like it and hope I never do again.

Hopefully the letter does actually arrive this time and this ridiculous cycle of going around in circles and the damage it has had on my mother's health will cease.
    Hi Marklark

Thanks
    Al

I fully understand your position on this marklark - For which sincere apologies are certainly in order here.

The letter was sent yesterday so it should be with your mother today.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement