Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door Handles and Cylinders

Options
  • 26-05-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭

I will be changing locks on the doors.
    Was looking at getting Avocet ABS Mk3 cylinders.
    Are these secure enough on their own without changing handles to PAS24 ones?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Keith186 wrote: »
    I will be changing locks on the doors.
    Was looking at getting Avocet ABS Mk3 cylinders.
    Are these secure enough on their own without changing handles to PAS24 ones?

Thanks.

The main issue is the Euro barrel used in these doors.
    The lock you linked to provides anti snap and bump which is the protection you need as opposed to using the Euro locks provided in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Keith186

Yeah I'm hoping they'll be theft resistant enough with the current handles which are only light metal which could be twisted out of the way easily enough to get in at the cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Even if they get to the cylinder on the ABS lock they snap and then you can not turn the lock.

I fitted them on front and back door.

I have drilled the standard euro locks and they are so simple to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Keith186

Even if they get to the cylinder on the ABS lock they snap and then you can not turn the lock.

I fitted them on front and back door.

I have drilled the standard euro locks and they are so simple to pick.

Cheers. Was looking into it a bit more today and its recommended to have these 3 star cylinders OR a 1 star cylinder with 2 star handle. Should be grand with standard handles.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm hoping they'll be theft resistant enough with the current handles which are only light metal which could be twisted out of the way easily enough to get in at the cylinder.

Its the lock doing the protecting tho.
    You look at people with milti point locking systems and all they have is a Euro barrel. Once the barrel is snapped in two nothing is preventing access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Where is the best place in Dublin to pick these locks up?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

s_gr wrote: »

I ordered mine online off eBay from a northern Ireland business

s_gr wrote: »

Most good locksmiths would have these in stock..

Advertisement