Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush infestation

Options
  • 26-05-2015 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi,

I have this bush growing in the front garden, but the end of every branch is covered in little grey pods of some sort. Eggs maybe? And the underside of the leaves in each area are covered in loads of small flies.

So what is it, and how do I treat it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're aphids - sap sucking insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Most insecticides will kill them off. You can get environment friendly alternatives too. Pop in to your local garden centre.

Unless you know a ladybird wrangler...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

You don't need insecticides, just mix a small drop of soft soap with water in a hand sprayer and spray infected parts, make sure you spray the undersides of leaves as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Thanks everyone. Ill try the soap first, head to the garden centre if that doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Definitely aphids. I've noticed that they seem to go for the weakest plants in my garden, for example i've an apple tree thats struggling this year and i saw yesterday that it's got some of them on it. Once you have got rid of them keep the bush watered and fed, it may be stressed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement