Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top things to do in New York

Options
  • 26-05-2015 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for a bit of help/guidance! Myself and my partner are heading to New York for 7 days in November and want to see a lot! I have done a rough idea of what we both want to see, can you tell me if I am missing anything or if I am being too optimistic!! Thanks

Sunday
    • Arrive JFK at 3pm
    o New Jersey
    Monday
    • Upper West Side
    o The High Line ~ 10min walk
    o Central Park ~ 34mins walk from hotel
    o Rowing?
    o Horse and Carriage $150
    o Madame T $29 on route to C.P
    Tuesday
    • Midtown
    o Empire State $32 ~ 13 Mins walks
    o Times Square
    o St Patricks Cathedral
    o Grand Central Station
    Wednesday
    • Lower Manhattan
    o Brooklyn Bridge
    o Washington Street
    o Ellis Island/Liberty Island $21
    o Wall Street ~ Charging Bull
    o Ground Zero $24
    Thursday
    • Bronx
    o Bronx Zoo
    o Yankee Stadium
    Friday
    • Shopping
    o Go see a show, comedy club

Saturday
    • Free Day
    Sunday
    • Flight leave at 6.40pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Consider taking the Staten Island ferry from downtown (it's free) and back again, a good way to see the harbour and the Verrazano Bridge. Late morning or early afternoon would be a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Remember to have some contingency for the weather. November can be brutally cold and snowy. While a lot of services are open, it can take longer to get around, and if there is a bad storm it can shut the city down until all is safe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

On the day you arrive you have New Jersey...is there something or someone in particular you want to see there? Bar visiting relatives, I can't think of much you could do in Jersey especially at that time of year.

Don't set out your day's as must see that and this, go with the flow. NY is the best city to wander in.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Seems optimistic to me! Ellis island and statue of liberty takes most of most of the day. Allow time for travel. The subway is great, but it takes time.
    The best thing about new York is having time to wander!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Boat on the Hudson is good to see most of the main sights! Macey's better to shop in than Century21 from my experience. Bloomingdales are good too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you like beer and small breweries, the Brooklyn Brewery do tours on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

yew_tree wrote: »
    On the day you arrive you have New Jersey...is there something or someone in particular you want to see there? Bar visiting relatives, I can't think of much you could do in Jersey especially at that time of year.

Don't set out your day's as must see that and this, go with the flow. NY is the best city to wander in.

Hi! My partners aunt lives there so it's a must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Try a walking tour. The Free Walking Tour group do amazing tours and have about 15 in NY all different areas. The tour guides work for tips and are better than most othets !,

Museum of natural history or Moma are great. If you fancy shopping cross the border to NJ as the sales tax is less!

Day mooching about trendy Brooklyn couldn't be beaten.

The Intrepid museum is unreal, take a look at their webpage, great insight into navy, they even have a concord.

For theatre tix book in advance. You could q on the day at the tkts booths for half price tix but it is subject to availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You're doing a lot of touristy stuff. I like just hanging out around the city aimlessly myself. Walk from uptown Manhattan to downtown Manhattan just to to do it. Maybe go see the big ones in a couple of days and just hang out for the rest of the time.

Pizza, Pizza, Pizza

Diners are amazing too

Statue of Liberty is a rip off. Ellis Island is useless right now, a lot of it was damaged in the Hurricane.

The Bronx Zoo is pretty cool but it's far from the best Zoo that I've been to.

You should try to get into a taping for a TV show during the day on a week day. Like the Daily Show. Last Week Tonight, The Tonight Show Or SNL on the Saturday. Just to experience it. Those are free to attend. Unless you booked well in advance you won't get into the good Broadway shows unless you overpay.

Get some Duck in Chinatown.

For the comedy gig, I'd suggest going on a quiet night. You might have a greater chance of a walk in. Louis CK, Chris Rock and some other big name New York comedians drop in and do random sets to work on new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Head towards chinatown for a look, Its an expiernce and you may even find a bargain.

Would you consider going to the top of the rock instead of the Empire state, In my opinion you get a better view of new york.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

How do you make God laugh ? Tell him your plans :-)

Way too optimistic !! You'll be lucky to get half that done. Pick the top 5 things you want to do and plan one each day.

If you have time for anything else, great, but no biggie if you don't.

As said above, it's a phenomenal city to just wander round. You're in danger of taking the fun out of it by over planning.

I could spend the whole week in Brooklyn or the Village and some of the best times we've had there have been while just wandering about aimlessly.

Relax, soak it up, go for a stroll or 10 and enjoy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Would you consider going to the top of the rock instead of the Empire state, In my opinion you get a better view of new york.

Good point.

Also, worth buying tickets in advance to avoid queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Swanner wrote: »
    Good point.

I'd agree with this. You'll get a great shot of the ESB too.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Hi all, just looking for a bit of help/guidance! Myself and my partner are heading to New York for 7 days in November and want to see a lot! I have done a rough idea of what we both want to see, can you tell me if I am missing anything or if I am being too optimistic!! Thanks

Sunday
    • Arrive JFK at 3pm
    o New Jersey
    Monday
    • Upper West Side
    o The High Line ~ 10min walk
    o Central Park ~ 34mins walk from hotel
    o Rowing?
    o Horse and Carriage $150
    o Madame T $29 on route to C.P
    Tuesday
    • Midtown
    o Empire State $32 ~ 13 Mins walks
    o Times Square
    o St Patricks Cathedral
    o Grand Central Station
    Wednesday
    • Lower Manhattan
    o Brooklyn Bridge
    o Washington Street
    o Ellis Island/Liberty Island $21
    o Wall Street ~ Charging Bull
    o Ground Zero $24
    Thursday
    • Bronx
    o Bronx Zoo
    o Yankee Stadium
    Friday
    • Shopping
    o Go see a show, comedy club

Saturday
    • Free Day
    Sunday
    • Flight leave at 6.40pm

where to in NJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Wompa1 wrote: »

You should try to get into a taping for a TV show during the day on a week day. Like the Daily Show. Last Week Tonight, The Tonight Show Or SNL on the Saturday. Just to experience it. Those are free to attend. Unless you booked well in advance you won't get into the good Broadway shows unless you overpay.

how do you get into a taping of a show .. we will be there in June/Julky and would love to do that - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

The One World Observatory at the top of One World Trade Center is opening this Friday. It will be worth a trip up especially if you are at the 9/11 memorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Swanner wrote: »
    Good point.

I didn't buy any in advance, Went up it at 9pm(It closed at 12 i think) and walked straight in and paid(Around January time so it was quite)...I got great shots of the city at night time.

Advertisement