Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Wii U Splatoon Meetup Thread - Schplatyfest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

smokingman wrote: »
    I have 3mb too and while it should do the trick, the packet loss on my line is so bad that I haven't had a full game of online splatoon since before the first update.

Enough in it offline to make it worth it? Shame local multiplayer is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Enough in it offline to make it worth it? Shame local multiplayer is limited.

If you have the three amiibo then yes, if not then maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

It's not worth the offline content, it'd be about 10 hours without amiibos, which is around the cost of another game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Might try and dissuade the kids from asking for this then, unless I can pick it up for very cheap. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

the hardest parts of Splatoon for me with my kids are :
    • The only local multiplayer is one-v-one balloon popping, which is not a whole lot of fun and has very little to do with the appeal of either the online or single player games (which are both very different but very enjoyable)
    • Online multiplayer is single-player only, and getting them to take turns at being a squid now / kid now is murder.
    • Speaking of murder - because it's them alone against 4 strangers and you can't help them, you can't help them. Oh dear god you can't help them. They get creamed.
    • Unless you take steps, they share your online profile so they'll have your level, your loadout, your username - which is a losing proposition for all involved :D

All it would have taken was local co-op on the single player campaign or a 2 player co-op squids v octolings arena... I could have forgiven the lack of 2 player online play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Might try and dissuade the kids from asking for this then, unless I can pick it up for very cheap. Cheers lads.

Seriously, I would buy it. I actually enjoyed the single player game, but the multiplayer sucked me in before I went anywhere near it. I will most probably pick up the amiibos at some point for the extra content.

My kids love it, both on and off line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Nollog

I regularly see if for around £20 online, I'd say give your internet a shot.
    It's a steal for the online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

James74 wrote: »
    Anybody else reached their "level" or grade in the ranked battles. I am coming to the conclusion that I'm a solid B. Any higher and I'm getting my ass handed to me, when I drop a bit I can normal win straight matches to get right back up again. Suppose it's the sign that the ranking system actually works. But oh how I dream of the dizzy heights of the "A" gods :D

I hit A- last night.

Took a long time but I got there. (reached B+ 98 points so many times to gracefully lose every round after that and fall to C lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

This last while I've been juggling a A- and a B+

Still loving this game, but it's definitely now all about the Ranked battles. The normal game is just not doing it for me any more except during Splatfests. I just wish they would make the map and game type rotation a bit faster. A game lasts 5 mins max (ignoring a bit of overtime every now and then) and restarts are normally fairly nippy, so I reckon a map of game type rotation every hour would be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Nintendo have launched a Splatoon companion site, the most useful function of which is it tells you which maps will me in rotation for the next three periods:
    https://splatoon.nintendo.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Has anybody played the Splatfest this weekend? It's awful. It was a silly choice and a lazy derivative of the American Splatfest from last week. "Pineapple on pizza. Yay or nay?" Lame. I'll be interested in seeing the results. Does anybody like pineapple on pizza? It's disgusting. I've played 4 matches. 2 last night and 2 today. All against fellow pineapple haters. That's when I can connect and find a match.

New map coming later today!

Japanese developers were asked for their favourite game of 2015. Not only did Splatoon win, it won by a landslide.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/249413-133-japanese-devs-pick-their-favorite-games-of-2015-splatoon-com

It's really nice to see Nintendo take the plunge on a really weird, quirky new IP and for it to pay off the way it has with Splatoon.

I really like the new map. It feels huge and the way you can use the moving belts to get into the enemy base is really neat.

Also any time I go back and play Splatoon I'm reminded of how much I freaking love it. It's a rare multi-player game that I'm actually good at.

I went on a 15 Turf War unbeaten streak during the Splatfest this morning including an 88.3%-2.2% win and an 86.2%-1.7% win. I think I have reached my Splatoon peak.

I went on a 15 Turf War unbeaten streak during the Splatfest this morning including an 88.3%-2.2% win and an 86.2%-1.7% win. I think I have reached my Splatoon peak.

Do you not find it's riddled with disconnects and takes ages to find an opposition team? I haven't played the game since the last Splatfest, it's the only time I switch it on, not sure why as I don't find them very enjoyable. So I was waiting to play Mahi-Mahi Resort for the first time last night and in about 20 matches I honestly only got to play it once. It was a good level.

• Advertisement

I played those 15 matches straight without any dropping before my own internet packed it in. I very rarely run into large scale connection issues.

And for the record, this is what such total domination looks like:
    CXtvRVNW8AAKyk5.jpg

The question for the next Splatfest is a doozie:
    https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/698052086462881792

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I think i'm well over 600 hours in this game.. still cant get my head around splatzones, TC and rainmaker i'm fine with. hovering around S35 for weeks now.

The next Splatfest is Spongebob Squarepants themed.

Decisions, decisions! But I think I'll pick Patrick.

Edit: And by the way this is the first Splatfest where Europeans and Americans can play together.
    spongebob-fight-wallpaper-1680x1050.jpg

The Spongebob Squarepants Splatfest is on now. First attempt, disconnected and again disconnected just there. I've always hated Splatoon's motion controls, I think they're awful.

Edit: And I mean horrifically bad. Iliterally curse them all the time. They get even worse in a tight space or when you're up close and personal. The controls, voice chat and online stability are the games biggest flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

sligeach wrote: »
    The Spongebob Squarepants Splatfest is on now. First attempt, disconnected and again disconnected just there. I've always hated Splatoon's motion controls, I think they're awful.

Edit: And I mean horrifically bad. Iliterally curse them all the time. They get even worse in a tight space or when you're up close and personal. The controls, voice chat and online stability are the games biggest flaws.

Out of curiosity why don't you just turn it off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

You do know you can turn them off?

Advertisement