Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Wii U Splatoon Meetup Thread - Schplatyfest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

I don't know whcih one it is, but the one that shows you where bombs are is incredible, it's saved my squiding life plenty of time.

also, talking of squiding, Squid Girl is coming to Splatoon as (costume)DLC in Japan, hopefully to us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭smokingman

Btw, each brand of clothing has its own preferred perk if you're looking for a specific ink saver one to go with others you have.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/71920352/822525977

Word of warning lads; if you have a nice three star thing ordered with the water protester in the alley before you get to level 10, collect it quick as the fuppin hooer charges double what he asked in the first place after level 10.
    Should've know that urchin would turn out nasty.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

So when you order a 3 Star bit of kit, do you get the same one you ordered - ie if you order a pink jumper with Defense Up primary and 3 secondaries of Def up, Def up and Swim up is that exactly what you get on order?
    Or is it the case that you definitely are getting a 3 Star jumper, and that it will be pink, and that it will have a primary of Defense Up, and the rest is randomly assigned as you level?
    Or is the only thing you know that you're getting a 3 star jumper but it could have any primary and be any colour?

I have 3 bits due in today but I ordered them because they were 3 star gear, not because of the primary or secondaries... not even because they looked good. I think I may have made a boo-boo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I thought you could only order one item per day!?

I think you get what you ordered, but the secondaries will be blank, as they're just filled as you use them.

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »
    I thought you could only order one item per day!?

I think you get what you ordered, but the secondaries will be blank, as they're just filled as you use them.

Far as I know, you get the clothes at the same level but the one ability it'll have when it arrives depends on chance and the clothing brand.
    Also, you can order three clothes bits but they only get delivered one per day.

"The brands affect the chances of getting certain secondary abilities when you level your gear up. Most brand have one common ability (which is an ability that is five times more likely to appear), and an uncommon ability (which is an ability that has only half the chance to appear).

Amiibo, Cuttlegear, and KOG brands don't affect secondary abilities in any way.

Firefin - 5x chance for Ink Saver (Sub), 1/2 chance for Ink Recovery Sub
    Forge - 5x chance for Special Duration Up, 1/2 chance for Ink Saver (Sub)
    Inkline - 5x Defense Up, 1/2 Damage Up
    Krak-On - 5x Swim Speed Up, 1/2 Defense Up
    Rockenberg - 5x Run Speed Up, 1/2 Swim Speed Up
    Skalop - 5x Quick Respawn, 1/2 Special Saver
    Splash Mob - 5x Ink Saver (Main), 1/2 Run Speed Up
    Squidforce - 5x Damage Up, 1/2 Ink Saver Main
    Takoroka - 5x Special Charge Up, 1/2 Special Duration Up
    Tentatek - 5x Ink Recovery Up, 1/2 Quick Super Jump
    Zekko - 5x Special Saver, 1/2 Special Charge Up
    Zink - 5x Quick Super Jump, 1/2 Quick Respawn"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I have no idea what ye are on about with ordering stuff etc :pac:

I'll keep on trucking with my roller and stay out of trouble. Got 1400 on one map, no kills either way, felt great!:D

Finally up to level 10. Won first 2 ranked games. What's the story with the type of ranked match. Does it vary from day to day or just completely random? Got the same splat zone match both times. Much prefer turf war.

Ah, I thought you could order 1 of each type - ie headgear, body, shoe - per day. I certainly have 3 ordered :D Ah well....

@Johnpatrick81 - basically, if you walk up to anyone in the town square that serves as the game menu, you can hit A to look at their MiiVerse post and see their gear. The gear display shows you the brand name, the type of clothing and then icons for it's primary perk and smaller icons for the the secondary perks that are earned as you play while wearing the gear. If you hit X you can then order their gear and they get delivered to the spikey-haired bum in the alley over on the right hand side.
    There may be a quicker way to view available gear and order but I'm still in the middle of my first order so I dunno :D

There's a heavy focus on getting 3 Star gear as quickly as you can because
    • 3 stars is better than 2. It just is. Angry Birds rules, beeyatch!
    • 3 Star gear can earn up to 3 secondary perks, 2 star can only earn 2, 1 star can only earn 1
    • It takes time to earn those secondaries. Until you do, your 3 Star gear is not as good as levelled 2 Star gear.
    • 3 Star Gear becomes expensive after level 10
    So basically the sooner you buy it, the cheaper it is and the sooner you'll know if you have the right set of secondaries for your Ranked Battle load-out.

Interestingly, there were only 2 three-star tops and 2 three-star boots available in my town square, but lots of people had one of them - the red varsity jacket - which suggests that one guy unlocked it and everyone else is ordering it off him when he shows up in their menu :D Same for the Blue Biker Boots and the white Paintballing Mask.

Does the square populate off who you've been playing with? Maybe I need to start playing more global matches for variety.

BTW, had my first ever drop out owing to not enough players found yesterday. We had 7 for a fair amount of time, then back to the lobby. Bummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've found that if you're waiting any length of time for a full compliment of players drop out of that party and rejoin from the lobby and you get a game pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New Ink Brush DLC being added tomorrow.

I really like this constant drip-feed of content. Keeps the game fresh.

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-inkbrush-weapon-launches-for-splatoon-tomorrow/

Screen-Shot-2015-06-05-at-5.49.52-AM.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Looks like it functions a little like the roller! Wonder how it handles, or what benefits it has over the roller, as the obvious disadvantage is that it's got a narrower spread of ink

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Ink not painting, camera shaking wildly on tv, disconnects, being killed after killing someone running away and squidifying to reink, ink coming from nothing due to the person being killed and 30 seconds later the shots hitting me and killing me.

lots of crazy stuff, I kind of wish I could be arsed to record it, but I keep pressing continue instead.

I got some minor stuff in ranked today after work, here's a sample of the low-end lag I've been getting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCtZjBMQKvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdRF1rS2PLg

Just basic dying round corners stuff really, and delayed stuff. Tame compared to mondayish.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Just bought it there this evening :D Wains are hogging it at the minute but I'll get a blast when I road them to bed. NNID : JamesS74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

1 week later and I'm still really enjoying this, it's the most time I've ever spent playing an online game. I really like that you can earn points just by painting in Turf War rather than it being all about kills, so getting a decent personal score can take the sting out of your team losing.

The single player is excellent as well, much better than I expected. I was lucky enough to get the Inkling Amiibos as gifts and I love the twists they bring to the single player levels. It just seems a shame their challenges are locked behind hard to find figures.

Overall, I'm really impressed with Splatoon and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops as more new stuff is added.

elekid wrote: »
    1 week later and I'm still really enjoying this, it's the most time I've ever spent playing an online game. I really like that you can earn points just by painting in Turf War rather than it being all about kills, so getting a decent personal score can take the sting out of your team losing.

The single player is excellent as well, much better than I expected. I was lucky enough to get the Inkling Amiibos as gifts and I love the twists they bring to the single player levels. It just seems a shame their challenges are locked behind hard to find figures.

Overall, I'm really impressed with Splatoon and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops as more new stuff is added.

The fact that you can still make money for gear even if you lose, does make it less maddening when you lose alright. 30,000 for a jumper is starting to get a little steep though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

smokingman wrote: »
    The fact that you can still make money for gear even if you lose, does make it less maddening when you lose alright. 30,000 for a jumper is starting to get a little steep though...

30,000 a pop for 3 star gear with 1 ability open on it is a balls! Hopefully adding slots to upgrade gear will be cheaper.

how do you swap through specials?

I dont think you can? might be wrong tho. They are spread about on the differnent versions of the weapons as you level up.

Paintbrush is a load of ****e as far as I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

safetyboy wrote: »
    Paintbrush is a load of ****e as far as I can tell.

It's good in ranked where you need to close down space fast and engage in close quarters. I only played a bit with it but jumping while firing down is a good tactic.

how do you swap through specials?

You use the same gun with the different special.
    Like the roller with beacon and kraken or roller with killer wail and suction bomb.

I tried the item rejigger thing today, 30k to randomise my 3 slots again, seems very steep indeed. Is there no way to actually choose perks? Roulette is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tried the paintbrush and didn't like it, but clearly there's a knack since some were getting over a thousand in turf war with it. Seems to involve swinging the whole time

MR.E could you add me to the first post please. Thanks. NNID: JamesS74

Getting a lot of invisible ink today, yesterday was grand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cherryghost1

I'll be playing most evenings.

pretty unplayable today, servers must be hogged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sorry Starlord I decimated you this afternoon :P

how do you join in with ninty friends? do they auto join in the lobby?

• Advertisement

how do you join in with ninty friends? do they auto join in the lobby?

No, its pretty poor. You basically just join a game in progress and wait. In every game I joined Starlord I was against him, which was pretty disappointing. Nintendo really should sort this out. It's been terrible, it disjoints the online community (eg MK8, SSB etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Isn't the update due in August supposed to address this with private lobbies etc.?

level 15 now tried all weapons I could and still the splattershot jr seems the best.

I love the Jr but at level 9 I've just got an Aero MG and its fab. Could be a coincidence but I'm winning more fire fights and inking more turf. It has narrower coverage but sometimes that just means the paint goes where you wanted it too :-)

Banjo wrote: »
    I love the Jr but at level 9 I've just got an Aero MG and its fab. Could be a coincidence but I'm winning more fire fights and inking more turf. It has narrower coverage but sometimes that just means the paint goes where you wanted it too :-)

I'm the same - love the Aero MG and its seeker is awesome for firing off at the start of a war, jumping into the ink trail and getting to the middle of the map sooner than anyone else. I seem to get over 1000 points every match doing that no matter how bad I am for the rest of the match.

The Seeker works really well against rollers too - when you see one coming you fire one off and most of the time they'll just roll over the damn thing - if they survive, you finish the job with your high rate of fire and reasonable shot grouping :D
    It's a great decoy, since everyone seems to think you're going to follow it, freeing you up to slow-squid off to the side and spray them.

Have yet to see the seeker do much actual seeking though - can it only track the bad guys when they're "a kid now"?

• Advertisement

Yeah, if they're reasonably close to it. I've watched it veer off and follow one on the oil rig level before, popped a couple of people with it.

Can you have more than one inkling set up, the missus wants to start playing now :)

Could you not just set her up her own Mii and NNID? We have the missus, myself and two children with their own characters ranking up separately.

James74 wrote: »
    Could you not just set her up her own Mii and NNID? We have the missus, myself and two children with their own characters ranking up separately.

Never thought of that :pac:

So you can have your own character if you change NNID?
    Eeeenteresting. Very unwieldy but interesting... Would mean I wouldn't have to play as a girl anymore. Although I kinda like the way her tousled tentacles drape on her shoulders...

Are there other implications - such as access to other downloaded materials on the WiiU, or do you have to start a new Friends list?

Edit @TDLSTMAaaaaah below : I know, but my daughter will never forgive me. And much like Mr Jenner I'm finding that my online identity is inextricably tied to my long flowing tendrils.
    (Had to look Bruce Jenner up, mixed him up with Bruce Banner. Now I wish I hadn't googled him)
    I'm more interested in letting her play a Turf War without it damaging my reputation as a mediocre player :D

• Advertisement

Eeeenteresting. Very unwieldy but interesting... Would mean I wouldn't have to play as a girl anymore. Although I kinda like the way her tousled tentacles drape on her shoulders...

Are there other implications - such as access to other downloaded materials on the WiiU, or do you have to start a new Friends list?

You can switch the characters gender, much quicker then bruce jenner, anytime in the inkopolis area, on the wii u game pad > Options>Inkling>Change Gender if thats all you are looking to do.

...Are there other implications - such as access to other downloaded materials on the WiiU, or do you have to start a new Friends list?

Friends lists are completely separate (which is probably a positive, I'm not sure I want my daughter knowing some of the boards.ie reprobates I have on my friends list).
    All accounts have access to any games and dlc installed / downloaded on a WiiU.

New friends list is the only thing, as you'd have a new NNID.

I went home at lunch and checked weapons, no sign of Aero MG

I went home at lunch and checked weapons, no sign of Aero MG

I berieve you get the two aero guns for collecting scrolls in the singleplayer.

At least one of them, sketchy on the other one.

yeah, I think it's the 2nd or 3rd boss. After beating them both I hit the shops and they built it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah you get the mg after beating the 3rd boss.

3rd level is annoying, baaah

Welp, no matter how hard I tried not to match, I got matched against Lvl 16-20's all night last night, my lowly level 7 was not good enough. Everyone had better weapons than me, it was painful....

• Advertisement
Advertisement