Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bar staff

Options
  • 26-05-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

I was in Dublin for the weekend there. Had a great time but there was just one thing i noticed. Are bar staff in Dublin known for being rude and unfriendly?
    Perhaps I was just unfortunate but in every pub we were in on Saturday the bar staff were cold, unwelcoming and just generally acted like your presence there was a massive pain in the arse.
    I love Dublin, so I really dont want this to be some sort of country pub V city pub daftness but are there perhaps parts of the city or bars that are known for this type of thing? Really took me by surprise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Same in any town or city around the world. Some nice staff, some not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

what pubs were you in OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Usually people are friendly to you if you're friendly to them and bar staff are no different.

Maybe you're expecting too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

yabadabado wrote: »
    what pubs were you in OP?

I couldnt tell you their specific names but they were all in and around O'Connell Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

they can be unfriendly but they do prompt service.
    I've cried (almost literally) in the Uk waiting on bar staff to process an order.

• Advertisement

glued wrote: »
    Usually people are friendly to you if you're friendly to them and bar staff are no different.

Maybe you're expecting too much...

Well i was so taken aback by it in the first two places that I actually went out of my way to be extra friendly in case I'd said or done something I didnt realise.

And I'm hardly expecting to be fanned with ferns and fed grapes; this was borderline hostility. Like, the fact I even thought to make a thread on it should show how taken aback i was

arayess wrote: »
    they can be unfriendly but they do prompt service.
    I've cried (almost literally) in the Uk waiting on bar staff to process an order.

Aye I suppose I'd take a prompt, perfect pint from a grumbling wench over a pint of piss from an affable airhead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I couldnt tell you their specific names but they were all in and around O'Connell Street
    Pubs in and around o connell St would generally be busy all day long, staff don't really have time to be chatty.If you want something a little more homely and intimate I'd recommend Mother Kellys on Talbot St or the ha'penny bridge inn.Two of the best boozers in town imo

Pubs in and around o connell St would generally be busy all day long, staff don't really have time to be chatty.If you want something a little more homely and intimate I'd recommend Mother Kellys on Talbot St or the ha'penny bridge inn.Two of the best boozers in town imo

No it wasnt anything like that, I wasnt looking to have craic with them, they were unfriendly and rude. Two places we left after the first drink because the bar staff were borderline hostile.
    Could have been just a case of not being in Dublin all that much and going into places that prefer their regulars or a certain clientele or something.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for those places next time I'm down though

No it wasnt anything like that, I wasnt looking to have craic with them, they were unfriendly and rude. Two places we left after the first drink because the bar staff were borderline hostile.
    Could have been just a case of not being in Dublin all that much and going into places that prefer their regulars or a certain clientele or something.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for those places next time I'm down though

Ah,i see.Some people are just c@nts,no two ways about it.That said I rarely encounter rude staff in pubs in town and l spend a lot of time in them believe you me :)
    As a dub it pains me to say this,but the best bar staff in Ireland, possibly the world practice their craft in cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

In all my years of living and drinking all around Dublin I don't think I can recall a single memorable memory of bar staff being rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

One of the reasons I haven't been to a pub in years is that the staff have always been standoffish in my experience, and you have to forcefully push your way to them to order or they will ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

MrMorooka wrote: »
    One of the reasons I haven't been to a pub in years is that the staff have always been standoffish in my experience, and you have to forcefully push your way to them to order or they will ignore you.

Well, isn't this is the only way to get staffs attention in a busy pub, almost anywhere in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Ah come on. We all know what she means. Probably grunting to her instead of asking what he could get her. No please or thanks outta them either id bet. Its the new breed of dublin barman. They need punters to keep the job but resent you when you are there.
    Have been a barman most of my adult life on and off and manners are the one thing that keep punters coming back. Problem is the bars in and around the city centre couldnt care less if you ever come back. They aee mad busy and they dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

There are hundreds of pubs in Dublin.

Google has a bunch of lists people made of "best pubs".
    https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=best+pubs+dublin

Try some of them the next time yer down and see how you find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

It will vary from pub to pub... Some bigger pubs won't be friendly as the staff are so busy. I don't have much experience with pubs down that end of town - the only places near O'connell st I would drink in would be the oval bar on abbey street or brew dock near Connolly station.

Having said that, I have loads of pubs in Dublin I visit where the staff are lovely and polite and chatty!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Well, isn't this is the only way to get staffs attention in a busy pub, almost anywhere in the world?

Yeah true- I just don't like it though! Hence why I don't really engage in the pub scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I have drank in most pubs on and around O'Connell St. and don't think I can name any place were I had a bad experience.
    Granted it can be hard get served in some places because of the crowds but that is the same the world over and Irish bar staff are better than most.I was in London at the weekend and it was a nightmare getting drink it some places, some of the bar staff were ****in pathetic.

nosietoes wrote: »
    oval bar on abbey street or brew dock near Connolly station.

Both good choices.The brewdock is a good spot couldn't fault it the lads there are sound,very popular with the 'neckbeard brigade' but its good none the less.The oval is a gem.My words couldn't do it justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Probably too busy serving pints to stand around gossiping about who's getting married or has died in the parish.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Probably too busy serving pints to stand around gossiping about who's getting married or has died in the parish.

You nailed it there,everything's on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

If staff were rude to me in a pub I'd be pretty sure I'd remember the name of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

I was in Dublin for the weekend there. Had a great time but there was just one thing i noticed. Are bar staff in Dublin known for being rude and unfriendly? Perhaps I was just unfortunate but in every pub we were in on Saturday the bar staff were cold, unwelcoming and just generally acted like your presence there was a massive pain in the arse. I love Dublin, so I really dont want this to be some sort of country pub V city pub daftness but are there perhaps parts of the city or bars that are known for this type of thing? Really took me by surprise

No, I agree op most of them are pure and utter a**wipes. Can't imagine what service would look like if it bit me. I'm a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Only pub near O'Connell St. I'd drink in is the Oval. Friendly staff (unless they're mobbed which can happen).
    Last weekend in particular probably took some pubs by surprise. I know the Stags Head was prepared for the Yes vote celebrations but even there they weren't expecting the day to be busier than Paddys Day (the till does not lie). So maybe just a bad weekend to base a theory on.
    Oh...and if one of the pubs off O'Connell St. was a Madigans, yup - it's an unfriendly dump designed for people who want to play with their phones.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I was in the Parnell Heritage Bar not too long ago and found the we were treated very well. Granted the place wasn't too busy at the time but left with a good impression of the place.

The Oval is a great spot alright, as is the Brewdock, though it's a bit of a stroll from O'Connell Street.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

In all my years of living and drinking all around Dublin I don't think I can recall a single memorable memory of bar staff being rude.

Do you have any memories at all ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

There's always some toothless hags puffing about that Mother Kelly's door not too long after the morning when I pass by. Not attacking your recommendation but some of the heads about it don't imbue a feeling of welcome, calm or the good idea of dropping into a tavern for a swift one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

colossus-x wrote: »
    Do you any memories at all ?

I think you're forgetting some words to form a coherent question yourself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

anncoates wrote: »
    This.

In 30 years always found Dublin bar staff to be efficient and courtious. A thousand times more than most cities in the World.

Has the OP been to Paris, London, NYC or some former Soviet state cities like Riga or Bratislava ?

• Advertisement

Stojkovic wrote: »
    This.

In 30 years always found Dublin bar staff to be efficient and courtious. A thousand times more than most cities in the World.

Has the OP been to Paris, London, NYC or some former Soviet state cities like Riga or Bratislava ?

yeah but like I said, the places were not busy and i was not looking to stand around chatting with them, i was with a group of friends i hadnt seen in ages.

Advertisement