Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bar staff

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I used to work in a busy Baggot Street pub back in the day and there were times where you would be so busy that it would be too hard to talk to customers other than to say "€x please" and "thank you" or "cheers".

Different clientele to O'Connell St places though so the basic manners and courtesy were easy to uphold to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

There's always some toothless hags puffing about that Mother Kelly's door not too long after the morning when I pass by. Not attacking your recommendation but some of the heads about it don't imbue a feeling of welcome, calm or the good idea of dropping into a tavern for a swift one.

Don't judge a book by its cover.Im one of those 'heads' I'm from close by,once you don't act the bollix you'll make many friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Don't judge a book by its cover.Im one of those 'heads' I'm from close by,once you don't act the bollix you'll make many friends.

Heh. Sorry fella. I suppose there's plenty of these pubs that fall into the category of undesirable morning houses.

I might take a look inside sometime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I used to work in a busy Baggot Street pub back in the day and there were times where you would be so busy that it would be too hard to talk to customers other than to say "€x please" and "thank you" or "cheers".

Different clientele to O'Connell St places though so the basic manners and courtesy were easy to uphold to everyone.

I get that. I worked in a bar myself (albeit briefly, 3 months or so) but this is not, as I have said, what I'm talking about. They weren't busy, I wasn't looking to chat, "Please, thank you and cheers" would have been fantastic had they come.
    What Im talking about is 4 or 5 bars in a row where bar staff acted as if your presence in their largely empty bar was a huge inconvenience. Standing chatting to each other while you stood at the bar waiting on them, audible sighs and eye rolls every time you had the temerity to request a drink, not speaking at all except to say "18 euro" or whatever it was and one girl in particular acted like i was shit on her shoe when I asked for Magners instead of Bulmers (despite the fact that their own tap says Magners on it).

Now like I said, Im very fond of Dublin, so I have no problem believing that I was just unfortunate and got a couple of the wrong people on the wrong day. I was just wondering is perhaps that area around O'Connell street always so busy and full of new customers that staff in that area act however they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 merro10

One night I was in one and it was busy to be fair, so me and the girlfriend were standing as there was no seats. There was 2 bars and for some reason one of them had more people queuing than the other. So I go to the less busy one and eventually get to the counter after one or two were served in front of me. The barman serves the chap next to me. Then goes to the other side of me. Then goes back to the other side where a new customer came up. I called him when he finished with the next customer and he acknowledged I was next by saying "I know your waiting there I'll get you now one min". Fair enough I thought at least he noticed. Then some good looking girl comes straight up to the bar and the barman skips me again for the 4th time and says to her "how are you, what can I get you?". I was actually more surprised than annoyed. Got fed up went back to the girlfriend told her what happened and asked her to go up as he seemed to be serving girls ahead of guys even if the guys where there longer. We walked over together and I waited just behind the girlfriend as she got served straight away and I had to keep sending her up for the rest of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd have waited till he put it on the Bar then told him to stick it up his hole and left
    merro10 wrote: »
    One night I was in one and it was busy to be fair, so me and the girlfriend were standing as there was no seats. There was 2 bars and for some reason one of them had more people queuing than the other. So I go to the less busy one and eventually get to the counter after one or two were served in front of me. The barman serves the chap next to me. Then goes to the other side of me. Then goes back to the other side where a new customer came up. I called him when he finished with the next customer and he acknowledged I was next by saying "I know your waiting there I'll get you now one min". Fair enough I thought at least he noticed. Then some good looking girl comes straight up to the bar and the barman skips me again for the 4th time and says to her "how are you, what can I get you?". I was actually more surprised than annoyed. Got fed up went back to the girlfriend told her what happened and asked her to go up as he seemed to be serving girls ahead of guys even if the guys where there longer. We walked over together and I waited just behind the girlfriend as she got served straight away and I had to keep sending her up for the rest of the night.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 25 merro10

uch wrote: »
    I'd have waited till he put it on the Bar then told him to stick it up his hole and left
    I was debating wether or not to get her to order 6 pints and 3 vodkas and mixers off him and then walk away after he placed all the drink on the counter and say we had to leave but said I'd better be mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

merro10 wrote: »
    I was debating wether or not to get her to order 6 pints and 3 vodkas and mixers off him and then walk away after he placed all the drink on the counter and say we had to leave but said I'd better be mature.

Easily resold. Next time get her to bat her eyelashes and order 6 Irish coffees.....then a disappearing act. I've known barmen face down killers yet still go home to nightmares about Irish coffees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

The City Centre pub with the best service is Reade's opposite Store St Garda Station. Couldn't tell you who any of the bar staff are but definitely the best in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Warrior1916

City centre staff are terrible. ..you need to head to the suburbs for better service...I had the rudest manager ever charge €3 for a pint of blackcurrant in The BACHELOR INN but receipt said coke. When I queried the receipt and price he told myself and my bf we could leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

City centre staff are terrible. ..you need to head to the suburbs for better service...I had the rudest manager ever charge €3 for a pint of blackcurrant in The BACHELOR INN but receipt said coke. When I queried the receipt and price he told myself and my bf we could leave.

Hahaha I know who you're taking about there and he's an utter tool who shouldn't be in any profession where he's dealing with customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

WealthyB wrote: »
    Hahaha I know who you're taking about there and he's an utter tool who shouldn't be in any profession where he's dealing with customers.

I've walked out of the same kip for the same reason.

Other than that its hard to believe the OP was here on a weekend and and found so many bars which were not busy around O'Connell Street, esp last weekend when Dublin city bars (I work in one) had one of the busiest trades due to the YES victory in the Marriage Equality Referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Easily resold. Next time get her to bat her eyelashes and order 6 Irish coffees.....then a disappearing act. I've known barmen face down killers yet still go home to nightmares about Irish coffees.

Haha this is very true. Hot whiskey/port does the trick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Having lived in the city centre for the past 15 years, I can assure you that there are plenty if sound, super polite barmen not in the suburbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I've walked out of the same kip for the same reason.

Other than that its hard to believe the OP was here on a weekend and and found so many bars which were not busy around O'Connell Street, esp last weekend when Dublin city bars (I work in one) had one of the busiest trades due to the YES victory in the Marriage Equality Referendum.

We initially got down there pretty early in the day. Got the train from Newry at half 11 so by the time we got checked into the place we were staying and all Id say it was round 2 or so

Advertisement