Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Never Mind The Buzzcocks

• 26-05-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Sad to see it go. The crème de la crème of music based panel shows (the only music based panel show? :confused:).

It was great while it lasted. We'll always have the memories. :)
    The irreverent music-themed panel show launched on BBC Two in November 1996 and ran for 28 series and 269 episodes, the last of which aired in December 2014. The previous July, Rhod Gilbert joined the show as its first permanent presenter in five years, but he was unable to improve its ratings, which had been in steady decline for some time.
    Read more at http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/bbc-axes-never-mind-the-buzzcocks-after-18-years/379377#J1ZeA602hymyXBb6.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Was never the same when Simon Amstell left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Was never the same when he started. Odious little polyp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: I've moved this over to the Television (General) forum. Please note this forums charter: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122871

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Mark Lamarr was the show. Became unwatchable after he left.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Sad to see it go. The crème de la crème of music based panel shows (the only music based panel show? :confused:).

It was great while it lasted. We'll always have the memories. :)

There was "pop quiz" in the 80's.

Ian Gillan knew everything and his team always won

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, last time it was good. And any episode with Phil Jupitus was to be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

endacl wrote: »

Well, let's just agree that it was never the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Amstell was marmite alright.. I thought he was excellent, but very cruel!

It wasn't just limited to Buzzcocks to be honest as was proved by his Popworld interviews:

Watched all of the final season with Gilbert as host and he was very good to be fair.. the show needed a permanent host to be honest. The guest hosts format of the last few years just did not work!

Shame to see it go though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sad, I quite liked Rhod Gilbert...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

I thought it died years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Never the same after simon left, but if u,ve a spare 25minutes Google nmtb Frankie Boyle - legendary! Shoulda got Frankie in full time.
    Noel fielding I never got him - a hair cut n ridiculous clothes to deflect that he was crap I thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think it has been dying since Simon Amstell left. The extended run of guest presenters did nothing for the show, most people had lost interest before Rhod Gilbert got his chance.

Time for the BBC to retire it and try something new, but it was a good show in its day. I enjoyed the early Mark Lamarr series and Simon Amstell's programmes.

It is well represented on Youtube, lots to enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,011 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What Mark Lamarr up to these days?

I wasn't a huge fan of Amstell but this was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, last time it was good. And any episode with Phil Jupitus was to be avoided.

Which was most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I always assumed they stopped making it ages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Got bored with it very quickly.
    love music and music quizzes but the sections with the line-ups of some obscure backing musician from 1981, or the section where they had to reproduce a song introduction, bored the crap out of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

When Sean Hughes and Lamar left I still watched but I didn't find bill funny at all. Had enough of Amstall after awhile. He's like an annoying friend you secretly want to dig the head off but you put up with him cos there is nothing else to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

endacl wrote: »

Repped,I always hated that horrible twerp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

human 19 wrote: »
    Got bored with it very quickly.
    love music and music quizzes but the sections with the line-ups of some obscure backing musician from 1981, or the section where they had to reproduce a song introduction, bored the crap out of me

And the fact that everyone on the panel had to pretend not to know who it was in order to draw it out more despite it being blindingly obvious straight off most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

When Amstell appeared all the guests were flavour of the month hipster gimps like Miquita Oliver and the rest of the skinny jeans/vest brigade.

Lamarr had proper music legends like Lemmy, Alice Cooper, Slash etc. Lamarr and Bill Bailey worked well off each other.

Lee Mack was excellent when he was host and should have been given the permanent job over Gilbert. As much as I like Frankie Boyle I don't think I could take his brand of humour every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was good when it first started but got a bit stale towards the end....

there was an element of bullying to it that i didn't like, most notably directed towards...

Preston, Jedward, Lemmy, Gail Porter, Bill Oddie

anyway anything that gets Phil Jupitus off the air can't be all that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

fryup wrote: »
    was good when it first started but got a bit stale towards the end....

there was an element of bullying to it that i didn't like, most notably directed towards...

Preston, Jedward, Lemmy, Gail Porter, Bill Oddie

anyway anything that gets Phil Jupitus off the air can't be all that bad

It became more bullying and less funny. No loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I love this one with Brian McFatten. Showed himself up to be a complete tosser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ah, the best episode was the one with Donny Tourette. His attempts to be punk were hilariously misguided.

(Tourette to Bailey)

"You'd do pretty well on the streets, 'cause you're pretty ugly..."

(Amstell to Tourette)

"I should explain something to you - Bill is a professional comedian....You won't win!"

I liked Lamarr for his music knowledge, but he could be very coarse. Both main hosts were good, IMO. Amstell had some great wit at times.

(Kelly Rowland to Amstell)

"The power of Christ compels you!"

(Amstell)

"I'm a JEWWWW!"

And it did get more hipstery with Amstell, but that wasn't lost on him or the show. Wasn't there an episode where they jokingly replaced a guest before the quiz began because he fell off the NME cool list?

Overall not sad to see it go. Definitely went past its sell-by date. Panel shows are tough going but they're cheap to make. I used to really like Room 101 because it was basically a chat show where the guests could have a good moan and be funny. They pannelised it, and it's never been the same since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

briany wrote: »
    And it did get more hipstery with Amstell, but that wasn't lost on him or the show. Wasn't there an episode where they jokingly replaced a guest before the quiz began because he fell off the NME cool list?

Yeah, whatever happened to Flipchart Hiatus? :)

I liked Simon Amstell's shows. He has a talent for taking the piss out of Pop people, as he also displayed on Popworld.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    When Amstell appeared all the guests were flavour of the month hipster gimps like Miquita Oliver and the rest of the skinny jeans/vest brigade.

Lamarr had proper music legends like Lemmy, Alice Cooper, Slash etc. Lamarr and Bill Bailey worked well off each other.

Lee Mack was excellent when he was host and should have been given the permanent job over Gilbert. As much as I like Frankie Boyle I don't think I could take his brand of humour every week.

In all fairness to Amstell, I reckon it was because they just couldn't get the good musical acts - the hipster of the weeks were the ones that were most eager to be there. If anything, Amstell knew that they probably wouldn't still be around by the time the episode aired and constantly made fun of them because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭briany

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, whatever happened to Flipchart Hiatus? :)

I liked Simon Amstell's shows. He has a talent for taking the piss out of Pop people, as he also displayed on Popworld.

Yeah, that's him. I googled the name, and it turns out he was just an extra used to make that joke. I thought he was real. :o I'm sure I wasn't the only one who assumed he was just some uber-cool indie darling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ranchu wrote: »
    Mark Lamarr was the show. Became unwatchable after he left.

Yeah he had the perfect tone for the thing, was utter crap after he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Birneybau wrote: »
    Which was most of them.

True, but with Amstell presenting you didn't mind, after that he was just a pain, same when he's on QI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

It really should have ended after the compilation series 'What a load of Buzzcocks'. It was obvious that the show didn't have much of a future at that stage.

Advertisement