Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2017, Sat 26th August

Options
  • 26-05-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

A few missed this last year so.... Registration opening at 4pm this Thursday 28th June. Total of 850 places. First 150 places will already be gone to Sligonians and Strandhillians on Wednesday. The remaining 700 places will sell out well within the hour so be ready at 4pm Thursday!

€40 euro sounds steep but ask anyone who's been!

Website

and Route Map

Previous Results:
    2014 results
    2013 results

Previous Threads:
    Last years thread
    2013 Thread
    2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

In

In, by the skin of my teeth.

That took it right bloody out of me that did :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Balls! Completely forgot and missed out.
    /sits around transfer lurking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

In!
    Balls! Completely forgot and missed out.
    /sits around transfer lurking

There are always dozens that spring onto the transfer list close to race time. Youll deffo get in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

28th June?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'm in!

Better get practising at some hill races so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I'm not in but looking forward to watching the race, especially the head-to-head of Demfad v's Krusty.

Better get practising at some hill races so :-)
    There's a hill? :eek:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

It's only small, a wee nipple of a yoke :p

• Advertisement

Gradual incline moreso

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Got my place at The Strand last night.
    Gradual incline moreso

More downhill though.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Got my place at The Strand last night.

More downhill though.

Mostly downhill like

I'm not this excited and enthusiastic (below from Social Media.)
    But I'm not far off!

"Registration done for my xxth succecutive Warriors run! See you all in August for the greatest racing event on Earth."

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I'm in!
    Good stuff. Will be interesting to see how you fair.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I missed registration; only remembered during club session that night... by the time we were finished and I got home it was full. I'll keep an eye out on the website for cancellations. I want to have a go again as there are a few more minutes there for me from last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Anyone interested in an entry to this?

It's free on the condition that you want to do the event and not just to sell it on.

I presume transfers are straight forward enough.

1st PM gets it. Enjoy

EDIT: Entry gone, thanks Demfad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mullser

I've one place available to transfer for this if somebody wants it?
    Let me know and we can sort it by pm for the first taker 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mullser

mullser wrote: »
    I've one place available to transfer for this if somebody wants it?
    Let me know and we can sort it by pm for the first taker 😊

The above place is now gone, can't edit the post.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Ran the route minus the mountain during the week, never had done it before.

My God the Glen Road is ridiculous!

• Advertisement

Ran the route minus the mountain during the week, never had done it before.

My God the Glen Road is ridiculous!

As weird as it sounds the actual route is not that much more mentally difficult from running around the mountain. If a "change is as good as a break" then you get a "break" for the off-road bit.
    Many will walk a lot of the uphill so there is a break of sorts there for the running muscles. Coming down is hard on the legs but the heart rate comes down a bit (or should), and is a good mental break from the hard grind.
    Unfortunately due to the mountain being in the legs, the late parts of the road back sometimes feel...unpleasant.... to say the least. The glen road is special allright though.
    Dont know why I look forward to this race. But I do. Best of luck.

Edit: I did the Knocknarea loop 8 miler last weekend. A good prep for the warriors. Maybe one for next year if youre doing it again.

Looking forward to the race, though my training has largely all been flat-land marathon-specific training (did do a long run up to Glencree, and some hill repeats over the last two weeks though).

What's the down-hill like? Is it technical?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

demfad wrote: »
    As weird as it sounds the actual route is not that much more mentally difficult from running around the mountain. If a "change is as good as a break" then you get a "break" for the off-road bit.
    Many will walk a lot of the uphill so there is a break of sorts there for the running muscles. Coming down is hard on the legs but the heart rate comes down a bit (or should), and is a good mental break from the hard grind.
    Unfortunately due to the mountain being in the legs, the late parts of the road back sometimes feel...unpleasant.... to say the least. The glen road is special allright though.
    Dont know why I look forward to this race. But I do. Best of luck.

Edit: I did the Knocknarea loop 8 miler last weekend. A good prep for the warriors. Maybe one for next year if youre doing it again.

Would have done it this year, but I was in Edinburgh at the time this year.
    Plan to give the mountain another run around on Monday just to see if I can beat my time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Looking forward to the race, though my training has largely all been flat-land marathon-specific training (did do a long run up to Glencree, and some hill repeats over the last two weeks though).

Its a few years since I did it but if I recall it was short steep but rocky enough. Certainly on the technical side but its a small piece of the overall distance. Best of luck.

Hi Krusty. The first half of the downhill is gravel first, then steep and mostly grassy, a little bit of rock near the end. Like descending a long flight of stairs. Technical because its steep, but if you had 10 pints of micro brewery in you, you could manage it in under 2 mins. Normally Takes 2 minutes something that bit. Next bit is on a shallow path. Its stony, but not enough to be really technical. You need to just run with the same effort as if it was a tarmac downhill with 7k left to race. You just have to concentrate on slight (and not so slight) adjustmensts to foot placements.

Overall, you dont want to slow unnecessarily, and you dont want to tire yourself unnecessarly.

Fastest descent time last year in total was about 4:40.

A tip would be to look at descending videos online, steep descending if possible. Killian jornet should have loads. I dont know if its the kids thing with copying but being able to watch descents helps for sure.

Edit: the first part is a lovely relief after the climb and is exhilerating. The second part you can use as a transition back into the road.

Best attitude is not to think of running fast down, instead think of avoiding slowing down as much as possible. Making time by saving time. Dont force the fast bits and try as much as possibly to concentrate and stay relaxed through each of the slower bits.

Did the 8 mile loop route a few of weeks ago, The Glen Road wrecked my hip as did the camber of the road when running against traffic. My plan is to run in the middle of the road where to possible to avoid the sciatica flaring up again. Going to have to take it easy enough though as I have the great north run half marathon in a few weeks and dublin marathon coming up after that so avoiding injury is my main concern on the day. Will try to avoid dislocating ribs like last year too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

demfad wrote: »

Fastest descent time last year in total was about 4:40.
    Took me 8:30 the other day in practice. I was been careful on it as it was foggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Was looking at my previous times from 2012 & 2013.
    Excuses of lack of training aside, I would still hop to take some time off those two runs.

The question is...
    Do I hold back on the initial run to the climb, saving legs for it & the run back on the road?
    OR
    Do I go for it from the off, hoping to get ahead of people as it's hard to make ground on the climb?

I held back at the start in 2013, and managed the clim quicker, descent was a little slower, but my run home was nearly 90 seconds better off.

descisons, decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Its a few years since I did it but if I recall it was short steep but rocky enough. Certainly on the technical side but its a small piece of the overall distance. Best of luck.

I did it same year as SJ - he was the only one to pass me on the downhill. I had done a few recce's on that part of the route which helped. Looking back on my race report, it took me about 16 mins to ascend and 6 mins to descend so less than 10% of the total time. The start of the descent is a gravel path, then there is a steeper grassy section. After an open gate there is a nice fast section, then after the turn it gets a bit bumpy. If it is wet the rocks here can be slippy - I had a near miss on a test run. On a bad day the grassy bit is dangerous too but in good conditions, the downhill is the most enjoyable part where you can let gravity do its job and just lift your feet off the ground as quickly as possible.

For me the most important thing is not to go out too fast - I passed so many people on the early part of the climb who had got carried away with themselves and the atmosphere at the start. The toughest section can be the rolling hills after the descent where I ended up running on my own for most of the way. At the end of that there is a nice downhill to loosen out the legs again and once you reach the main road its about 2km to the finish.

I am planning to be out there to cheer you all on this Saturday.
    @Krusty - there should be a few familiar faces in the top 10 that you would beat in a 10 mile race so I will be expecting to see you well up there.

• Advertisement

Was looking at my previous times from 2012 & 2013.
    Excuses of lack of training aside, I would still hop to take some time off those two runs.

The question is...
    Do I hold back on the initial run to the climb, saving legs for it & the run back on the road?
    OR
    Do I go for it from the off, hoping to get ahead of people as it's hard to make ground on the climb?

I held back at the start in 2013, and managed the clim quicker, descent was a little slower, but my run home was nearly 90 seconds better off.

descisons, decisions

There can be a lot of bodies on the climb but there is room to pass. As a rule I run within myself to the top of the hill @ 1k. At that stage I'm warmed up and unlikely to overpace so I start to gently pick it up.

Anywhere there is recovery to be had on the climb, take it. So if you get stuck behind runners, be patient, take the recovery but definately move passed once it opens up again.

The last flattish bit over to the cairn I would generally try and run comfortably. You might lose a few seconds but if you have a good descent you'll gain a minute. On the lower part try and stay as relaxed as possible. Slightly slower here and you'll feel a lot better on the road home.

Overall if you feel you gave an even enough effort, that will be almost the fastest possible time for you. Most people put in too much too early (as DNA said) and the pace on the road going back reflects this for many.

Advertisement