Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2017, Sat 26th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Transfers close in 6 hours. There are several places available from people who cant run on the website if anyone fancies a crack at this race in Strandhill this weekend.

http://www.warriorsfestival.com/messageboard.php?controller=pjLoad&action=pjActionIndex&pjPage=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

So how's everyone fixed?
    Weather seems to suggest showers around the time of the race but light winds from S/SE which wouldn't hurt.
    I'd be weary of the roads being greasy from car park coming off the mountain and again at the church going back onto the Strandhill road near finish as the road surfaces there aren't the best.

Otherwise looking forward to it and blissfully ignorant of the 300m odd climb in the middle....

Last training run this morning, short and slow with some hill sprints included, and I felt it in my calves. Be grand. Be grand.

Sorry, Just to mention that John Lenihan will be signing his running book in Strandhill for the event.

For those who don't know John won the first 5 races from 1985-89 and these performances contributed massively to the prestige, reputation and fearfulness of this race.
    With a 10 mile PB of 47 mins and being of world mountain running championship winning calibre, he was simply untouchable against all competitors local or foreign. His winning time of 50 mins on the old course (1 min longer I believe so equivalent to 49 mins today) is a time that will probably never be bettered or approached.

The long hair Kerry athlete was hugely popular locally. And the feeling was mutual. In 1991 when he won the world mountain running title in Switzerland he didn't go to straight home to Kerry. He went directly from the plane to Strandhill to show the trophy locally and to the local schools.

Years later on the 21st anniversary of that first race, when Lenihans feats had faded to myth, and people began to doubt, the master returned to demolish the field in one of his most commanding victories over a strong field of young rivals.

He's friendly, polite and witty personality is at odds with his fearlfulness on the mountains so say hello!

The book is great value and a great read with plenty on the Warriors run, training and his very interesting upbringing on the Stacks mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Good luck tomorrow folks.

Hope the weather is kind, be careful on the decent.

Have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Good luck tomorrow everyone doing it ☺

1:27 for myself, will take that kindly off 20 miles a week and no hill training at all ☺

Ian Conroy had some performance to win and beat a good field too. Pity Dunleavy didn't square up against him but another time maybe.

Fierce warm out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Well done all.
    Always a great event to watch and enjoy the atmosphere.

Nice time from Conroy - also Krusty_Clown, Bazman and Demfad

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result.aspx?v=2848

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

That was an enjoyable run. Knocked 30 seconds off my time from 2013 so happy out with 1:19:12.
    All of it was picked up on the descent, while I was a few seconds slower getting to the mountain, but evened it out being a few seconds quicker coming back to the finish.

Had a stretch goal of sub 1:19, but didn't really think it was achievable based off my lack of training. Happy to get that close to it to be honest and its a good sign ahead of Dingle Half in 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

First time doing it. I was a bit disappointed with my climb I thought I would be able to give more but it got the better of me. I was one minute 34 faster then my best training time going down. Overall a hour and fifteen which I was happy with as I hadn't a time in my head as a goal.

• Advertisement

Hope a great day was had by all. Race report HERE

Ye have 10 mins.......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

It hasn't sold out yet. Are numbers down a bit this?

People have copped on to the charade that the committee are and why they won't address why the event is 40 when overheads are no than any event across the north west.
    900 entries x 40 euro is a lot more than is spent on the race.

They tried to drum up business for pubs in Strandhill last night too buy getting people to "queue" for a running race entry in a pub ffs.
    Never occurred to use the soccer clubs house or golf club up the road.
    Chancers.

I say this as a paying customer for the sixth time now so more fool me..

Numbers are down for races all over the country this year it seems.

People have copped on to the charade that the committee are and why they won't address why the event is 40 when overheads are no than any event across the north west.
    900 entries x 40 euro is a lot more than is spent on the race.

They tried to drum up business for pubs in Strandhill last night too buy getting people to "queue" for a running race entry in a pub ffs.
    Never occurred to use the soccer clubs house or golf club up the road.
    Chancers.

I say this as a paying customer for the sixth time now so more fool me..

Putting it mildly, I think that post is very unfair and cant be left unchallenged

When we were getting our signed books off John Lenihan at the registration last year he said to myself and my Dad that every race organiser in the country should come to Strandhill to observe and take note on how the race is organised and run their own race accordingly.

There was a large group down from Newcastle AC (Co Down) one year and Marty a prominent member told me that at first they thought the price was steep, but after the race he said everyone thought it was more than worth it, again citing the organisation and experience.

Now the Warriors festival has an AGM and other meetings year round. If you have any issues with how you think entry fee is being spent you should listen to the financial report at their AGM and if you are not satisfied then air your concerns there. Anyone can join the committee too.....

The reason you keep coming back is the reason that I do and many others do. Not because we are fools. Its because we love the race. The committee produce the race year in/year out.

There is a general decline in registration along with wider trends nationally this year. If the issue was the entry fee then there would have been a drop years ago.

If you ever decide not to race you can always watch the runners summit the cairn streamed live to the massive screen at the beach front, or else you could avail of any of the excellent live music that is on offer in the race marquis or on the beachfront.

The Strandhill peninsula is now a huge resource for Strandhill people, Sligo town folk to enoy. You even get visitors from places as obscure as Rosses Point. :pac:

Don't underestimate the role of the Warriors run in the areas development.

I wouldn't just write it off as numbers are down nationally in races as there are races which are going against current trends and getting bigger numbers. You'd know better yourself demfad but as a casual observer there didn't seem to be as much hype or advertising about it this year. I wasn't going to register for it this year as it has a higher potential to cause injury then your regular road race and I've my eye on Dublin marathon but I always really enjoy it, especially towards the finish line. Always a great buzz around and in fairness it is a very well organised race. You will do well to find any better organised races around. I see I can still do it on line so I think I'll risk it :)

demfad wrote: »
    Putting it mildly, I think that post is very unfair and cant be left unchallenged

When we were getting our signed books off John Lenihan at the registration last year he said to myself and my Dad that every race organiser in the country should come to Strandhill to observe and take note on how the race is organised and run their own race accordingly.

There was a large group down from Newcastle AC (Co Down) one year and Marty a prominent member told me that at first they thought the price was steep, but after the race he said everyone thought it was more than worth it, again citing the organisation and experience.

Now the Warriors festival has an AGM and other meetings year round. If you have any issues with how you think entry fee is being spent you should listen to the financial report at their AGM and if you are not satisfied then air your concerns there. Anyone can join the committee too.....

The reason you keep coming back is the reason that I do and many others do. Not because we are fools. Its because we love the race. The committee produce the race year in/year out.

There is a general decline in registration along with wider trends nationally this year. If the issue was the entry fee then there would have been a drop years ago.

If you ever decide not to race you can always watch the runners summit the cairn streamed live to the massive screen at the beach front, or else you could avail of any of the excellent live music that is on offer in the race marquis or on the beachfront.

The Strandhill peninsula is now a huge resource for Strandhill people, Sligo town folk to enoy. You even get visitors from places as obscure as Rosses Point. :pac:

Don't underestimate the role of the Warriors run in the areas development.

But did I question how well organized it is?
    No I didn't so stick to my point if you want to discuss the cost of the race versus output.

There are many races in the country half the price and just as well organized.
    How do they do it?

A solution to the cost would be to half the price and have wave starts to allow many more participants over the afternoon.
    Alternatively add an adventure race on the Sunday or make a themed road race excluding the mountain.

That in turn would bring far more footfall to the area over that weekend, if promoting the area is what the overall goal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

But did I question how well organized it is?
    No I didn't so stick to my point if you want to discuss the cost of the race versus output.

There are many races in the country half the price and just as well organized.
    How do they do it?

A solution to the cost would be to half the price and have wave starts to allow many more participants over the afternoon.
    Alternatively add an adventure race on the Sunday or make a themed road race excluding the mountain.

That in turn would bring far more footfall to the area over that weekend, if promoting the area is what the overall goal is.

They're awful ideas. Would ruin a classic race over night. A road race without the mountain?

They seem to be completely transparent when it comes to the finances? Money all goes back to the community?

• Advertisement

There is a road race a few weeks before the Warriors Run that follows the WR route but doesn't get big numbers compared to the main event

Djoucer wrote: »
    They're awful ideas. Would ruin a classic race over night. A road race without the mountain?

They seem to be completely transparent when it comes to the finances? Money all goes back to the community?

There is a road version that happens a month before the race and its already very popular even though its only started in recent years.

As for the finances if you are aware of the organizers posting their accounts I'd be as happy to see a copy or link to the details as anyone.
    I assume you are just trolling at this stage though.

People query why the numbers are down. I suggested that people are put off at the price of the entry fee alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

There is a road version that happens a month before the race and its already very popular even though its only started in recent years.

As for the finances if you are aware of the organizers posting their accounts I'd be as happy to see a copy or link to the details as anyone.

People query why the numbers are down. I suggested that people are put off at the price of the entry fee alone.

You're the one criticising the cost. Prove the entry fee isn't worth it versus how it's spent?

The company accounts are available at the agm?

Given the race has consistently sold out for many a year, suggesting they have the entry fee right. It's far too early suggest the numbers are down. It's not on till August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

40 euros is expensive but by all accounts its a quality event. I'm entered this year for the first time and looking forward to it, Il know then Wether it's good value or not. I have ran 2 half marathons this year and both were 40 euro to enter on the day 30 online and while both were well organised there was nothing unique or special about them. I think many races are over priced some exorbently so but I feel I will consider the warrior race good value.

Not trolling but how can you say it's a quality event if you haven't run it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Not trolling but how can you say it's a quality event if you haven't run it yet?

He said "by all accounts it's a quality event". Must say I've heard very few negative comments about this race, bar one or two posters on this thread.

Mystery of the lack of interest solved.....

http://www.longfordmarathon.com/

Note that the warriors had sold out within minutes for the last 5 years.
    This is the first time they have clashed I think?

Mystery of the lack of interest solved.....

http://www.longfordmarathon.com/

Note that the warriors had sold out within minutes for the last 5 years.
    This is the first time they have clashed I think?

They nearly always clash.

The recent rush for places started in 2009, when it changed to Saturday instead of Sunday. More accessable for those who wished to travel.
    The numbers jumped from 400-500 to a cap of 800. It sold out but slowly, as other races.
    One year the last few hundred places started selling more quickly and then suddenly they were snapped up. Next year it sold out within two hours and then for 4-5 years until last year it sold out in minutes.
    There was a lot of annoyance amongst locals who missed out so the committee made sure that 300 places were sold locally.
    Then there were people who couldnt run and were stuck with tickets and those who wanted to run who had no tickets.
    They set up the transfer system to address this (one of the few in Ireland).
    That means that people looking for/looking to off-load an entry could advertise (on their site) to transfer. I.e running under your own name, details etc.
    That worked extremely well. The committee didnt have to do this, it brought in no extra money. They were just interested in people getting to race.
    This worked so well that almost anyone who wanted to race, could race.
    IMO the decline in the frenzy come check in time is due to a drop in numbers nationally mixed with the ability to get an entry through transfer anyway.
    So there is no need to gamble on the entry fee anymore if your not sure.

My main objection was your calling the comittee a "charade" on a public forum. They are the opposite of that. They selflessly work hard overs everal months to put on the best event in the country.

Registration open

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Registration open

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

I'm in. Flights booked from Perth, should be over the jet lag just in time :D

Advertisement