Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2017, Sat 26th August

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Decided to run this as its in memory of my brother in laws father. Looking forward to it. Looks like a fun event if not slightly terrifying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Looking for registration for this if anyone can help please?

annieee wrote:
    Looking for registration for this if anyone can help please?

Has it sold out already?

Anyone any training tips? Not done a huge amouny of hill running this season as have been focussing on triathlon training. What actually is this distance up hill and how tough is it?

Anyone in the Limerick area doing this so we can train together? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Slideways

panda100 wrote: »
    Has it sold out already?

Anyone any training tips? Not done a huge amouny of hill running this season as have been focussing on triathlon training. What actually is this distance up hill and how tough is it?

Anyone in the Limerick area doing this so we can train together? :)

I've only done it once before. When you leave Strandhill you are climbing on the road almost immediately for about 1km then there's a gentle down and a bit of reasonably level bit of tarmac before you hit the glen rd. This is pretty steep and if it's wet the tarmac is slippy

Once you enter the field and start the actual climb you will more than likely be walking unless you are at the front of the pack as it gets backed up and is very tight for passing others.

I'd say it's pretty much the half way at the top which would be fairly close to 7/8km in

Slideways wrote:
    I'd say it's pretty much the half way at the top which would be fairly close to 7/8km in

Ok that's not to bad. Definitely manageable. Would like to run up the hill and not walk so will try and stay near the front of the pack if possible :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Here's a post on the course from last year:

Times are for a runner aiming for 90 minutes but the proportions will be the same for any time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100682915&postcount=754

Course: There is 2km of offroad climbing in WR. First Km has a few steep sections. One in particular has a gradient of around 30%. So there is a fair bit of hiking. The second km is a lot more runnable with a horrible little climb (hiked) that leaves you with a 300m run to the summit cairn.
    Off-road climb will take you about 22-4 mins. off-road Descent will take you about 7-8.
    In the race profile you'll see that there is a road climb that leads to the offroad. and a road descent after the offroad.
    So for yourself the sections might pan out like this:
    Undulating road: 16-18 mins.
    Climb starts: 28-30 mins (tarmac 6, offroad 23)
    Descent starts 8-9 mins (offroad 7, tarmac 2)
    Road back to Strandhill: 30-35

That's just a rough guide to help with a training run.

The difference is the road. So in the WR unlike LL you will have 22 mins of tough undulating road running in the legs before starting the offroad climb. And also there is

Training run suggestion: I'm hoping to do a training run based on the hellfire steep climb this Thursday:

Marlay Park across to military road via mount venus road at a pace to make you tired (careful with traffic) . Up up and up to Hellfire club. Youll have to hike the steep path up but thats what is needed. Descent down and through Masseys (practice recovering while descending). Then a few intervals on the road. e.g 2-3 mins on, 1 min off (repeat). This last bit is almost like a triathlon brick. Teaching you to get back to road running with the mountain in your legs. Better to do this once before the day. Id be aiming to run in total about 75% of race time.

Overall youre training has given you a great platform for the race. But one run as above where its very steep and youre getting all the elements in will really help.

Race pacing:

First km is half flat followed by 500 metres of climbing.
    It is hugely important to not be tempted to burn up this climb.
    Aim to be fresh at the top. Very controlled first km. Nice fast section next where youll naturally start to pass runners (having paced the first hill correectly). Then a downhill back to sea level. My advice would be to slighly work the downhills and slightly hold back on the uphills. Just ride the undulations so to speak. The race is a test of strenght primarily. You'll need it for later. When you start the main climb start at an effort you can sustain.
    Once it goes off road youll have 5 mins of work before it gets narrow. Pass pass pass here. Otherwise youll get frustrated stuck begind slower runenrs. Recover if youre slowed and then you can push on when it opens up. Take recovery where ever you can. Its intense but youll be used to it. You know the craic, keep moving forward.
    First half of the descent is steep second half is on roacky path, not so steep.
    You'll do well there. Fast but controlled bearing in mind the 6-7k of road left after.
    Road back: It will get tough half way back. Again use thed escents to keep the effort even. When it gets tough, try and keep pushing. The sceneray changes with two km to go and it gets (relatively) easier before fatigue really sets in. Last km is the first in reverse. Steep descent, follwed by flat.
    Its a great finish with huge crowds.

Fire away with any questions arising from this.

Im hopefully planning to do the run i mentioned on Thursday evening. More than welcome to come along. Just PM.

Edit: Search Strava activities for Warriors run for about 90 minute finishes:
    Heres one
    Old results here
    Click a runner to see their splits (intermediate mats at off-road start and finish)

demfad wrote: »
    Here's a post on the course from last year:

Times are for a runner aiming for 90 minutes but the proportions will be the same for any time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100682915&postcount=754

Course: There is 2km of offroad climbing in WR. First Km has a few steep sections. One in particular has a gradient of around 30%. So there is a fair bit of hiking. The second km is a lot more runnable with a horrible little climb (hiked) that leaves you with a 300m run to the summit cairn.
    Off-road climb will take you about 22-4 mins. off-road Descent will take you about 7-8.
    In the race profile you'll see that there is a road climb that leads to the offroad. and a road descent after the offroad.
    So for yourself the sections might pan out like this:
    Undulating road: 16-18 mins.
    Climb starts: 28-30 mins (tarmac 6, offroad 23)
    Descent starts 8-9 mins (offroad 7, tarmac 2)
    Road back to Strandhill: 30-35

That's just a rough guide to help with a training run.

The difference is the road. So in the WR unlike LL you will have 22 mins of tough undulating road running in the legs before starting the offroad climb. And also there is

Training run suggestion: I'm hoping to do a training run based on the hellfire steep climb this Thursday:

Marlay Park across to military road via mount venus road at a pace to make you tired (careful with traffic) . Up up and up to Hellfire club. Youll have to hike the steep path up but thats what is needed. Descent down and through Masseys (practice recovering while descending). Then a few intervals on the road. e.g 2-3 mins on, 1 min off (repeat). This last bit is almost like a triathlon brick. Teaching you to get back to road running with the mountain in your legs. Better to do this once before the day. Id be aiming to run in total about 75% of race time.

Overall youre training has given you a great platform for the race. But one run as above where its very steep and youre getting all the elements in will really help.

Race pacing:

First km is half flat followed by 500 metres of climbing.
    It is hugely important to not be tempted to burn up this climb.
    Aim to be fresh at the top. Very controlled first km. Nice fast section next where youll naturally start to pass runners (having paced the first hill correectly). Then a downhill back to sea level. My advice would be to slighly work the downhills and slightly hold back on the uphills. Just ride the undulations so to speak. The race is a test of strenght primarily. You'll need it for later. When you start the main climb start at an effort you can sustain.
    Once it goes off road youll have 5 mins of work before it gets narrow. Pass pass pass here. Otherwise youll get frustrated stuck begind slower runenrs. Recover if youre slowed and then you can push on when it opens up. Take recovery where ever you can. Its intense but youll be used to it. You know the craic, keep moving forward.
    First half of the descent is steep second half is on roacky path, not so steep.
    You'll do well there. Fast but controlled bearing in mind the 6-7k of road left after.
    Road back: It will get tough half way back. Again use thed escents to keep the effort even. When it gets tough, try and keep pushing. The sceneray changes with two km to go and it gets (relatively) easier before fatigue really sets in. Last km is the first in reverse. Steep descent, follwed by flat.
    Its a great finish with huge crowds.

Fire away with any questions arising from this.

Im hopefully planning to do the run i mentioned on Thursday evening. More than welcome to come along. Just PM.

Edit: Search Strava activities for Warriors run for about 90 minute finishes:
    Heres one
    Old results here
    Click a runner to see their splits (intermediate mats at off-road start and finish)

That is a super helpful post! I probably won't start training for this until August as need to prioritise Tri training. I'll try and do a few runs up Knockfierna in Balingarry then That is also tarmac uphill for a while before reaching mountain.

Looking forward to this now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

That is a super helpful post! I probably won't start training for this until August as need to prioritise Tri training. I'll try and do a few runs up Knockfierna in Balingarry then That is also tarmac uphill for a while before reaching mountain.

Looking forward to this now :)

If you are doing hill work important to do a few reps on road (flat or undulating) AFTER the hill work. Coming from the downhill to get back up to road race speed is very difficult in this race. Practicing it at least once before will be worth it.

Has it sold out already?

Yes. It's sold out. There is a message board set up for people to advertise registrations they have to sell but I thought I would ask here too.

Still looking for one!

Can I just ask those who have run this before if they wore trail runners or road runners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

Road runners definitely.

Unfortunately I'm not going to make it this year to the run after all. Anyone looking for an entry pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Slideways

I wore trail hybrids the year I did it and they paid off on the hill. Reckon if I was able to do it this year I'd wear them again.
    Pearl Izumi for what it's worth.

Unfortunately I had a hernia op on Monday so am out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 peaspeas

Anybody want an entry to the warriors run?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

peaspeas wrote: »
    Anybody want an entry to the warriors run?

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Might be a few more spare tickets appearing now as the Mayo and Kerry replay fixed for same time as the race starts. I know of 2 lads who are thinking of selling to see the game. Tempted myself but too much training done now not to run!

I have a spare entry too if anyone looking for one

• Registered Users Posts: 13 heart_powerful

Warriors Run done......great value for money year on year. A unique event

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Did this one too. Great fun event, though quads are still a bit sore after the descent. Hammering down the mountain is the best bit, up was tough (for me anyway). Definitely one to do again with lots of hill training in the bag!

Advertisement