Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Soccer forum Hall of Fame

• 26-05-2015 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭

The passing of Bill O'Herlihy just made me think of this again. I put it up for discussion a couple of years ago but nothing came of it even though there were quite a few people interested.

I think it would be nice to have a Hall of fame selected by the people here. This is something that could last a long, long time and become more important as time goes by.

Basically I think the best way to do it is to have a number of candidates every year and something like three are selected for the HOF. If a candidate is not selected one year he is still eligible every other year as the only ineligible candidates are those who are already in or who don't qualify according to the rules we decide upon. If we can get this going I'd like nominate Gearóid Walsh(eirebhoy) and Bill O'Herlihy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What's the criteria here? Is it posters or celebrities or both?

Don't want to sound crude here but is it just for people who are no longer around or what? I'm a little confused by the OP to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Don't want to sound crude here but is it just for people who are no longer around or what? I'm a little confused by the OP to be honest.

The criteria would be whatever is decided by the forum. For example, you could break it down into categories and have two international inductees, one non-player and one Irish inductee per annum. For players I would suggest that they be retired at least 5 years before being eligible.

Maybe it could be called the Eirebhoy Hall of Fame instead of inducting him? I understand the reasoning and all but going down the road of putting posters in there could open a whole can of worms.

The Pro Wrestling forum has one of these every year if anyone wants to find a link to show how it might work.
    Great idea btw EE.

Edit: Just to clarify further, I'd imagine you would have a nomination thread and then the most popular nominees would be put forward for a vote to decide who gets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Everything is open for discussion. I'd like to see this go ahead with the blessing of the majority of the forum so everybody's viewpoint is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Paul McShane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Paul McShane

I agree ! If he can make a great living out of football anyone can make one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

yeah, cool idea alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

I would go along the lines of,

International : Pele
    U.K. : George Best
    Ireland: Johnny Giles
    Outstanding Contribution : Bill O'Herlihy

These are examples.

The 5 year rule should be a given for players. I think for the first year you should look at maybe 5 players for each category unless you want to end up with pages of Pele vs Maradona fights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd prefer posters for contribution to the forum than celebrities or football personalities tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd prefer posters for contribution to the forum than celebrities or football personalities tbh.

While I wouldn't be against that in principle, the turn over of posters here could make it a bit silly i.e. I nominate xyz he was a brilliant poster. Everyone else ??????????????:D

What would people think of three different categories.

1. Retired footballer(can be posthumous also)
    2. Posthumous
    3. Boards.ie poster(can be posthumous also)

Example:

1. Marc-Vivien Foe
    2. Brian Moore
    3. Gearóid Walsh(eirebhoy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Brian Kerr /thread

adaminho wrote: »
    While I wouldn't be against that in principle, the turn over of posters here could make it a bit silly i.e. I nominate xyz he was a brilliant poster. Everyone else ??????????????:D

There is turnover, but there are also a number of posters here for 10+ years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

eagle eye wrote: »
    What would people think of three different categories.

1. Retired footballer(can be posthumous also)
    2. Posthumous
    3. Boards.ie poster(can be posthumous also)

Example:

1. Marc-Vivien Foe
    2. Brian Moore
    3. Gearóid Walsh(eirebhoy)

I'd have to question someone like Foe being nominated. Why him? Sure it was horrible for him to die on the pitch, but there are hundreds of better footballers who are either retired or have passed away. It seems like his nomination is more for his noteworthy passing than any great impact he had on the game.

I'd also add that the retired/posthumous footballer nominations won't be an interesting debate for a good 5-10 years, as there's no real debate over the likes of Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Best, Di Stefano etc. Nobody really wants to nominate sure things either, the only real joy of it will come when 30 plus sure things have been already inducted and some of the nominations start to become a bit more divided/controversial.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

While I'd see no problem with nominating eirebhoy or other deceased forum posters, allowing the nomination of forum posters is a sure-fire way to start unnecessary arguments. Inevitably the the usual Man United/Liverpool nonsense (to use the most obvious example, but there will be others) will start as some people try to get digs in about posters on the other side and the whole thing will be derailed in no time.

Agree with Zaph there, there's plenty of people past and present that I think are very good posters but I know they grate on others and that will inevitably be brought up in the thread.

This forum is unfortunately incapable of having such a thread.

Zaph wrote: »
    While I'd see no problem with nominating eirebhoy or other deceased forum posters, allowing the nomination of forum posters is a sure-fire way to start unnecessary arguments. Inevitably the the usual Man United/Liverpool nonsense (to use the most obvious example, but there will be others) will start as some people try to get digs in about posters on the other side and the whole thing will be derailed in no time.

It could work.

If anyone starts the United Liverpool etc willy waving slap a forum ban on them.

Despite "rivalries" most on here are capable of discussion with other fans.

Yeah, I disagree with those saying we aren't capable. Surely we can have a reasonable discussion about obviously great posters irrespective of club affiliation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Wait, is this about posters, or players?

Players would be carnage imo, posters probably not so much, but there are certainly lads who are considered to be "decent posters" in one superthread, but dickheads in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Can I nominate Bert Kassies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This will turn in to one big circle jerk.

• Advertisement

I'd have to question someone like Foe being nominated. Why him? Sure it was horrible for him to die on the pitch, but there are hundreds of better footballers who are either retired or have passed away. It seems like his nomination is more for his noteworthy passing than any great impact he had on the game.

I'd also add that the retired/posthumous footballer nominations won't be an interesting debate for a good 5-10 years, as there's no real debate over the likes of Maradona, Pele, Cruyff, Best, Di Stefano etc. Nobody really wants to nominate sure things either, the only real joy of it will come when 30 plus sure things have been already inducted and some of the nominations start to become a bit more divided/controversial.

They were just examples of deceased people who would qualify under different categories.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This will turn in to one big circle jerk.

that's kind of the point

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Regarding a posters hall of fame, there was an attempt to get the forum awards going again not too long ago that kinda petered out. Can't really see how this would go much better.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Regarding a posters hall of fame, there was an attempt to get the forum awards going again not too long ago that kinda petered out. Can't really see how this would go much better.

Yeah, 10 or 11 posts in the nominations thread. People just aren't bothered anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Perhaps just call it a circle jerk, rather than hall of fame, might attraction a bit more interest

Curiosity at the very least

a 64 person open draw, mano-a-mano, to find the best poster on the forum. Write ups like in the draft threads, then users voting on who their favourite is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

a 64 person open draw, mano-a-mano, to find the best poster on the forum. Write ups like in the draft threads, then users voting on who their favourite is.

In theory a great idea, but someone like in my case, obviously extremely knowledgeable and I've just won the this years boards prediction league, but because I don't support a one of the big two and I'm not part of any cliques I don't stand a chance of winning. When in reality the stats would have have me as one of the favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In theory a great idea, but someone like in my case, obviously extremely knowledgeable and I've just won the this years boards prediction league, but because I don't support a one of the big two and I'm not part of any cliques I don't stand a chance of winning. When in reality the stats would have have me as one of the favourites.

You can be in my click Oranage2 !

You, me and Oranage1.... We will defeat them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The boards awards thing a while back died a death.

I don't think there's the required quality of posters and general camaraderie that there once was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

"I've PM'd [PosterName]".
    8 days later....
    "Sorry lads was on a stag in Liga lol. I've PM'd the next poster."
    2 mins later...
    "Done."
    4 days later...
    "Who's up next?"
    "Ooops forgot to PM [PosterName]"
    5 days later...
    "We still doing this or what?"

Oranage2 wrote: »

are you selling tickets?

The only way I could see it working is using the thanks system to gauge the most popular choices and rules put in place where you would not be allowed to argue against any suggested posters put forward and no banned users can be suggested. If you don't agree with the choice just don't thank the post and keep a lid on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

are you selling tickets?

I thought it would be a free event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Agree with Zaph there, there's plenty of people past and present that I think are very good posters but I know I grate on others and that will inevitably be brought up in the thread.

I am incapable of having such a thread.
    FYP :p

MD1990 wrote: »
    FYP :p

Well done. You have just proved my point.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A noble idea in principle, probably not workable or at least with any longevity, in practice.

We already have awards for best poster so I don't think that is necessary.

I suggested a pretty popular member of this forum who had his life taken long before his time as somebody who might be put in a hall of fame.

I wouldn't be in favour of it being opened up to posters on the forum. As has been said by others, there will be a lot of circle jerking going on if you do that.

I wouldn't be against somebody heavily involved in coaching kids or with the boards soccer team being considered.

I put up the idea because I'd like to see us have a hall of fame for people involved in football from footballers and coaches to tv hosts and commentators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Well done. You have just proved my point.
    Its a joke, relax:cool:

Advertisement