Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duane Delaney Track Meeting - postponed until Sat 13 June

• 26-05-2015 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

The Duane Delaney Track meeting is on in Sundrive next week. Online entry available here. http://www.trackcycling.ie/?page_id=838

We have been promoting this race for a good few years now and good weather is always guaranteed.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's a great day. Can't wait (to get my flying 200 wrong again :P):D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was gonna start a thread earlier as I'd seen it and signed up. They then realised there were problem with the sign-up form - possibly the fact they gave you the options of "female", "male" or "other" - was tempted to go for the 3rd option given I've been racing with the male and female "C"s so far the season:pac:

The sign-up form is now open again, so I'll put another entry in - hopefully they will have enough by the close of applications next Weds to run a separate "Beasty" category....

Now need to work out my best times for the flying 200 and 500TT.

Anyway, hopefully it will be a great day without weather interruption - and well done to what is one of the smaller clubs in the country, Finglas Ravens for promoting this (even if they do rely heavily on support from Sundrive to run the event;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Might do this seeing as track league is off the cards for me for the forseeable future :(

colm_gti wrote: »
    Might do this seeing as track league is off the cards for me for the forseeable future :(

Oh no sorry to hear that :( Is there nothing you can do? Boo. On the upside, you might finally get that win in the Duane Delaney :D

(met one of you club mates racing this evening. Lovely lady. Jess?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just a heads up for those considering this, due to numbers and time limitations, the 500TT, as the last race, is usually only for the top eight in each category.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just a heads up for those considering this, due to numbers and time limitations the 500TT, as the last race, is usually only for the top five in each category.
    It says on the website the top 8, which is certainly what happened over the last 2 years (and it was a different format previously)

Will bring the TT bars regardless ....

Beasty wrote: »
    It says on the website the top 8, which is certainly what happened over the last 2 years (and it was a different format previously)

I just corrected my post. Apologies.

Current 500 champion did it in regular bars, and second, third had pursuit bars I think.

gadetra wrote: »
    Current 500 champion did it in regular bars, and second, third had pursuit bars I think.

That means nothing though. No point comparing equipment use. Their gearing would also matter and fitness levels that early in the season.

500 is an interesting one as to whether the bars make much difference. It's the standard TT distance for women, and you will see a mix at the elite level - some use the drops and some use the aero bars. Over 750 and 1,000m it's almost always the case that the TT bars will be better.

I'll be bringing the new(;)) bars to try out mainly because it's one of the few chances I will get to practice my standing start for the pursuit (the new bike will also be in attendance, but will be making its debut tonight!). Having said that I couldn't properly control a start (from virtually standing) on the drops the other week because of the weakness in my right arm (which is another reason for giving the TT bars a go)

Just need to make sure I don't end up getting promoted to the B's tonight.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

what if you don't have a best 200 or 500 time? It's on Saturday the 6th isn't it?

lennymc wrote: »
    what if you don't have a best 200 or 500 time? It's on Saturday the 6th isn't it?

If you don't have one you'll probably be seeded by best estimate. I can't remember the process. Did you put yourself in the Bs or Cs? In all honesty, it won't really matter too much. There is no match sprint following and peeople get moved between groups during the course of the day.

If you don't have one you'll probably be seeded by best estimate. I can't remember the process. Did you put yourself in the Bs or Cs? In all honesty, it won't really matter too much. There is no match sprint following and peeople get moved between groups during the course of the day.

havent entered yet - I would guess I would enter the B's (once I get flight clearance), but wasnt sure what times to put in.
    What format does the day take?

edit - It's the 6th June isnt it?

Yes, 6th. All details here: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?p=1801

Don't forget the Derny Paced Hour Record in the middle of it all

havent entered yet - I would guess I would enter the B's (once I get flight clearance), but wasnt sure what times to put in.
    What format does the day take?

edit - It's the 6th June isnt it?
    B's are the right place for you lenny (and should probably be the place for me once back to something approaching full fitness - was there a couple of years ago, when I was probably one of the faster members of that group - well except for a certain 14 year old who I ended up sharing a place in scratch with for the handicap races!!)

However they do prefer to start those new to racing off in the C's. We have had some really strong riders in the C's so far this year who could definitely hold their own in the B's and one or two will be advancing to the A's before too long. Some of them will get a chance tonight as at least 4 guys were promoted to the B's due to their performances last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I was told to move from the Cs to the Bs about two weeks ago for the league. I don't really know about my times but where should I fall for this meeting?

As per the instructions on the link I put up, put yourself into the category you are in for the league.

Here's a bit of background recently added to the www.trackcycling.ie website
    “Duane joined Finglas Ravens in the late 80s. He was a very honest rider and loved bike racing. Every race he rode he gave it his best. Never got annoyed, always had a smile and a joke after the race no matter how hard it was. The damp weather in Ireland used to affect his breathing so he decided to head off to Australia where his father Tony was from. He joined Carnegie Caulfield Cycling Club and made great progress on the track in particular. Duane had just turned 30 (1997) and was cycling home from a race with his team mates when he crashed and fell out onto the road and was run over by a juggernaut. He was in intensive care for eight days and never regained consciousness. He was a big loss to the club and of course his family. There was a mass service for him in Australia and he was brought home. He is buried out in Dardistown along with his mother who passed away in 2013. This race run in his honour, reflects his sense of fair play and encouragement to all and is unique in that overall honours goes to the rider who excels within his class irrespective of category.”
    Bernie McCormack (Finglas Ravens)
    Just a reminder - entries must be made via the website and will close at midnight Wednesday

so I'm not gonna be able to make this. My track year isnt going to plan!! :(

so I'm not gonna be able to make this. My track year isnt going to plan!! :(
    Well start planning for next year then ....
    €15?
    Entry fee is €10 (at least that's what it says on the website) - payable on the day

The entry field for the A's is starting to look very strong

• Advertisement

Entry fee is €10 (at least that's what it says on the website) - payable on the day

Where did ya see the entry list?

Where did ya see the entry list?
    Scroll to the bottom of this page on the website

My comment was in wrong thread. Sorry,

Scroll to the bottom of this page on the website

I've decided I'm washing my hair that day

Bah, like we were saying, it's a sprinter's event, but we'll have some fun.

Ha ha ha ha I feel your pain! But fcuk it it's track time. And track time is happy time* :D Also there's a scratch race. The sprinter's'll be mad tired after their several seconds of effort :P

*I turn the sprint events into endurance events :pac:

Weather's looking distinctly ropey for tomorrow. 40+ kph winds with gusts approaching 60 and showers likely late morning and through the afternoon.

Anyone know what happens if not completed tomorrow? Do they run into Sunday (when I'll be heading off to Scotland), reconvene at a later date or call a halt wherever they are up to and award on points already gained? (Or indeed just cancel the whole thing?)

Weather's looking distinctly ropey for tomorrow. 40+ kph winds with gusts approaching 60 and showers likely late morning and through the afternoon.

Anyone know what happens if not completed tomorrow? Do they run into Sunday (when I'll be heading off to Scotland), reconvene at a later date or call a halt wherever they are up to and award on points already gained? (Or indeed just cancel the whole thing?)

It's not a national event so I think it just gets cancelled.

It's not a national event so I think it just gets cancelled.

Off due to high and particularly gusty winds. They are looking to try again next weekend.

• Advertisement

Entries have reopened for anyone who could not make it today but wants to race next Saturday

Anyone who signed up originally and cNt attend next week should also inform the organisers of this.

on one hand :( but on the other hand :)

here's a picture of when I realised I could now enter:

homer-computer-woohoo.jpg

Anyway, yeah, entered. Went for the B's, dont mind if I am moved.

I havent changed my gearing - 48 14 or something on it. Must check!

I havent changed my gearing - 48 14 or something on it. Must check!
    Pretty close to what I was planning to use last Sat - 52:15 for the first 3 events but would have gone lower if I'd made it into the 500

so apart from myself and my bike, what do I need to bring on Saturday. What format does the day take?

• Advertisement

so apart from myself and my bike, what do I need to bring on Saturday. What format does the day take?

Food, something to sit on. I think It's the 200 to start, so they're set off in order of slowness then the kilo, then scratch. The top 8 do a 500. It's the same as a league night, so keep warm/bring Sunscreen (hopefully!). Some people bring rollers or turbos to keep the legs spinning. I don't know if the hour record is happening again but there'll be tea and sandwiches on track as well I think.

Thanks Gadetra. I better get packing!

This will be the first outing of my new club skinsuit......

Can't wait :P

Can't wait :P

you havent seen me in it yet!

tumblr_inline_mtmayxAUkk1rwnjjz.jpg

Kilo is a dash btw, not a TT

• Advertisement

Bring rain gear too. Looks like we might have some showers

what's the difference between a dash and a tt?
    what time do i need to be there for?
    Do I need to bring numbers or anything?

what's the difference between a dash and a tt?
    what time do i need to be there for?
    Do I need to bring numbers or anything?

A dash is a group, 4 to 10 riders, a TT is a solo timed effort, from a standing start unless it says flying in front of it in which case you get two wind up laps.

I will be aiming to be there for 9, and jealous if those with tents if its showery.

You get your numbers at sign on :D

A dash is a point to point race where by all the riders usually 8 roll around so as to cross the 1k line at the same time and then it's a two lap race from there.

All details re times are here: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?p=1801

They have put a maximum of 10 for the kilo dash. If everyone turns up we are likely to have pretty full fields for As Bs and Cs across 2 races in each group with perhaps 7 or so in each of 2 ladies races (which would get everyone into the points as it goes 8-1 in each rsce)

They have put a maximum of 10 for the kilo dash. If everyone turns up we are likely to have pretty full fields for As Bs and Cs across 2 races in each group with perhaps 7 or so in each of 2 ladies races (which would get everyone into the points as it goes 8-1 in each rsce)

I don't know what any of that means! Lol

Doesn't mean anything. There will be 8 in the kilo race, there'll be a couple of kilo races in the A's, B's and C's, one for the ladies depending on numbers. If there are 8 ladies or less there will be points for all of us :D There are more than 8 ladies though I think.

Doesn't mean anything.

So just another regular beasty post then.

So just another regular beasty post then.

You said that! :P

Per the website

"Kilo dash (max 10 per heat)"

So using my group as an example - 20 signed up = 2 heats × 10 with the first 8 in each heat getting points (there is no final)

Now turn to the ladies. 15 signed up (originally 16 but one person signed up twice ;)) - one heat of 7 and one of 8 with everyone getting at least one point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement