Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting First Time House

Options
  • 26-05-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I am renting my own house out for the first time.
    All helpful suggestions appreciated. :)
    It's in Athenry, Co. Galway.
    3 bed semi detached.
    Should I let as a holiday home or to individuals?
    Do I need to register with the PRTB?
    Will they destroy the property?
    How much should I charge?
    Insurance needed?
    Should I go with daft.ie?
    Anyone on here want to rent a room? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am renting my own house out for the first time.
    All helpful suggestions appreciated. :)
    It's in Athenry, Co. Galway.
    3 bed semi detached.
    Should I let as a holiday home or to individuals?
    Do I need to register with the PRTB?
    Will they destroy the property?
    How much should I charge?
    Insurance needed?
    Should I go with daft.ie?
    Anyone on here want to rent a room? :D

Holiday or rental - only you can decide. Is there a holiday market?
    PRTB - yes it's a legal requirement on your behalf to register the tenancy.
    Property Destruction - without a crystal ball, can't answer. Be carful picking tennants and vet them and check references.
    Insurance needed - yes, You need landlord insurance. All the insurance companies offer it but it's slightly different to standard house insurance so you must specify it when getting a quote.
    Daft.ie - it's really the main place people look. Why advertise anywhere else tbh.
    Rent a room - that's different. You have less obligations when you remain in the house and only rent a room out. Plus you have less tax implications also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Make sure you've run through the implications with an accountant - they save more than they cost. At least do the first couple of years with one.

Use an agent to rent the place initially, they'll cost about the same as a solicitor drawing up the lease if you shop around. They'll also take better photos and potentially have access to a couple of different sites.

Make sure you approach this as a business and know the minimum standards and adhere to them. Carry out repairs in a timely manner, try and keep things in writing. Do regular but not intrusive inspections.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Advertisement