Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goodbye Aer Lingus

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Agreed. However anything that knocks another % point or two from Labour will suit me.

You are hoping for a Labour swing to FG?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Just seen Willie Walsh on RTE - he's like O'Leary without the charm :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Graham wrote: »
    Until the Unions lost some of there power, then it was viable.

the unions lost none of their power. they were given much of what they wanted, so didn't need to fight as hard. they could still make the market pay if the market tries to drive down their members conditions. a couple of loonies back in the 80s brutalizing a couple of easy targets isn't the unions losing power. it was the government and industries lying that caused the problems of the 70s. the market wasn't viable and it was advances in technology that made it viable.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

the market wasn't viable and it was advances in technology that made it viable.

Nope, it was competition that made things viable. The relatively recent implosion of the Unions is more a sign that they are much less needed and much less wanted (if at all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'd argue in favour of deregulation tbh leading to greater competition. What made a lot of difference to Ryanair was the ability to have bases in different countries.

the unions lost none of their power. they were given much of what they wanted, so didn't need to fight as hard. they could still make the market pay if the market tries to drive down their members conditions. a couple of loonies back in the 80s brutalizing a couple of easy targets isn't the unions losing power. it was the government and industries lying that caused the problems of the 70s. the market wasn't viable and it was advances in technology that made it viable.

It really wasn't.

Nope, it was competition that made things viable. The relatively recent implosion of the Unions is more a sign that they are much less needed and much less wanted (if at all).
    no, it was advances in technology that made it all cheeper for competition viable. the unions haven't imploaded at all, only some gullible people choosing not to join. they are very much needed and wanted and are necessary

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Calina wrote: »
    It really wasn't.

i know it wasn't viable at the time.

no, it was advances in technology that made it all cheeper for competition viable. the unions haven't imploaded at all, only some gullible people choosing not to join. they are very much needed and wanted and are necessary

Do you actually work there EOTR?

Because it was not advances in technology. It was the removal of regulatory barriers which had an impact on the aviation sector. Not technology changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

You are hoping for a Labour swing to FG?? :confused:

No difference at the moment between FG and Labour.

The democratic process has completed and our representatives have agreed to sell our 25% in Aer Lingus.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0528/704294-aer-lingus/

Bye bye.

The democratic process has completed and our representatives have agreed to sell our 25% in Aer Lingus.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0528/704294-aer-lingus/

Bye bye.
    what "democratic process" would that be? it was simply sold, nothing more. nothing "democratic" about it. not in my name

what "democratic process" would that be?

You remember, that process whereby the people elect a government. It wasn't that long ago

That was followed up by another democratic process whereby our elected representatives got the opportunity to vote again on this specific issue on our behalf.
    not in my name

You said, I'm sure they'll remember to leave your name off the contracts of sale.

You remember, that process whereby the people elect a government. It wasn't that long ago

That was followed up by another democratic process whereby our elected representatives got the opportunity to vote again on this specific issue on our behalf.

no, not on my behalf i'm afraid.

That's the joy of a democracy, you don't always get your own way.

• Advertisement

Whether you like it or not the elected government of the country you live in and are presumably a citizen of act on behalf of all citizens regardless of whether some of those citizens voted for them or support / agree with what they are doing.

If you don't like that you have two choices:-

1. Become politically active, put your alternative political structure and policies in front of your fellow citizens and see if enough people share your view to elect you.

2. Bugger off to a country where your views on politics and economics are successfully implemented - North Korea springs to mind ;)

Whether you like it or not the elected government of the country you live in and are presumably a citizen of act on behalf of all citizens regardless of whether some of those citizens voted for them or support / agree with what they are doing.

If you don't like that you have two choices:-

1. Become politically active, put your alternative political structure and policies in front of your fellow citizens and see if enough people share your view to elect you.

2. Bugger off to a country where your views on politics and economics are successfully implemented - North Korea springs to mind
    they didn't act on my behalf. not in my name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Ah the old EOTR trick, come up with a phrase and keep repeating it ad nausem until the next one comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

You are not even talking about Air Lingus and IAG anymore.:rolleyes:

Well they took your share of our share of Aer Lingus and sold it.

Your posts remind me of a 4 year old who thinks if they cover their eyes no one can see them :p

• Advertisement

Roanmore wrote: »
    Ah the old EOTR trick, come up with a phrase and keep repeating it ad nausem until the next one comes along.

As old as it gets, it's a lot better than 'what about the Cork slots' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

One good reason why Aer Lingus should not be sold to IAG!!!

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/aer-lingus-now-offering-tayto-5872569

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

mikeym wrote: »

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/aer-lingus-now-offering-tayto-5872569

Trying to make it posh too being all deconstructed and all that...

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/aer-lingus-now-offering-tayto-5872569[/quote

Quite the opposite. Selling Aer Lingus to IAG will spread the Tayto sandwich worldwide. Can you think of a better way to promote Irish food?

Quite the opposite. Selling Aer Lingus to IAG will spread the Tayto sandwich worldwide. Can you think of a better way to promote Irish food?

As far as the crisp sandwich is concerned, I don't really think promoting it is required. A Tayto crisp is perfect in every way. Putting it on bread just wrecks it.

Advertisement