Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video compression

Options
  • 26-05-2015 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi guy l have some very old movies (and two hands on children) on dvd and a lot of new dvds and i would like to convert them in to avi and mount them on to an external hard drive, or even transfer them to my new Samsung s5. i have managed to get them to mp4 and avi but the sizes range from 500 mbs to 350. I know there is a way to compress them even more and triple the space on my hdd but not sure how. Can any one help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

You should take a look at this compression tool: http://www.piedpiper.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Polar Ice wrote: »
    You should take a look at this compression tool: http://www.piedpiper.com/

you just brought piss to a shít fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I dont understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

tonyheaney wrote: »
    I dont understand?

It's a reference to the tv show silicon valley which is about a group of guys who create a compression app called pied piper.

ahh i see, but i don't think it helps towards my query

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can compress the videos all you like but they may end up unwatchable. Handbrake is a good tool to convert videos for a range of devices with sensible presets. Forget about the avi container, modern codecs like H.264 are usually found in MP4.

5uspect wrote: »
    You can compress the videos all you like but they may end up unwatchable. Handbrake is a good tool to convert videos for a range of devices with sensible presets. Forget about the avi container, modern codecs like H.264 are usually found in MP4.

sadly the dvd player i bought a few years ago wont play mp4

It's very hard to help when you don't tell us these things. If you're ripping the DVDs to file just get a media player like a Raspberry Pi that'll play anything. Otherwise just copy them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

It's very hard to help when you don't tell us these things. If you're ripping the DVDs to file just get a media player like a Raspberry Pi that'll play anything. Otherwise just copy them.

H.265 is coming and very quick google says PI not able for that? Or is it?

This is irrelevant to the OP as they seem to want to use avi rather than bleeding edge codecs. Anyway for a few DVDs storage is cheap so meh.

• Advertisement

This is irrelevant to the OP as they seem to want to use avi rather than bleeding edge codecs. Anyway for a few DVDs storage is cheap so meh.

basicly guys i have a DVD player in the kitchen for my wife who watches her friends as an example. Thats All 236 episodes on 40 discs and space is kinda limited. So got the entire series on mp 4 but the damned DVD player only knows AVI. id like to turn therm in to small avi files. I know some one once put up small files 50mbs that were originally 350/500 mb i wont mention the site but im looking for his software.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

tonyheaney wrote: »
    basicly guys i have a DVD player in the kitchen for my wife who watches her friends as an example. Thats All 236 episodes on 40 discs and space is kinda limited. So got the entire series on mp 4 but the damned DVD player only knows AVI. id like to turn therm in to small avi files. I know some one once put up small files 50mbs that were originally 350/500 mb i wont mention the site but im looking for his software.

It'd probably be less hassle to just buy a (cheap) DVD player that supports AVI.

Advertisement