Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

junior cert

Options
  • 26-05-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi in sitting the junior cert tomorrow week and I am very stressed out,in my pre I got 1a 2b 5cs and 2 ds,with very little work,since then I have done 2 hours every weekday besides Friday and about 3 or 4 on Saturday and Sunday,I am hoping to get 1a 6bs and 3cs in the real thing as in the pre I was border line for many subjects
    In maths I was 1% off a c.Science I was 3% off a c.French 4% off a b.History 6% off a b.
    Do you think I can get 1a,6bs,3cs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

In my christmas exams, I got 10 higher level Bs. In my jc I got 10 higher level As, with 2 hours work every day for a month leading up to the exams. Anything is possible😄😄😄. For science concentrate on physics - most people make a balls of it so your paper will look gr8 in comparison. Dont forget thet the average mark of all jc candidates in coursework B is 80%, and you are guaranteed to get full marks in coursework A if you wrote up all sixty!!

For maths, NEVER leave a theorem blank. Wou get alot of marks just for the diagram alone. Attempt every question no matter how stupid the attempt may seem. Dont f*ck up the statistics question - easy topic easy marks. For paper 1 expect a functions question on exponential functions at it is being examined for the first time this year.

For history, learn off a few people in histories. My predictions -Archeologist, Monk in medieval times, Artist, Explorer, reformer, revolutionary leader and international relations options. Concentrate on international relations as it will come up in q6 (hopefully).

For French - listening listening listening. 44% of the exam. When your bored of studying or have nothing to do, put on your french cd. I used my dads old walkman😉. If you really want to do well, practice off the leaving cert ones.

You can definitely do well. 4 hours a day now till English paper 1 - almost 30 hours. Good luck!!!!!!!❗️👍👍👍👍👍👍👌👌👌👌👌

• Registered Users Posts: 24 boy1234

Mldj wrote: »
    In my christmas exams, I got 10 higher level Bs. In my jc I got 10 higher level As, with 2 hours work every day for a month leading up to the exams. Anything is possible😄😄😄. For science concentrate on physics - most people make a balls of it so your paper will look gr8 in comparison. Dont forget thet the average mark of all jc candidates in coursework B is 80%, and you are guaranteed to get full marks in coursework A if you wrote up all sixty!!

For maths, NEVER leave a theorem blank. Wou get alot of marks just for the diagram alone. Attempt every question no matter how stupid the attempt may seem. Dont f*ck up the statistics question - easy topic easy marks. For paper 1 expect a functions question on exponential functions at it is being examined for the first time this year.

For history, learn off a few people in histories. My predictions -Archeologist, Monk in medieval times, Artist, Explorer, reformer, revolutionary leader and international relations options. Concentrate on international relations as it will come up in q6 (hopefully).

For French - listening listening listening. 44% of the exam. When your bored of studying or have nothing to do, put on your french cd. I used my dads old walkman😉. If you really want to do well, practice off the leaving cert ones.

You can definitely do well. 4 hours a day now till English paper 1 - almost 30 hours. Good luck!!!!!!!❗️ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘👌👌👌👌👌

Thank you very much!!! Any tips on Irish or English?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Confused2015

good luck

English was my weakest subject. I honestly think I bearly scraped that A. For the reading section as long as you give qoutes you should be grand. Give a point quote explain for each five marks on offer. Aim to write about 7-10 lines for each five marks on offer in this section, but if you cant write that much dont sweat it. It really is quality not quantity. For personal writing, I always did the speech option, but write whatever you are comfortable with. I would advise you to do a very quick five-minute plan before you start. I would write between 600-800 words.
    Functional and media studies should be all right. For media studies its all vocab, most of which is online. If you have the edco exam papers, it has soma at the front. Check your English book too. I found paper 2 easier. The first thing I did when I went into the exam was the studied stuff. The qoutes are freshest in your mind. For poetry, instead of doing say 10 poms, I did 5 which would cover me for the exam. Have two poems done by one poet, and two poems which deal with the same theme. For the unseen stuff, same rules as reading section apply. 10 marks 2 reasons 2 quotes. 15 marks 3 reasons 3 quotes. English can be a bit of a b*tch though, so its good to get it over and done with on the first day.

Will do irish tomorrow. Going to bed now.😃😃😃😝😝😝😄😄😄😄

PS Sorry if the emojis dont come out properly!

• Advertisement

IRISH P1: for the listening, dont leave any blanks. Answer in Irish and make sure that you spelling is correct, as they can mark it wrong if it isnt. For the reading section, try not to take directly from the text if you can help it, but they have been more leniant about this in recent yours. For the grammar, the Modh Coinnniollach is meant to come up so know it well. For the ceapadoireacht, I did the diosoireacht, but attept whichever you are most confident in. Write between 350-400 words, but AT LEAST 300. Include a seanfhocal if appropriate - lots of marks.
    P2: learn off sample answers for each of the studied ones, and then alter it to suit the theme/emotion. If you cant do this, write the answer, and then put at the end "Ta XXXXXX le feiceail go soleir sa dan/ngearrsceal iontach seo." Try and put in quotes, even for the pros. It looks amazeballs. For the unseen stuff, learn off alot of characteristics, eg. Cneasta, neamhspleach, teasai, etc. for the poetry, if you cant think of anything to say for why you like the poem, use " taitin an fiotal sa dan seo go mor liom." or " Taim an togtha leis an teidil." Its VERY easy to bu!!sh*t your way through unseen poetry. For the letter, learn off a common opening and closing that you can use foe every one. Try to stay clear of the formal option unless you have practiced. Remember to include every point, and write approx 3 sentences for each.
    Go n-eiri an t-adh leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 boy1234

Mldj wrote: »
    IRISH P1: for the listening, dont leave any blanks. Answer in Irish and make sure that you spelling is correct, as they can mark it wrong if it isnt. For the reading section, try not to take directly from the text if you can help it, but they have been more leniant about this in recent yours. For the grammar, the Modh Coinnniollach is meant to come up so know it well. For the ceapadoireacht, I did the diosoireacht, but attept whichever you are most confident in. Write between 350-400 words, but AT LEAST 300. Include a seanfhocal if appropriate - lots of marks.
    P2: learn off sample answers for each of the studied ones, and then alter it to suit the theme/emotion. If you cant do this, write the answer, and then put at the end "Ta XXXXXX le feiceail go soleir sa dan/ngearrsceal iontach seo." Try and put in quotes, even for the pros. It looks amazeballs. For the unseen stuff, learn off alot of characteristics, eg. Cneasta, neamhspleach, teasai, etc. for the poetry, if you cant think of anything to say for why you like the poem, use " taitin an fiotal sa dan seo go mor liom." or " Taim an togtha leis an teidil." Its VERY easy to bu!!sh*t your way through unseen poetry. For the letter, learn off a common opening and closing that you can use foe every one. Try to stay clear of the formal option unless you have practiced. Remember to include every point, and write approx 3 sentences for each.
    Go n-eiri an t-adh leat.

Thank you so much!If you've any other tips they would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Mldj wrote:
    IRISH P1: for the listening, dont leave any blanks. Answer in Irish and make sure that you spelling is correct, as they can mark it wrong if it isnt. For the reading section, try not to take directly from the text if you can help it, but they have been more leniant about this in recent yours. For the grammar, the Modh Coinnniollach is meant to come up so know it well. For the ceapadoireacht, I did the diosoireacht, but attept whichever you are most confident in. Write between 350-400 words, but AT LEAST 300. Include a seanfhocal if appropriate - lots of marks. P2: learn off sample answers for each of the studied ones, and then alter it to suit the theme/emotion. If you cant do this, write the answer, and then put at the end "Ta XXXXXX le feiceail go soleir sa dan/ngearrsceal iontach seo." Try and put in quotes, even for the pros. It looks amazeballs. For the unseen stuff, learn off alot of characteristics, eg. Cneasta, neamhspleach, teasai, etc. for the poetry, if you cant think of anything to say for why you like the poem, use " taitin an fiotal sa dan seo go mor liom." or " Taim an togtha leis an teidil." Its VERY easy to bu!!sh*t your way through unseen poetry. For the letter, learn off a common opening and closing that you can use foe every one. Try to stay clear of the formal option unless you have practiced. Remember to include every point, and write approx 3 sentences for each. Go n-eiri an t-adh leat.

Why is it that modh conniollach is supposed to come up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

haiyna wrote: »
    Why is it that modh conniollach is supposed to come up?

Every year, people guess things they think might come up. Only the person who assembled the paper knows for sure what is coming up and you can be sure they are not telling people or posting on boards about it.

I can do predictions too. You will see more than one red car tomorrow. Can I tell the future? No.

Don't worry about what might or might not come up, make sure when you are in your exam you are there in plenty of time, so not stressing, you take your time and make sure you answer the correct combinations of questions. Don't leave any questions out. Examiners cannot give marks for blank answers.

I see where everyone is coming from. I want to reiterate that predictions are never 100%accurate, however the Modh Coinnniollach is the only tense that has yet to be examined under section 3 of paper 1. That being said, the aimsir fhaistineach came up on this years mock papers. Its best to cover yourself for everything. Even if it doesnt come up, it looks very impressive in a letter compared to weaker candidates who rely on the past tense.
    These predictions should be taken with a pinch of salt, and you should not neglect to study the entire course, especially with languages like Irish. Chances are you will need to use every tense at least once in the exam.

This day week is Irish P1. Good luck everyone.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Arabella99

Can you be held back if you do not have/sit the Junior Cert?

No. I know people who have not sat the junior for family and medical issues, and they have gone into ty/fifth year no problem. As long as you have done the course in school you should be at no disadvantage in fifth year. It will not harm your future job prospects either, because once you have your leaving, employers wont look at your junior.
    At the same time though, it may depend on the reason. If your not siitting the junior as a result of refusing to turn up to school without valid reason, or not bothering to turn up, that might be a different story. Its best to ask the school, as the policy may differ.
    Personally, I do not think that schools are justified in holding anybody back if they are ready and mature enough to do their leaving cert.
    Hope this helps!

Advertisement