Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Present for wife

Options
  • 26-05-2015 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    1st time on this forum. Due 1st baby on 28th and looking for some ideas for a gift for the good lady herself. If this has been covered before a link to a thread is fine. Thanks in advance.

Makood

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Makood wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    1st time on this forum. Due 1st baby on 28th and looking for some ideas for a gift for the good lady herself. If this has been covered before a link to a thread is fine. Thanks in advance.

Makood

When I had my little boy my husband got me three Alex and Ani bracelets, one was the babies birth stone, one was my birth stone and the third was a disc that says mothers hold their children's hands for a short time but their hearts forever and it has a big and little hand placed over it, really thoughtful, I love them, and I don't think they are too pricey either, but they are priceless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Coopaloop wrote: »
    When I had my little boy my husband got me three Alex and Ani bracelets, one was the babies birth stone, one was my birth stone and the third was a disc that says mothers hold their children's hands for a short time but their hearts forever and it has a big and little hand placed over it, really thoughtful, I love them, and I don't think they are too pricey either, but they are priceless to me.

That's a great idea. I got her a charm bracelet last year-there would be great additions to it if they are available for it.

That's a great idea. I got her a charm bracelet last year-there would be great additions to it if they are available for it.

Yeah most of the charm bracelets would have all birth stones available, and baby style charms like a pram or a little angel, or a teddy in pink or blue, I know Pandora do anyway.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Yeah most of the charm bracelets would have all birth stones available, and baby style charms like a pram or a little angel, or a teddy in pink or blue, I know Pandora do anyway.

Birthstone for the charm bracelet and it is Pandora. I was thinking of a ring as well but no idea what type. My mother suggested eternity?

Birthstone for the charm bracelet and it is Pandora. I was thinking of a ring as well but no idea what type. My mother suggested eternity?

Yep an eternity ring would be the most popular choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Weekend away in a hotel with a spa.

Get her to pump and store, give her a respectable voucher for the spa, tell her it's non-refundable and has to be used up and take over as much baby minding as possible. Take charge, be confident (even if you're nervous) mind baby yourself, get her comfortable with you in charge of junior, bond well.

Congrats and look after her physically and mentally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I got a lovely (m)eternity ring :)

Thanks guys, now to find an eternity ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My husband got a ring made with my birthstone, his birthstone and our little girls birthstone on it. We will add a stone for our new arrival in July. I love it! It's quite an unusual looking ring and has such sentimental value. Traditional Eternity style rings don't tend to suit me, at least I don't think so anyway.

Love the idea of an adding to a charm bracelet. My mother in law gave me one with gorgeous birthstones and baby related charms when I had my daughter. She usually gives me other kinds of charms for Christmas and birthday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

My husband got me a tiffany bracelet for our wedding day with our wedding date inscribed on the heart, when our little girl was born he got a charm with her initial on one side and her date of birth inscribed on the other side. He had it waiting for me when I got home from hospital so didn't take long for the engraving to be done. He also got me a voucher for the hairdresser and another voucher for a pedicure. I loved them all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ah the old Push Pressie. Depends on the woman. I don't wear much jewellery, so that would have been wasted on me, left in a box for eternity. Your wife sounds like she likes it if she has charm bracelets already and wears them. Go with what she likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got something nice both times and didn't do one push! We chose them together, an eternity ring and a lovely handbag. I wear the ring every day and the bag fairly regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Didn't do presents at all but bought his first outfit together and a pair of I love mammy/I love daddy babygros

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Weekend away in a hotel with a spa.

Get her to pump and store, give her a respectable voucher for the spa, tell her it's non-refundable and has to be used up and take over as much baby minding as possible. Take charge, be confident (even if you're nervous) mind baby yourself, get her comfortable with you in charge of junior, bond well.

Congrats and look after her physically and mentally.

Please OP, don't do this. This is such bad advice. Buying your wife a weekend break in a hotel with spa treatments and telling her "to pump and store" is NOT a suitable present to buy a new mother. And I can imagine the reaction OP would get - post natal hormones and then this crazy suggestion of heading of for a weekend leaving her newborn would earn OP an angry earful from his wife.

I can imagine such a present would be infuriating to the new mother and shows that no thought whatsoever has gone into a gift. OP's wife has waited 9 months to meet her baby, why on earth would she want to head off for a weekend shortly after giving birth unless absolutely necessary? Perhaps some women need a break right away but I'd guess that most women would not want to be separated from their newborn baby for a full weekend.

All that plus if she's breastfeeding, she may not want to pump. Or she may get nothing from the pump. Or she may not get enough from the pump. Or it'll take her a long while to build up a supply for a full weekend so early on. And after all that, she'll still have to bring her pump with her and pump every few hours otherwise she will get engorged and her supply will drop! That is not what I would consider a relaxing break.

My husband got me a beautiful piece of jewellery after our baby was born with baby's name engraved on it. I love it. Get her something sentimental. Not a weekend break.

And the best things you can do is do things for your wife. Make sure she's eating enough, do the housework, put on a wash without her asking, etc etc. Her focus is looking after the baby, your focus should be looking after her.

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Please OP, don't do this. This is such bad advice. Buying your wife a weekend break in a hotel with spa treatments and telling her "to pump and store" is NOT a suitable present to buy a new mother. And I can imagine the reaction OP would get - post natal hormones and then this crazy suggestion of heading of for a weekend leaving her newborn would earn OP an angry earful from his wife.

I can imagine such a present would be infuriating to the new mother and shows that no thought whatsoever has gone into a gift. OP's wife has waited 9 months to meet her baby, why on earth would she want to head off for a weekend shortly after giving birth unless absolutely necessary? Perhaps some women need a break right away but I'd guess that most women would not want to be separated from their newborn baby for a full weekend.

All that plus if she's breastfeeding, she may not want to pump. Or she may get nothing from the pump. Or she may not get enough from the pump. Or it'll take her a long while to build up a supply for a full weekend so early on. And after all that, she'll still have to bring her pump with her and pump every few hours otherwise she will get engorged and her supply will drop! That is not what I would consider a relaxing break.

My husband got me a beautiful piece of jewellery after our baby was born with baby's name engraved on it. I love it. Get her something sentimental. Not a weekend break.

And the best things you can do is do things for your wife. Make sure she's eating enough, do the housework, put on a wash without her asking, etc etc. Her focus is looking after the baby, your focus should be looking after her.

This. I didn't breast feed but regardless the last thing I wanted to do was go away for a weekend. And I was a pretty relaxed mum! Going out for an evening was ok with me (though it's not for everyone) but overnights are still a rarity. The only two that have happened so far have been when I was totally and utterly exhausted and the OH took him to his grandparents and left me to sleep the night in our own house. I wouldn't have been fit for a hotel, all I did was sleep from 4-9 and again from 11-8 I was that tired!

Being involved is the most important thing. Remembering to help sterilise bottles, soothers; sort/wash/dry clothes (not just one of the steps!); emptying the bin in the nursery; sending her for a shower; make dinner

Anything that is difficult to do one handed. Like the bin in the nursery seems a crazy one but it was actually such a nice thing to be done for me so I wasn't trying to carry the baby doing it

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd have to agree on the spa thing if that poster meant an overnight stay. It's a lovely theory but I had zero interest in being parted even for a day from my newborn. I went to a wedding at three months and stayed overnight, only because I had breastfeeding well established, and dad was more than capable to be left with the baby. Even then, I'd say if the wedding hadnt been the other side of the country, I'd have been tempted to drive home after it.

Now, I did get a hairdressing voucher and that was lovely to scoot off locally for 90 mins and come back all sleek and swishy. So a short spa day - lots of them do half-days with a nice lunch or afternoon tea, might be acceptable, but only if it was pretty local so she felt she could dash home quickly if she needed to. (I know she'd likely never need to, but she might not go if its too far away from baby)

tinkerbell wrote: »

Calm down Tinkerbell and Neyite, I never mentioned leaving the baby. Read my post.

Take the baby with you and mind the baby as much as you can whilst wife enjoys some treatments. We were doing active weekends away when the kids were six weeks old.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Calm down Tinkerbell and Neyite, I never mentioned leaving the baby. Read my post.

Take the baby with you and mind the baby as much as you can whilst wife enjoys some treatments. We were doing active weekends away when the kids were six weeks old.
    I think you are confusing me with Mirrorwall, because I partially agreed with you. :confused:

Neyite wrote: »
    I think you are confusing me with Mirrorwall, because I partially agreed with you. :confused:

Mirrorwall, you calm down too!! You all need a family weekend away with a good spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

:rolleyes: I'm perfectly calm, thanks. And judging by the number of thanks I got for for my post a lot of mothers agreed with me. Not everybody wants to go for "active weekends" in a spa hotel with a 6 week old baby.

• Advertisement

Mirrorwall, you calm down too!! You all need a family weekend away with a good spa.

My point still stands albeit that I concede I misread you. I wasn't able for a spa weekend or being away in a hotel with a baby. All I wanted was my own bed or shower for a few hours when I needed a break. I didn't have the energy to pack up and move to a hotel no matter how nice the spa was

And a bit less with the calm down please.

You all need a family-free weekend away with a good spa and a bottle of wine or two.

Fyp

Guys thanks a lot for the replies, and sorry I have not been able to respond to all of them. Hectic last few days.

Advertisement