Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please

Options
  • 26-05-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

So I've just had an extension built on the back of my house. This is what my back garden looks like now. After the work on the house I have very little left over but with my wife after giving birth last week, I'd like to have a little space for her to sit out in the summer months.
    I started turning the soil this evening and will finish tomorrow. There are 2 tree stumps I wouldn't mind getting up if at all possible. Both trees were dead before I cut them down.
    In the left corner of the picture by the wall and small shed was an oil tank, I've been told that grass won't grow there, don't know how true It is.
    Basically I'm looking for suggestions on doing something on a shoe string budget and some direction on where to start as I really haven't a clue.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

weiland79 wrote: »
    So I've just had an extension built on the back of my house. This is what my back garden looks like now. After the work on the house I have very little left over but with my wife after giving birth last week, I'd like to have a little space for her to sit out in the summer months.
    I started turning the soil this evening and will finish tomorrow. There are 2 tree stumps I wouldn't mind getting up if at all possible. Both trees were dead before I cut them down.
    In the left corner of the picture by the wall and small shed was an oil tank, I've been told that grass won't grow there, don't know how true It is.
    Basically I'm looking for suggestions on doing something on a shoe string budget and some direction on where to start as I really haven't a clue.

Thanks in advance.

If you post up a few more details or perhaps a simple map it will make it easier to give suggestions.

You seem to have some paving but its hard to tell in relation to the orientation to the house.

Where does the sun rise/set in relation to the garden as pictured?

Really on a shoestring all you can do is dig over the soils, break into a fine tilth and possibly sow some grass.

A bed with shrubs may be possible but that depends on budget etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Ill post more pics up later. I took the photo from my back door. There is a path running from the door with the a similar amount of garden space on the other side of it.
    I only want to concentrate on the area shown in the picture as the other side of the garden is covered with a trampoline so I'm not worried about it at this point.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a little help with what i should be doing next. Have I started correctly by turning the soil? If I can get the tree stumps up i could probably stretch to putting a small patio down (again no idea where to start with this)

The garden is south facing so the sun starts in the left of the photo and keeps the garden in sunshine all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I'd Go with the idea of a lawn cheapest and if you have the time get it done now by July August the lawn will be ready for your little mite. ;-) Take Photos of your hardwork as by Age 2 Mud Holes will be a Permanent feature for the next 15 years min. !!!!

Sand Pits are a good distraction for 5 mins peace :-).

Remove water taps or Lock them !!!!

:eek: Water Drains covered to prevent objects "finding" a way into Pipe and Blocking Drains

The Fun you will have !! :-)

Just noticed you have a trampoline so not a complete beginner :-)
    lift the stumps for sure if u want a patio I'd go with Wooden Decking Way too much Concrete for my taste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Congrats on the baby first of all :)

You're doing fine so far if you just want a patio/sitting area. If you can get the tree stumps out that would be good but it may be tough enough job. Try to circle around the trunk with a spade/axe/pickaxe etc to break the roots. If that doesn't work you could just hack back the stumps to below soil level if you're just going to slab over it
    anyway.
    Rake the soil repeatedly until it gets very fine and crumbly - remove any stones that you can find. Then it's a case of marking out how big a sitting area you want, prepping it and laying slabs/gravel/grass seed etc. There are lots of great videos online to help out. A layer of membrane/plastic followed by pebbles/gravel is about as quick and cheap as you can get - you could edge it with whatever the budget allows. Putting down the plastic or membrane sheeting means you can lift the whole thing in the future if you want to put down slabs/bricks/goalposts/playhouse or whatever.
    It's a basic plan and if you discover more cash under the mattress you can upgrade any of the materials, add flowers in pots, tubs etc

Stones and Kids is Never a good Idea ... A least with my kids, excellent shots my kids they had lots of practice with each other, stones make excellent Missiles :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thanks for the replies, just in regards to putting down grass after I rake the soil what kind of prep work do i need to do before i plant the seeds? Also is it true that grass won't grow where the old oil tank used to be?

I'll post pics of my progress.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, just in regards to putting down grass after I rake the soil what kind of prep work do i need to do before i plant the seeds? Also is it true that grass won't grow where the old oil tank used to be?

I'll post pics of my progress.

Do you know the soil is contaminated with Heating oil was their Bare patches of soil No weeds/grass ?

I wouldn't have the kids playing on it

It might be necessary to remove all this soil.

Advertisement