Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body at silverstrand?

Options
  • 26-05-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

The guards have just cleared everyone from silverstrand beach. Apparently somethings happened up on the cliff. There's a lot of squad cars and the fire brigade are down there now.

A woman I was talking to reckoned they'd found a body up there, but they're not over at the cliff face. The guards seemed to be much further back, around some kind of stone thing. Anyone know what's going on there? We all had to leave in a hurry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Was out there earlier on as all the gardai were arriving. Was wondering what was going on. we left just as they were clearing everyone off the cliff. Just got this update from the tribune.

Gardai are investigating the discovery of the body of a male at Silverstrand tonight. It's understood he suffered a fatal gunshot wound. The scene has been sealed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Im locking this until something is confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Tis confirmed on a number of sources there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

Is there some kind of cave or hole up on the cliff? The guards all seemed to be gathered around something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was there earlier tonight too. Didn't climb up the cliff since they put the fence up and the signs warning about falling rocks. Didn't see anybody up there during the time I was there, though, As I was leaving three guys were climbing up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

I hope it wasn't a kid who found the body that would be the worst.

The Tribune was reporting that the body had a fatal gunshot wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The Tribune was reporting that the body had a fatal gunshot wound.

They're generally more discreet when reporting a suicide. Sounds like there's more to it.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Galway Bay Fm article this morning.
    GBFM wrote:
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – A post mortem examination will be carried out today on the body of a man discovered near Silverstrand beach last evening.

The man who was in his early 30s is from the Wexford area, and was discovered by a passer-by at around 6pm.

Gardaí say the death is not being treated as suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Poor guy. RIP.
    GalwayIndo wrote:
    @galwayindo
    Gardaí are treating the discovery of the body of a man, aged in his 30s, near Silverstrand yesterday evening as a personal tragedy. RIP.

Maybe time to close the thread now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Sociopath2 wrote: »
    They're generally more discreet when reporting a suicide. Sounds like there's more to it.

RIP

Seems like the advertiser and tribune are going down the route of the daily mail, especially with their Facebook pages, its time their editors pulled in the reigns a bit, sad to see local papers turn into rags! Race to the bottom!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

crusier wrote: »
    Seems like the advertiser and tribune are going down the route of the daily mail, especially with their Facebook pages, its time their editors pulled in the reigns a bit, sad to see local papers turn into rags! Race to the bottom!

Agree with you. But I'm sorry to say it is the Editors who post on their Facebook pages.

Agree with you. But I'm sorry to say it is the Editors who post on their Facebook pages.

Sweet Jesus!

I don't think the Advertiser said anything about the gunshot wound. It was only the Tribune. Somebody commented on the Advertisers Facebook page about a friend missing that they believe is in Galway and the Advertiser replied and told them to contact the Gardai. I don't think they did anything wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Newspapers. That's what they are. They give us news. People would complain if they didn't.
    My problem with the Facebook page is the amount of people who troll on that page in the comments.
    Don't turn on sky news during a big breaking news where they'll have a live news feed or you might lose the rag altogether

swiftman wrote: »
    Newspapers. That's what they are. They give us news. People would complain if they didn't.
    My problem with the Facebook page is the amount of people who troll on that page in the comments.
    Don't turn on sky news during a big breaking news where they'll have a live news feed or you might lose the rag altogether

Accurate news would be what I'm interested in, not a rush to get a story out first without knowing the facts or circumstances, I watch plenty of sky news but I expect better from local news papers. More often than not local people are involved. I agree with you on the trolls but it generally shows up twats for who they really are!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Accurate news would be what I'm interested in

I would also like to see them applying certain guidelines when reporting self-harm deaths, viz: http://www.samaritans.org/your-community/samaritans-work-ireland/media-guidelines-ireland

Sometimes the overall public interest is better served with a combination of accuracy and vagueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

swiftman wrote: »

Where the dumbest of the dumb like to comment on issues of great importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, we'll stop here.
    RIP to the person that died. Very sad for all involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement