Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vermiculite

Options
  • 26-05-2015 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Where can I buy vermiculite in south inner Dublin? Thought Homebase in Rathfarnham had it, but they'd never heard of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Where can I buy vermiculite in south inner Dublin? Thought Homebase in Rathfarnham had it, but they'd never heard of it.
    I usually get it in B&Q , usually i mix in perlite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Any decent hardware store should have it, mostly used to insulate chimneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks; I'll try Lenihan's in Rathmines (sadly about to close after 65 years).

I got vermiculite in the Oasis garden shop on Terenure Road North; an occasion of sin, as out the back of the shop they have a sea of wonderful plants - came away with an everlasting wallflower and a beautiful deep blue aquilegia with huge flowers…

It strikes me to wonder if vermiculite might be available, and be cheaper, and be the same quality, in builders' suppliers, as roofers use it when installing flues for stoves in chimneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I think Woodies stocks it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

For what purpose is vermiculite used in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Probably a bit far out for the OP but Windy Ridge in Deansgrange definitely does it.
    Peader - I use it when sowing seeds into pots that don't need much of a covering up - it keeps them moist, prevents fungus on the soil forming and prevents stray wind blown seeds germinating on the pot.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Vermiculite is useful when you're sowing seeds in compost, because it aerates the soil (making damping-off - mould - less likely, and yet helps the soil to hold enough moisture.

It's good for mixing into potting compost for the same reason - it acts in a similar way to sharp sand, and allows drainage while keeping the soil moist.

Vermiculite is a type of clay, I think, but it's similar to super-light stones like pumice. Here's a wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

Advertisement