Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Degree score?

Options
  • 26-05-2015 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering how is it calculated?
    I mean how is it calculated if I get first, second or third honours degree?
    Is it taking all modules from final year (7 in my case), adding up all their overalls, and then dividing by module number (7) to get average?

I don't get it.
    Following my logic I wrote above, I got 54%. What class is that?

Thank you.

P.S - Talking about bachelors degree.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I think you're on for a 2:2 from the score you said which seems to be the right way of working them out. Though modules could be weighted differently as it might depend on the course and the university.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Very Bored wrote: »
    I think you're on for a 2:2 from the score you said which seems to be the right way of working them out. Though modules could be weighted differently as it might depend on the course and the university.

So basically if postgraduate course states:

"The minimum admission requirements for entry to the programme are a B.Sc. (Honours 2.2 or better) in Computer Science"

That means I am within the requirement?

This is very complicated.

arleitiss wrote: »
    So basically if postgraduate course states:

"The minimum admission requirements for entry to the programme are a B.Sc. (Honours 2.2 or better) in Computer Science"

That means I am within the requirement?

This is very complicated.

I don't know 100%. To some extent I'm guessing and to some extent I'm trying to remember from when I did my degree nearly 15 years ago. I can't quite remember whether 50-60% was 2:2 or 55-65%. I hope its 50-60% as to miss out by 1% would be harsh. You would be better off talking to someone at your university, they'd be able to give you a better answer than anyone else. Good luck, I hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You need an average of 50-59% to earn a 2:2.. 60-69% for a 2:1 and any higher for a 1:1

This is the average of modules that count towards your final mark.

It's fairly simple really.

callaway92 wrote: »
    You need an average of 50-59% to earn a 2:2.. 60-69% for a 2:1 and any higher for a 1:1

This is the average of modules that count towards your final mark.

It's fairly simple really.

So, like I initially thought, a 2:2 and you're fine for that course you are planning on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement