Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FC United of Manchester

• 26-05-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Just read an article on The Guardian about them

(http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/26/fc-united-manchester-benfica-united-fans)

They've built a new stadium worth 6.3m and have a friendly match against Benfica coming up. Honestly, when I first heard about them I thought they'd be a nothing forever and that would be that, but building their own stadium, getting high profile friendlies and promotion after promotion is getting impressive. They're pretty stable and pushing forwards which is probably more than can be said for a lot of teams down in conference north or wherever...

Has anybody had any interaction with them or know anything about their fan numbers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

PI ALFA has loads of videos on yt from their games. They have really good support, and just from watching on youtube you can see there's a good atmosphere at their games.

They might be a 'protest club' but they've had good success the last while.

As a Liverpool fan, obviously it's tough for me to support them, but I have nothing but the height of respect for their fans. Hopefully they'll be in the football league soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just read an article on The Guardian about them

(http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/26/fc-united-manchester-benfica-united-fans)

They've built a new stadium worth 6.3m and have a friendly match against Benfica coming up. Honestly, when I first heard about them I thought they'd be a nothing forever and that would be that, but building their own stadium, getting high profile friendlies and promotion after promotion is getting impressive. They're pretty stable and pushing forwards which is probably more than can be said for a lot of teams down in conference north or wherever...

Has anybody had any interaction with them or know anything about their fan numbers?

Link fixed :)

Yeah fair play to them alright. I do wish the name was slightly better though - it always just makes me feel uncomfortable grammatically to think of "Football Club United of Manchester".

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I do wish the name was slightly better though - it always just makes me feel uncomfortable grammatically to think of "Football Club United of Manchester".

I imagine that's the closest they could get to 'Manchester United' without infringing on the patent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if they made it big and reached the upper levels, Championship or PL. Would it be all wrong again and another new club get started at the bottom again.:D

"Fans who have fled the expense, compulsory seating and increasingly passive nature of the Premier League experience, as much as investor-owners’ exploitation, made it clear that if they ever had a home, they wanted to stand and sing. So partly in wistful homage to their raucous formative years, the new ground has a terrace behind one goal and a standing area in front of the main stand seats, like the former Old Trafford paddocks. Wood cladding on the designed front of the stadium references railway sleepers and United’s Newton Heath train company origins."

The terraces would have to go anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Went to a game a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Football was below LOI 1st division level but atmosphere was unreal. Was at a Man United Vs Everton game the following day and match day experience wasn't close to matching FC United's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A "yellow pack" AFC Wimbledon.

Personally, I think the Conference North (or whatever it's called these days) is realistically the limit of their capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A "yellow pack" AFC Wimbledon.

Personally, I think the Conference North (or whatever it's called these days) is realistically the limit of their capabilities.

Oh yeah? For what reason do you think this or are you talking put of your hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They will only be able to get so far due to their rules. They won't have Shirt sponsors and I think they have a view of that they won't move games for Tv purposes.(I could be wrong on that one)

I respect what they did. They walked away from the glamour of Supporting Man Utd to form a club by their own ethos. I'm sick to back teeth of fans of football league clubs whinging about how people that own the clubs they support. If somebody owns a club they have a right to do whatever they want with it, whether it be change the colour of the jersey, add Tigers to the name or move the club a hundred miles up the road. If people who are most protesting had any conviction they would leave the glamour of the football league and start their own club.

This against modern football mob have zero conviction. If they were so passionate and were not in a tiny minority, they would do what FCUM did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've been to see them play against Nantwich Town in the Conference. They brought along a good few fans and set off flares for the whole game. Seemed very out of place having that manic support at that game.

They will only be able to get so far due to their rules. They won't have Shirt sponsors and I think they have a view of that they won't move games for Tv purposes.(I could be wrong on that one)

I respect what they did. They walked away from the glamour of Supporting Man Utd to form a club by their own ethos. I'm sick to back teeth of fans of football league clubs whinging about how people that own the clubs they support. If somebody owns a club they have a right to do whatever they want with it, whether it be change the colour of the jersey, add Tigers to the name or move the club a hundred miles up the road. If people who are most protesting had any conviction they would leave the glamour of the football league and start their own club.

This against modern football mob have zero conviction. If they were so passionate and were not in a tiny minority, they would do what FCUM did.

I agree.

Doesn't matter that they're United fans, everyone should have massive respect for them.

Football has gone to sh*t in recent times, and it's clubs like FCUM which bring us back to the proper ideals of football.

Obviously their capabilities are limited, but I hope they go far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

comic-book.jpg

'Worst club name ever.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

United now have 2 stadiums that are better than Anfield

Advertisement