Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road rage

• 26-05-2015 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Watching a doc on rte1 about road rage

So AH do you suffer from some level of it, have you seen any crazy road rage?

I do beep the horn to foolish drivers if they cut in front of me or whatever. Do you?

Comments

Beeping the horn at foolish drivers cutting in is not so much "road rage" as "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

The cause of death on my death cert will be road rage..I have no doubt about this..I do regret what I say in front on my kids when Im driving but the red mist descends very quickly:(

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

so appropriate. watching the road warrior at the moment.

had some car try to overtake us once on some country roads, beeping an accelerating furiously. tailed us for about two mile before they just did a u turn. bloody weird, we could see him shaking his fist at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Definition of roadrage: Dublin Bus drivers.

I lightly beeped a dublin bus driver for cutting me off. When the lights went red, he left his bus to walk to my car, and shout at me. He f'd and blinded at me.

When i pointed out how much of a gentlemen he was, for shouting at an obviously pregnant woman, he once again told me to f off while making a **** gesture at me.

Que 'Bus Wanker' Jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not too bad these days. Just a finger or cursing the odd time.

Some dumb cnut cut across me last week actually (doing the usual thing of staying in the overtaking lane until just before their exit and unexpectedly veering across the lanes causing me to have to brake.

As said just restricted to giving the finger and swearing to myself.

Funnily enough, she was losing the plot much more than me, as if I was to blame in some way.

Id be mad too.

Seriously the film is mental. they got flamethrowers, lads in leather, crossbows and snakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Find the roads here good myself. Irish drivers are some of the best most educated in the world imo. Try Naples out for size if you want to see bad driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

cruais wrote: »
    Definition of roadrage: Dublin Bus drivers.

I lightly beeped a dublin bus driver for cutting me off. When the lights went red, he left his bus to walk to my car, and shout at me. He f'd and blinded at me.

When i pointed out how much of a gentlemen he was, for shouting at an obviously pregnant woman, he once again told me to f off while making a **** gesture at me.

Que 'Bus Wanker' Jokes.
    So he rushes to cut out in front of you then he suddenly has all the time in the world to come over to chat to you, what a gentleman (gobsh1te) :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Reiver wrote: »
    Id be mad too.

Seriously the film is mental. they got flamethrowers, lads in leather, crossbows and snakes!

Sounds like Dublin Castle the other day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

The usual cyclolouts, taxis and other anti social elements.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That must be the first time ever a BMW ever tailgated anyone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I'm afraid to go on the road in case I bump into Shane with the sunglasses and tribal tattoo from Galway. Did you see the damage he's done to that punching bag ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

pulling out of my estate this morning onto a very busy 50km/h main road, quite difficult to get out so after a few mins when i spotted a good break i pulled out, could see the car behind pulling up going well above 50km/h.
    I was only going 300m to drop the kid off before heading off to work and the guy tries to overtake me with oncoming traffic, WTF!!!!!! arrggghhh some people.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Na, don't have any road rage at all, if you lose the head on the road you're as well off it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Once you accept that everyone on the road is a crazy person trying to kill you then you begin to understand how they drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

I always curse and shout in the car if someone is driving like a knob... I reserve beeping the horn for serious matters.. sometimes when I pass someone who is clearly looking at the phone and not the road, id like to blast them out of it but be afraid incase I scared the sh1t out of them and cause them to crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

It's worrying that a driver in the wrong emits such fury at others, and how casual and knee-jerk it is and then just developing as habit. Another type of licence is required, one that specials like these surely won't pass.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    pulling out of my estate this morning onto a very busy 50km/h main road, quite difficult to get out so after a few mins when i spotted a good break i pulled out, could see the car behind pulling up going well above 50km/h.
    I was only going 300m to drop the kid off before heading off to work and the guy tries to overtake me with oncoming traffic, WTF!!!!!! arrggghhh some people.
    He's one of those drama Queens if a car pulls out a mile in front of him speed up to dramatise the situation :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Better off not flying into a complete rage, but I certainly understand how people can succumb to it in the heat of the moment, the state of the way some people behave on the road.
    I'd beep all right if they're really acting the dick - I'm not "above" it, that's silly. I'd bet nearly everyone gets annoyed with inconsiderate drivers, even if their reaction isn't at the top of the rage spectrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Sam Kade wrote: »
    So he rushes to cut out in front of you then he suddenly has all the time in the world to come over to chat to you, what a gentleman (gobsh1te) :mad:

Exactly. A royal prick.

Took the reg of the bus and sent a complaint into Dublin Bus.

Received the bog standard reply. "sorry your experience with dublin bus wasn't a good one. from the info provided by you, we were able to identify the driver and an investigation is underway".

Never heard a dickie bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

OMG... there's just too many times I have to remind myself this isn't a game of GTA, and no, I really shouldn't knock down that old lady. It would be fun, but no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

anncoates wrote: »
    Funnily enough, she was losing the plot much more than me, as if I was to blame in some way.

Always baffling when they do this, met a driver on the wrong side of the road once, I stopped, and she looked at me like I was insane. (Just to be clear, she wasn't foreign, and I wasn't abroad.)
    Once you accept that everyone on the road is a crazy person trying to kill you then you begin to understand how they drive.

I agree with this. You must assume that everybody else on the road is utterly stupid or totally evil. It's all good from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I seem to have become quite good at anticipating other people's idiocy, so I'm usually on the brakes, easing off or giving them a wide berth in plenty of time. I can't remember the last time I beeped the horn at anyone. It's not because I think I'm "above" it... It's because I'm not "above" making the odd mistake myself. I like a nice, quiet, peaceful, undramatic life - and that extends to driving too.

Also, my car horn sounds very high-pitched and silly, which doesn't really lend itself to aggression.

RayM wrote: »
    I seem to have become quite good at anticipating other people's idiocy, so I'm usually on the brakes, easing off or giving them a wide berth in plenty of time. I can't remember the last time I beeped the horn at anyone. It's not because I think I'm "above" it... It's because I'm not "above" making the odd mistake myself. I like a nice, quiet, peaceful, undramatic life - and that extends to driving too.

Also, my car horn sounds very high-pitched and silly, which doesn't really lend itself to aggression.
    Like a yaris :D I often wondered if you put a lorry horn into a yaris and when some gobsh1te drives out in front of you because it's only a yaris let it rip and leave him gobsmacked :)

Reiver wrote: »
    Id be mad too.

I know it's great!

I loved the original mad max!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

It is always when you are in a hurry that you will get delayed by slow car, tractor and silage trailer or team sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

clearly looking at the phone and not the road,

theres nothing worse.

just the silhouette of them gawking at the phone and taking up your time.

durr ...oh what ... lights ... oh

my trivial text is more important than your time.

if i ever kill someone its for this.

• Advertisement

I loved the original mad max!

It was amazing. the whole chase with truck and trailer, the pimped out doom mobiles chasing them and the mix of medieval and modern tech, pure deadly.

Couldnt believe at the end it was just ufll with sand. maybe its a metaphor thing for road rage. at the end its all for naught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Kind of a realy eye-opener IMO. You never know what another driver may be capable of!

The story with the man from Donegal was a real shocker I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Im the sorta quiet road rager...You wont know you annoyed me usually but I will be sitting in my car calling you every word Im not allowed to post here :) If you happen to stop at the same shop as me or whatever I will bring it to your attention in a not so friendly manner (depending on the incident) but I wouldnt tail someone and beep after they did something silly. To me you are being just as dangerous as they were if not more so by doing that. Basically Im a road rager who doesnt rage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Yeah beep the horn ..then accelerate if they look mean..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Yep, it was all over the front page.

Yeah beep the horn ..then accelerate if they look mean..

Dont ever be afraid to use your horn.

• Advertisement

Dont ever be afraid to use your horn.
    Have you seen the Onion thread Beetroot???

No

Im not compelled like yourself to post in every thread :pac:

Im not compelled like yourself to post in every thread :pac:
    Quite right, I understand. I did for it you. :pac: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Anything I say. What a wonderful philosophy you have. Take him away.

It is always when you are in a hurry that you will get delayed by slow car, tractor and silage trailer or team sky.

But when you aren't in a hurry you don't take any notice of them even though they are still there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've very bad road rage. It's crazy cos I'd never speak to anyone like that or use the language in my daily life that I use when I'm behind the wheel. One time a bus beeped at me and the driver pointed his two fingers to his eyes as in to say "open your eyes"; I misinterpreted this as him giving me the two fingers and I stuck mine up and said "fcuk you too!!!". My bf had to tell me what he actually meant. Oops hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I get the rage a lot more here. :(

Last Tuesday; drove 330+ Km in Spain Barca to Valencia. Tipped along at 140 most of the way, witnessed two overtaking lane hoggers on the whole trip-whom the locals weren't long blasting off the road either...ended the journey calm & relaxed.

Today: drove from Wicklow to Belfast & back. By the time I got to Bray north I felt like punching babies. The amount of stupid, petty f**king lane hoggers, people with no spatial awareness, clowns on the phone with no concept about what's actually going on around them is nuts.

Flashed a few and blew the horn at one for a typical sloppy merging tactic-coming on to the motorway behind a lorry so cuts across two lanes into the overtaking lane at 95ish in front of me; doing 120ish...I mean what could possibly go wrong?

No wonder people get the rage with the amount of ignorant and just plain useless drivers on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Well lads , ill drop this little ditty here to see if i can get any comfort or advice.

Last Friday While entering a dual carrigway road via a slip road , I notice a blue civic very close behind me , As i drive along I wait for the traffic island to finish so that i can move right onto the main road , As i do this i notice the blue civic cut the island and dart for the over take lane behind me . I am still progressing into the overtake lane as the left lane has busy queueing traffic. As i complete the maneuver into the over take lane this guy is now up my hole lights flashing and his missus givin me the finger in the rear view. we continue along for about 2 miles with him up my ass and finger flipping me the whole way. The traffic then merges into one lane and in this spot often comes to a complete stop . I then see this nutter running from his car to mine , he gets to my window calls me every kind of name imagineable and then spits in my face. ( I wipe the spit from my face with my jumper sleeve) Car to my left sees what has happend and points me in to pull in , so i did . I got out of may car to go take a pic of the reg and then re-enter my car and call gardai. The Blue civic then pulls infront of me and they get out and hurl abuse at me while on the phone to 999. While i am reporting the incident , they then get in the car and drive off ( Also stated this on the 999 call) . Cops arrive and take my story . For three days they cannot contact the owner. I gave my statement yesterday ( Sunday) and then i get a call to say they drove to the next town and reported me for dangerous driving ????????

I was not able to take picture of them at the front of my car when they pulled in as i was on the phone to An garda Siochana ? They have said that they saw me dangerous driving and drove on to next town to report me and that they did not get out of the car or stop . ( Two pics i took clearly show them stopped and traffic moving on left of them - ie each pic has them in the same spot and diff cars on the left in each image , thus showing them stopped and cars moving on the left of them.)

Will An Garda use my jumper for the DNA evidence to prove this man did actually stop get out and spit on me ? I feel now that i do not have enough evidence and that Garda will not use the sleeve for the evidence ? IS there any way to force this to be checked ? as its my only way to prove what the driver did ?

I did give other registrations of cars in the pics to the gards but im being told by the gard "Ye ye they probably will not go as witness as they dont want to miss work to give evidence" ? The cop also made a haims of tracing down the owner and for three days told me i was the only person complaining then on sunday he tells me no no i got it wrong , I was checking the wrong owner ??? im like WTF something is up here . This cop even tried to dis courage me from pressing ahead road side when logging the incident .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Jesus, spit in the face. What a scumbag. What happened with the car on the left who motioned you to pull in? Did you speak to the driver at all. Maybe they'll give a statement for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

@dbit... to be honest, the gardai will do nothing here. As for being reported for dangerous driving, I wouldnt worry about it.. it wont go any further as the low life will have the burden of proof, of which he has none. Only reason you were reported is because he saw you taking photos and he is attempting to pre-empt any action you may be taking against him. As hard and all as it may seem, just forget about it.

Spitting isnt exactly assault.. its in same catagory as verbal abuse. The amount paperwork a garda would have to do wouldnt be worth the efforts here.

dbit wrote: »
    Will An Garda use my jumper for the DNA evidence to prove this man did actually stop get out and spit on me ? I feel now that i do not have enough evidence and that Garda will not use the sleeve for the evidence ? IS there any way to force this to be checked ? as its my only way to prove what the driver did ?

I did give other registrations of cars in the pics to the gards but im being told by the gard "Ye ye they probably will not go as witness as they dont want to miss work to give evidence" ? The cop also made a haims of tracing down the owner and for three days told me i was the only person complaining then on sunday he tells me no no i got it wrong , I was checking the wrong owner ??? im like WTF something is up here . This cop even tried to dis courage me from pressing ahead road side when logging the incident .

No one can tell you how it will go, but think the DNA testing a little unlikely.

Much will depend on the weight of evidence, so far it seems like 2 of them v 1 of you. Of course their story may fall apart when tested. I don't think the Gardai will trawl other car owners on the off chance they may have spotted something as they whizzed by, the one you should focus on is the fellow who was on your left and who saw it. As an independent witness, they could make all the difference.

Tracing car owners can be difficult, sometimes the address on the ownership information is not updated etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do follow it up that advice to just let it go is terrible.

Push the Gardai to enforce action.

In my work this happens quite a lot and come across plenty of aggressive drivers.

Keep your jumper in a bag and don't touch it.
    Give the guard a chance and see if he will pursue and if not a nice letter to a higher ranking officer and ask why can this sort of assault go unpunished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Do follow it up that advice to just let it go is terrible.

Push the Gardai to enforce action.

In my work this happens quite a lot and come across plenty of aggressive drivers.

Keep your jumper in a bag and don't touch it.
    Give the guard a chance and see if he will pursue and if not a nice letter to a higher ranking officer and ask why can this sort of assault go unpunished.

With all due respect, the chances of dna testing over a road rage incident that didnt involve a collision or injury would be zero.

• Advertisement
Advertisement