Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Point Break 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Why is this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Keanu Reeves back as Johnny Utah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kurt Wimmerwrote the screenplay for the new film, which is set in the international world of extreme sports as opposed to the Southern California surf scene of the original. The plot of an FBI agent infiltrating a crime ring as well as the names of the principal characters remain the same.
    Butler will play Bodhi, an expert extreme-sports athlete who seeks nirvana through the conquest of a series of athletic feats such as surfing 100-foot waves. He saves Johnny Utah, the undercover FBI agent, and brings him into the fold of international criminals. The part of Utah is not cast yet.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Wooooooooooo back off warchild, seriously. I really hope this doesn't happen. Gerard Butler is a poor mans Clive Owen and hasn't got one per cent of the charisma of Patrick Swayze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Young, dumb and full of...

Wait, what? Gerard Butler? Leave it alone ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Point Break is good because it's hilarious.

If they actually try to make a serious film about (oh, go on, spoilers then)
    a group of extreme sport enthusiasts who dress as presidents and say things like "gnarly" totally unironically and they try to play it off as a serious film it could well be the most atrocious thing that has ever happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Gbear wrote: »
    Point Break is good because it's hilarious.

Only by accident, which is why it's funny.

If they try to remake it as a comedy, it will definitely fail.

If they try a straight-faced remake, there is a tiny chance that it might be accidentally funny, like the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Gerard Butler is surely 10 years too old for this part? Bad Idea...

EDIT: Butler is 44 now. Swayze was 38 when he made the original... I dunno bout this a'tall a'tall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This makes me sad. :(

I have nothing else to say about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

THIS.IS.POINT BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why can't hllywood leave the classics alone.Point Break is brilliant in part due to Patrick Swayzes hair which will never be re created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Why can't hllywood leave the classics alone.Point Break is brilliant in part due to Patrick Swayzes hair which will never be re created.

trail_landing_r1c1.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It was already remade as The Fast and the Furious sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Gerard Butler always strikes me as a bit date rapey, whereas Patrick Swayze would never stoop so low.
    One man oozes sleaze while the other was a cool as fuck individual.
    To me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

longshanks wrote: »
    Gerard Butler always strikes me as a bit date rapey, whereas Patrick Swayze would never stoop so low.
    One man oozes sleaze while the other was a cool as fuck individual.
    To me anyway.

Strange description, but I'm inclined to agree. The biggest problem here for me is that Gerard Butler is charmless. He has arrogance and is presumably fit enough to pass off as an extreme sports athlete, but where's the charm? Nowhere. He just doesn't have good likability which Swazye had in spades.

Swazye was cool!

Butler is trying to be cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't think I have seen Butler fit comfortably into any role outside of '300'. He's made a few attempts at the action man and the whole romantic thing to no great effect.

Maybe he just doesn't have the range to take him beyond swords & sandals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Gerard Butler to play Bodhi in remake Source
    Jesus :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Not familiar with the actor, looks a bit 'meh'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

For the love of god, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was Point Break never shown on TV or something? Because it’s probably the only late ‘80s/early ‘90s action flick I'd never heard of until a few year ago. I watched it first time last year and wasn’t too impressed, but I probably would have loved it as a teen.

Was Point Break never shown on TV or something? Because it’s probably the only late ‘80s/early ‘90s action flick I'd never heard of until a few year ago. I watched it first time last year and wasn’t too impressed, but I probably would have loved it as a teen.

If I recall correctly TG4 used to show it and I'm sure it popped up in UTV more than once. Like a lot of action films from that time you really need to see it as a teen to truly get it. I grabbed the Blu-Ray the day it was released and haven't rewatched it as every time I get in the mood to do do I worry that I may end up hating it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Baze

Get me two!

Packed house in the Lighthouse last year when it was shown.

Leave it alone ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Keno wrote: »
    Why is this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Remaking Point Break? That would be a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Butler is out of this nonsense remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

Good. I hope it's the beginning of the end. Shooting was supposed to start in June. That won't happen now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Latest talk is for Bodhi to be played by Edgar Ramirez (Wrath of the Titans).

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

STOP REMAKING MOVIES

Sorry.

If it happens, straight to dvd I expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭saucyleopard

I'm sure that when Hollywood remakes it they will be as sure to make it even better than the original - Just look at Psycho , Total Recall and many more!!! Sorry, couldn't help taking the PSSSS ( you know what I mean!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭The Magnificent Falcowboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

Big fan of the original movie so I don't think I can ever agree with the remake :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Out of interest, does anybody know when Hollywood last had a new idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Like most I'm a big fan of the original but this doesn't look too bad.

Loved the comment on the IMDB page "Couldn't here the audio, due to high pitched whizzing sound of Patrick Swayze spinning in his grave." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

This looks like it's departed enough from the original Point Break to have a few surprises. My only issue is, why call it Point Break? Why not call it Point Break: High Octane or some such thing?

When this comes out, young moviegoers will say things like 'did you see Point Break?', completely unaware that the film is a remake. That's what annoys me. It's like they're trying to erase the existence of the original.

It was the same when they made a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing and called it The Thing. Not even The Thing Begins or some such title.

If Mad Max Fury Road had been just called Mad Max, I guarantee you, there wouldn't have been as much affection for it, because people would see it as a cynical cash in. With that simple subtitle - Fury Road - its seen as an extension of the Mad Max universe, even though Fury Road is not really a sequel to the Mad Max films (Max's V8, which is destroyed mid-way through The Road Warrior, reappears at the beginning of the film, for some reason.)

I really feel they should introduce a rule whereby once an officially recognised film is named, that name cannot be used again (the same way The Butler had to be officially renamed Lee Daniels' The Butler because there already was a film called The Butler).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The above post is spot on.
    The actors kinda sound retarded in places. Ray Winstone's accent sounds brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I was really dreading this movie as I have such fond memories of the original, so I was really not expecting to like this. However, the action scenes and stunts look pretty good. There may be hope for this. I don't recognise either of the two leads from anything else, so they're not exactly big names. The acting and dialogue isn't very inspiring but what can you tell in two minutes.

It reminded me a bit of the remake of The Italian Job. A good film in its own right but not really a remake, they just tried to cash in on the title. I'm thinking that someone had some ideas for some cool heists and some cool extreme sports footage and thought, hey, lets stick them together and call it Point Break.

The original, in the hands of someone less talented than Katherine Bigelow could have been just another run of the mill nineties action flick but she made it into something special. If this turns out to be just a good solid action movie I will be quite happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Was the ENTIRE film shot in front of green screen? Looks feckin horrendous.

Looks Awful.

This looks like it's departed enough from the original Point Break to have a few surprises. My only issue is, why call it Point Break? Why not call it Point Break: High Octane or some such thing?

When this comes out, young moviegoers will say things like 'did you see Point Break?', completely unaware that the film is a remake. That's what annoys me. It's like they're trying to erase the existence of the original.

It was the same when they made a prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing and called it The Thing. Not even The Thing Begins or some such title.

If Mad Max Fury Road had been just called Mad Max, I guarantee you, there wouldn't have been as much affection for it, because people would see it as a cynical cash in. With that simple subtitle - Fury Road - its seen as an extension of the Mad Max universe, even though Fury Road is not really a sequel to the Mad Max films (Max's V8, which is destroyed mid-way through The Road Warrior, reappears at the beginning of the film, for some reason.)

I really feel they should introduce a rule whereby once an officially recognised film is named, that name cannot be used again (the same way The Butler had to be officially renamed Lee Daniels' The Butler because there already was a film called The Butler).

The whole point of the Mad Max films is that there is no real continuity, they are fables being told by historians. It's why his V8 can be destroyed and reappear, the storyteller has dramatic license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I am a F B I CGI agent!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly why even call it Point Break ............ it is so far detached from the original you could call it anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Shows everything wrong with Hollywood nowadays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

endacl wrote: »
    Out of interest, does anybody know when Hollywood last had a new idea?

I can somewhat answer this because I came across it in research for an academic essay recently.

Out of the top 10 grossing movies of 2014 the only film that was NOT a reboot, remake, part of a franchise or a sequel was Christopher Nolans Interstellar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

MrWalsh wrote: »
    I can somewhat answer this because I came across it in research for an academic essay recently.

Out of the top 10 grossing movies of 2014 the only film that was NOT a reboot, remake, part of a franchise or a sequel was Christopher Nolans Interstellar.

And it was the greatest film of 2014 - greatest Sci Fi since 2001....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Wow - it really does look awful.

I thought Gerard Butler was supposed to play Bodie?

• Advertisement
Advertisement