Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fifa Superthread; Corruption, Arrests and Sepp Blatter's Resignation!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

The charges allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well
    as marketing and broadcast deals, according to three law enforcement officials with direct knowledge of the case.

Great to see it. Is it a bit strange that only PRINCE ALI BIN AL-HUSSEIN
    is running against Blatter (No published manifesto) for President?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fifa-presidential-election-candidates-114015359--sow.html
    Key quote: ''We have to go on (with) what we have done so far and improve.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is it not strange that the notoriously secretive Swiss are doing this?

I wonder is Sepp cleaning house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Is it not strange that the notoriously secretive Swiss are doing this?

I wonder is Sepp cleaning house?

I think you might be overestimating his influence on US law enforcement there.

I strongly doubt he has much or any influence over Swiss extradition policies either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good stuff. Hopefully this leads to the entire organisation being revealed for what it is

I think you might be overestimating his influence on US law enforcement there.

I doubt the US DOJ are influenced by Sepp at all.
    I strongly doubt he has much or any influence over Swiss extradition policies either.
    Switzerland knows its clients value privacy.
    Accordingly, Swiss authorities are genuinely wary of executing external warrants.

Would I be surprised if the Switzerland based FIFA, ran by Swiss Sepp Blatter had a modicum of influence over Swiss authorities?.... No, I'd expect it.

Its not by accident these governing bodies (IOC etc) reside there, it isn't because of some perception of Swiss neutrality.
    Its because Switzerland builds its reputation as a financial bolt-hole from not asking questions vis-a-vis money.

Blatter is King Rat, the world knows it.
    I've a slight feeling his lack of arrest here is no accident.

Could be wrong though, perhaps Sepp is whiter than white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

From the BBC - My onlu surprise is Blatter is not arrested.....YET:rolleyes:

Six football officials have been arrested at a hotel in Zurich, Switzerland, over corruption charges at governing body Fifa, officials say.
    The suspects, who are said to include a Fifa vice-president, have been detained pending extradition to the US.
    The charges include money laundering, racketeering and wire fraud.
    Fifa members are gathering in Zurich for their annual meeting on Friday, where incumbent President Sepp Blatter is seeking a fifth term.
    However, Mr Blatter is not understood to be one of those arrested.
    'Seeking clarification'
    The New York Times says plain-clothed police officers took the room keys from the reception of Baur au Lac hotel, where the officials were staying, and headed to their rooms. It said the operation was carried out peacefully.
    Fifa Vice-President Jeffrey Webb has been named as one of the officials arrested, says the BBC's Richard Conway, who is at the Zurich hotel. Mr Webb is head of the confederation for North and Central America and the Caribbean.
    Members of the media stand outside the Baur au Lac hotel in Zurich, Switzerland, on 27 May 2015.
    The raid took place at a five star hotel in Zurich early on Wednesday
    New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt said he also saw Fifa official Eduardo Li of Costa Rica being led by the authorities from his room out of the building.
    A Fifa spokesman said the organisation was seeking to clarify the situation.
    The Swiss Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) said in a statement on Wednesday that US authorities suspected the officials of receiving $100m worth of bribes since the early 1990s. The crimes were agreed to and prepared in the US via US bank accounts, it adds.
    Swiss authorities can immediately approve the extradition, the statement continues.
    The BBC has learned that Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein of Jordan - Sepp Blatter's rival for Fifa presidency - and his advisers will meet later on Wednesday to discuss the impact of the arrests on the presidential election this Friday.
    Earlier this month, Mr Blatter said he was aware some of his former colleagues were under investigation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32895048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"Crisis? What crisis?!"

Nothing will change I reckon. FIFA and Blatter will retain control yet hold zero credibility.

None of the charges relate to Qatar 2022.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Nothing will change I reckon.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Accordingly, Swiss authorities are genuinely wary of executing external warrants.

Would I be surprised if the Switzerland based FIFA, ran by Swiss Sepp Blatter had a modicum of influence over Swiss authorities?.... No, I'd expect it.

Its not by accident these governing bodies (IOC etc) reside there, it isn't because of some perception of Swiss neutrality.
    Its because Switzerland builds its reputation as a financial bolt-hole from not asking questions vis-a-vis money.

Good post hard to disagree with any of that.

What could be interesting here is the fall out on the likes of Coke and Visa sponsorship. Will pressure be brought to bear on them by the US authorities or investors when this is coupled with the ever increasing noises regarding the plight if workers on the stadia in Qatar.

If it starts to affect the bottom line then Blatter might be in a spot of bother as there may not be a queue to replace them, certainly not from US companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Or maybe it's just that they don't have enough proof to arrest him yet (not that they necessarily will at some stage).

That seems far more likely to me than that Blatter somehow managed to get either US DOJ to not request his extradition despite them wanting to, or the Swiss authorities to refuse it.

• Advertisement

Or maybe it's just that they don't have enough proof to arrest him yet (not that they necessarily will at some stage).

That seems far more likely to me than that Blatter somehow managed to get either US DOJ to not request his extradition despite them wanting to, or the Swiss authorities to refuse it.

I agree.

My hypothesis, though much less likely, wouldn't be that surprising if it turned out to be the case.
    Its just an inkling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And 6 arrests has been made so far.
    Unfortunately Blatter isnt one of them

Story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

3 threads all linked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder why they used US bank accounts for these transactions ?
    Would have thought Swiss bank accounts are the way to go on this type of thing.

I bet they regret it now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm now imagining this as being like a new season of the Wire
    "From reports emanating from the US late last year, what is understood is that a man by the name of Chuck Blazer, who was a very powerful Fifa official for a number of years, was turned into a co-operating witness for the FBI.

"That obviously attracted the attention of law enforcement. They, according to reports, gave him a wiretap and that was used at a series of meetings in London in summer 2012 in which conversations took place with a number of leading officials. Those conversations are said to have spurred on this investigation and today I think we are starting to see the results, perhaps, of those conversations - that wiretap evidence. This investigation has been ongoing in the US."

and the world cup too
    Swiss legal authorities have announced that criminal proceedings have opened "against persons unknown on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and of money laundering in connection with the allocation of the 2018 and 2022 football World Cups".

Too bad the U.S will have no intention to look into Platini c.s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

If the links to the World Cup campaigns are proven, there is only 3 years until Russia 2018 it would cause an awful mess. I'm not sure anyone ever expected Qatar to be hosting the World Cup in 2022, it reeked of corruption and its such a shame to hear the stories of migrant workers dying in developing the infrastructure.

sugarman wrote: »
    Germany could hold 2018 with a months notice.

2022 should rightfully be taken away and awarded to Australia or the USA as it was anticipated.

I remember reading something about Germany being put on standby in the leadup to South Africa 2010, Im sure it would take more than a month though :D

The previous hosts are always the standby for the next competition, as they'd usually have the infrastructure still largely in place.

The Brazilians will love that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There are actually 2 seperate investigations. One is by the FBI into corruption and one is by the Swiss Office of the Attorney General into the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 world cups. Statement for the Swiss Office of the Attorney General here

FIFA press conference due any minute.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

FIFA press conference due any minute.

Interesting times.

It's live on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyi8VXGMtd4

(can't be embedded)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I remember reading something about Germany being put on standby in the leadup to South Africa 2010, Im sure it would take more than a month though :D

I wouldn't be surprised if the Germans could do it in such short notice.

Great public transport, well developed tourist trade, stadiums and training grounds. It's all there already.

I'd still like to see England get it, they were screwed by the looks of things. Not to mention, a cheap flight and a few games would be great!

Roar wrote: »

(can't be embedded)

For those unable to watch, it'll go a little something like this

07-minister.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

For those unable to watch, it'll go a little something like this

07-minister.jpg

Spot on. He's basically held a press conference to say he can't say anything.

Guardian liveblogging it
    De Gregorio says he cannot confirm how many serving executives have been arrested, and says there will be no re-vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. “The World Cups will be played in Russia and Qatar.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't believe that its a given that the events of this morning will eventually lead to the down fall of Blatter.

The opposite may be the case.

Remember Blatter did not vote for Qatar, so if these arrests are related to Qatar then Blatter may be in the clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Four of the arrested officials including Blazer have already plead guilty to charges it seems. Going to be an interesting day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Watching the press conference and Batman apparently works for reuters. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Great stuff, but I can see Blatter throw them under the bus and get away with it.

Had to laugh at the cheek of this though (from the NY Times article):
    It was later revealed by England’s bid chief that four ExCo members had solicited bribes from him for their votes; one asked for $2.5 million, while another, Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay, requested a knighthood.

edit: Seems the US Department of Justice is using the RICO Act, meaning that there is even a chance that all of FIFA will be charged or investigated. Even Blatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Nine FIFA Officials and Five Corporate Executives Indicted for Racketeering Conspiracy and Corruption.
    Jeffrey Webb: Current FIFA vice president and executive committee member, CONCACAF president, Caribbean Football Union (CFU) executive committee member and Cayman Islands Football Association (CIFA) president.

Eduardo Li: Current FIFA executive committee member-elect, CONCACAF executive committee member and Costa Rican soccer federation (FEDEFUT) president.

Julio Rocha: Current FIFA development officer. Former Central American Football Union (UNCAF) president and Nicaraguan soccer federation (FENIFUT) president.

Costas Takkas: Current attaché to the CONCACAF president. Former CIFA general secretary.

Jack Warner: Former FIFA vice president and executive committee member, CONCACAF president, CFU president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) special adviser.

Eugenio Figueredo: Current FIFA vice president and executive committee member. Former CONMEBOL president and Uruguayan soccer federation (AUF) president.

Rafael Esquivel: Current CONMEBOL executive committee member and Venezuelan soccer federation (FVF) president.

José Maria Marin: Current member of the FIFA organizing committee for the Olympic football tournaments. Former CBF president.

Nicolás Leoz: Former FIFA executive committee member and CONMEBOL president.

Four of the defendants were sports marketing executives:

Alejandro Burzaco: Controlling principal of Torneos y Competencias S.A., a sports marketing business based in Argentina, and its affiliates.

Aaron Davidson: President of Traffic Sports USA Inc. (Traffic USA).

Hugo and Mariano Jinkis: Controlling principals of Full Play Group S.A., a sports marketing business based in Argentina, and its affiliates.

And one of the defendants was in the broadcasting business but allegedly served as an intermediary to facilitate illicit payments between sports marketing executives and soccer officials:

José Margulies: Controlling principal of Valente Corp. and Somerton Ltd.

The guilty pleas are from Daryll Warner, Daryan Warner, Charles Blazer, Jose Hawilla, Traffic Sports International Inc. and Traffic Sports USA Inc.

José Hawilla being the owner and founder of the Traffic Group, a multinational sports marketing conglomerate headquartered in Brazil.

Full DoJ press release here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Here's hoping some of them dob Blatter in to make life easier for themselves.

FIFA's statement is absolutely laughable.

They have no shame.

A6lGjPJ.jpg

edit: From reddit about FIFA's Press Conference:
    Q1: Will the election be delayed?
    A1: We will go on with the agenda, it will take place as planned.

Q2: Are both investigations coincidence in terms of the timing?
    A2: As the GA said, all the people concerned with the congress are here. You can later talk to them

Q3: Can you confirm how many serving members of the committee are confined? Can you confirm if WC 2018 and 2022 could be relocated?
    A3: No, no. Can't confirm.

Q4: Again a question on the relevance between the election and the investigations.
    A4: Again it's merely a coincidence. Only a matter of what could be done. We knew there would be one, we didn't know about what would happen today.

Q5: Is there a lower moment for the FIFA in your history (reputation wise)? And for what kind of FIFA will Blatter be president in the next days?
    A5: Again, this is good for us. We wouldn't have any interest in giving our aid to the police if this would damage us. This is not a nice day, as we are very busy now, but it's also a good day. We're looking forward for the results

Q6: How can you really rule out the relocation of the WC in Russia and Qatar? With all these things going on. And won't Baltter be damaged by this.
    A6: We stand by what is fact today. We can't change these things based on assumptions.

Q7: In any normal org that has received scandals and such for decades the leadership would be held accountable. Why in earth is Blatter still the right person? And you said that FIFA is the damaged party. Isn't it the football fans who are the damaged party?
    A7: Of course football fans are the damaged party, aren't we all? And Blatter isn't a target in this investigation.

Q8: Can you confirm that Blatter didn't receive a warning about this investigation? What is his reaction to this?
    A8: None of us knew about this action. We had no way to know about this, as is the normal procedure for these things. We haven't gotten any time to really prepare this.
    Q8(addendum): What is Blatter's mental state?
    A8(a): He's busy with the election. He's relaxed because he isn't involved in any of this. It was FIFA on the 18th of November to open this case.

Q9: Is it still the position of Blatter and the rest of FIFA to have the Garcia report not shown with all these scandals?
    A9: We'll open the report when all these scandals are solved, as we stated the previous year.

Q10: The statement of the department of justice in the us is that this is not the end. Do these scandals plunge the FIFA in another crisis.
    A10: If they go on they go on. It's a hard time for us, we have to explain these things for you but this is good for us. It hurts but it's the only way to go. We are ready to go the way we started 4 years ago.

Q11: There was a trip planned to Canada for Blatter regarding the Women's World Cup.
    A11: None of these plans have changed. The president wouldn't avoid the US to evade investigation. If he has to be questioned they wouldn't have to wait till his trip to the US. It has no influence on his travel plans.

Q12: Could you elaborate on what happened this morning?
    A12: I was sleeping at the time. How it worked and how it did and if there were any problems you'd have to ask my colleague.
    Q12(addendum): Does the justice department have the Garcia report?
    A12(a): Yes, since the 18th of November

Q13: Will any of the arrested officials be suspended? And you said Blatter is relaxed? That is strange to say if FIFA is once again involved in a scandal.
    A13: He is very calm, he's not joyful. He is cooperative, that's what i meant. He knows these are the consequences of our effort the 18th of November. The officials aren't convicted. We can't suspend them based on a arrest.

Q14: Blatter has been talking years about rooting out corruption. Isn't it so that this is being cleaned out by someone else?
    A14: We can only do so much until we need aid. We handed over the Garcia file to the police because we needed them. We are fully cooperative

Q15: If i understand correctly these officials won't be harmed because they're no accused. What will happen when they're actually convicted?
    A15: Well, there's a procedure for these things. There is a committee for suspension and stuff. We can't suspend them this early, we will look towards the results of this investigation. We can't act when this only happened 5 hours ago. On such short notice suspending someone is impossible.

Q16: You don't wanna mention any names, fully understandable. (edit: Couldn't fully understand his question)
    A16: we can't say any names. please be patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

However this pans out, fair f***s to the FBI and US Dept of Justice. The US is hopefully doing the world of football a huge favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I wonder if this will have a domino effect? Some of these guys might start naming other officials to cut a deal with the US DOJ. US DOJ got involved initially because of Blazer's tax evasion charges a while back. He cut a deal and wore a wire to other meetings of FIFA officials. Some questions above about why US DOJ is doing this? Well some of the money somehow went through from US banks and that's easy to track. So the Swiss authorities have to become involved if the source or destination of this money is Switzerland.

Blatter is probably safe for now but over longer term he may not survive this. All of FIFA's contant replies over the years has been "No there is nothing to see here, move on please". How can the make that claim now? These are not low level FIFA officials, these guys are high ranking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

However this pans out, fair f***s to the FBI and US Dept of Justice. The US is hopefully doing the world of football a huge favour.

Swiss authorities co-operating fully too. Just because he is Swiss himself, doesn't mean he is hated any less in his home country than he is anywhere else in the world.

I genuinely hope this means the end of this nonsense idea of playing a WC in the desert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

America

Football level - 4

Litigation level - Over 9000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Only chance there'll be any change in FIFA is if the FA's and players pull out of the competitions or breakaway from the federation.

Unfortunately the majority of FA chairmen across the world are seriously lacking in any backbone when it comes to this or are just as corrupt as those at the top of the tree.

FatherTed wrote: »
    I wonder if this will have a domino effect? Some of these guys might start naming other officials to cut a deal with the US DOJ. US DOJ got involved initially because of Blazer's tax evasion charges a while back. He cut a deal and wore a wire to other meetings of FIFA officials. Some questions above about why US DOJ is doing this? Well some of the money somehow went through from US banks and that's easy to track. So the Swiss authorities have to become involved if the source or destination of this money is Switzerland.

Blatter is probably safe for now but over longer term he may not survive this. All of FIFA's contant replies over the years has been "No there is nothing to see here, move on please". How can the make that claim now? These are not low level FIFA officials, these guys are high ranking.

That is how RICO works, it's entirely aimed at taking down the small time players and have them give up the big names.

Considering several have already plead guilty I think it's only a matter of time for Blatter to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Without UEFA countries there would be no World Cup
    They could do something

Without UEFA countries there would be no World Cup
    They could do something

UEFA/Platini are not much better than FIFA/Blatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    That is how RICO works, it's entirely aimed at taking down the small time players and have them give up the big names.

Considering several have already plead guilty I think it's only a matter of time for Blatter to get involved.

I would be very surprised if Blatter wasn't well insulated against all bold stuff.

Nobody will get him, he might be forced to resign but then thhe next most corrupt guy that has dirt on everyone will just come in and pretend to be a breath of fresh air for a couple of years before awarding the Islamic State the 2030 world cup.

The only way that anything will change is if people go for the sponsors.

every morning tweet @mcdonalds or @cocacola or @nike that you don't like the way they're indirectly promoting the slavery and deaths of thousands of migrant workers.

A few thousand people doing that every day would start the ball rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

inforfun wrote: »
    UEFA/Platini are not much better than FIFA/Blatter.

At least there is no suggestion that UEFA officials are involved in corruption. UEFA also seem to be the only federation that speaks out against Blatter.
    Coincidence ?

greendom wrote: »
    At least there is no suggestion that UEFA officials are involved in corruption. UEFA also seem to be the only federation that speaks out against Blatter.
    Coincidence ?

If it was up to the UEFA, the WC would be the EURO's with Brasil and Argentina added. Just look at the "Champions" League.
    They are just as much about the money grabbing as FIFA is, just happen to be in a bit more civilised and regulated part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

inforfun wrote: »
    If it was up to the UEFA, the WC would be the EURO's with Brasil and Argentina added. Just look at the "Champions" League.
    They are just as much about the money grabbing as FIFA is, just happen to be in a bit more civilised and regulated part of the world.

I think that is UEFA promoting its own interests and is perfectly justifiable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Important point:

"Let me be clear: this indictment is not the final chapter in our investigation."

The FIFA officials must be shaking in their shoes wondering who will be next. I believe there will be a news conference by the US DOJ/FBI at 10:30am NY Time in 40 minutes or so.

gosplan wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if Blatter wasn't well insulated against all bold stuff.

Nobody will get him, he might be forced to resign but then thhe next most corrupt guy that has dirt on everyone will just come in and pretend to be a breath of fresh air for a couple of years before awarding the Islamic State the 2030 world cup.

The only way that anything will change is if people go for the sponsors.

every morning tweet @mcdonalds or @cocacola or @nike that you don't like the way they're indirectly promoting the slavery and deaths of thousands of migrant workers.

A few thousand people doing that every day would start the ball rolling

He can be insulated all he wants, RICO is designed to catch people indirectly involved in crime.

So let's say they can prove wide spread corruption in FIFA then he can be arrested for leading an organisation that corrupt.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Assuming the above tweets are correct, I can see a lot more people in FIFA getting done when they're ratted out by the guys arrested today trying to bargain.

This could be a defining moment in the history of the sport, one for the better you would think.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement