Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fifa Superthread; Corruption, Arrests and Sepp Blatter's Resignation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Great president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wow. No way this guy resigns unless he's been caught red-handed. Delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Today is a very good day for football. But FIFA has a lot of work to do and it will take more than removing a figurehead, to clean up its act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

As great as it is, it's FIFA, he'll just be replaced by someone as corrupt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The one day I am without internet for 12 hours. This happens.

Great news. I'll start catching up on the day now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I ain't complaining about this but it won't matter if the Qatar world cup still goes ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its either the sponsors saying enough is enough and threatning to pull out or the FBI are closing in on him and hes bailing out before it all comes out....
    Maybe a bit of both.
    The fact that he got re-elected this time around means there is FAR more corrupt nations then meets the eye. At least all these arrests and charges is the start of it. Big clean out job needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Very curious to see what will happen now, I hope he still sees jail time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Watch out for all the UK pundits and talking heads queuing up to put the boot in now that it won't generate bad vibes for the self-confessed Best League in the World™.

Because people in the UK media and UK pundits have been tight-lipped up until now?

Or just an excuse to throw some insults at England?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Because people in the UK media and UK pundits have been tight-lipped up until now?

Or just an excuse to throw some insults at England?

Not tight-lipped, but too deferential and respectful, which is symptomatic of UK punditry in general.

And no, I don't tend to insult the English. You shouldn't assume everyone on an Irish forum was born and reared in Ireland.

Edit: Slight correction - I'm talking about the broadcast media. I've no problem with the print media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

So who can be in charge, should it be somebody who has been involved in football like figo etc or more of a business type person.

Who was prince Ali?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

gosplan wrote: »
    It actually has to be bottom up.

The issue with Blatter was that he was giving FIFA money to tiny countries who had just as much say in picking the president as, say, England or France.

These guys may not have been on the take but if you live in say, St Kitts, and have a nice permanent well paid job as the head of SKFA, then the status quo looks pretty good.

Not sure how you'd change all that without giving too much power to the big countries.

Can't see the 1 nation 1 vote changing nor do I think it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

JamboMac wrote: »
    So who can be in charge, should it be somebody who has been involved in football like figo etc or more of a business type person.

Who was prince Ali?

Michael van Praag was a candidate as well but pulled out in favour of Prince Ali as he realised that a 3 men race would never get Blatter defeated.

He is a former Ajax president and despite being a Feyenoord fan, i never could really dislike him.
    He would be a good president i reckon but if he can clean up entire FIFA i highly doubt.
    Dont think anyone can tbh.

It is probably fair that every member has the same power as it comes to voting but it also has lead to Mickey Mouse FA's keeping a muppet like Blatter in charge for so long because they were well rewarded for it.
    And who can really blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Surprise surprise looks like Blatter is being investigated by the FBI http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-announces-resignation/story?id=31473282
    The FA Chairman Greg Dyke tells BBC News “If I was in Qatar today I wouldn’t be feeling very confident” #FIFA #Blatter

— Daniel Sandford (@BBCDanielS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Unfortunately this will change very little IMO despite being good news for football.

Phillipe Auclair and Tim Vickery were right on Newstalk this evening when they said that they're all just as bad as each other and there is no one within UEFA (or any federation) that is capable/safe enough to take the helm. Platini, of course, voted for Qatar in 2022 so he's proven that he can't be trusted. He voted with his pocket as much as anyone else. So to see him attempt to take the moral high ground against Blatter was merely just political jostling and moving himself away from the trouble.

David Gill would be the man I would prefer to take the reigns but unless the heads of FIFA see some real jail time and sanctions, I'm still pessimistic.

Also, if Sepp knows anything about problems down the line - he'll be on the first plane to Russia to avoid extradition.One of their politicians has already come out and said that a man of his experience would be badly needed in their preparations for the WC.

But that leads me to think it's unlikely that there is anything coming down the line because he's going to stick around until the EGM. He's only left today because of the pathetic nature of the letter that came out today and the fact they have been caught lying not once, but twice.

From our point of view, I'd like for the FAI and Delaney to say straight out that they will boycott both WC's unless there is a full and transparent re-vote given the recent developments. As it is right now, I really have little interest in watching either WC with the likes of Vladimir Putin being saluted above in the stands. No leader is without faults but some are simply odious. Although given that they were clearly bought before - whats to stop them being bought again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I think Sepp Blatter is coming to Ireland to help Fine Gael and Dinny O Brien look good ! ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The next election will be full of corruption and people maneuvering for positions like has happened long before Blatter ever walked in the door of FIFA back in the 70's.

I dont see why anyone from England should be considered the bastion of ethics and fair play etc tbh. Everything they have done since losing their bid in relation to attacking FIFA has been for their own agenda moreso than the good of the game.

What Wolfgang Niersbach said today was spot on.

The funny thing is if Qatar never got the World Cup the the FBI never would have investigated as the U.S. Would have got the World Cup.

So it's only thanks to sour grapes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The funny thing is if Qatar never got the World Cup the the FBI never would have investigated as the U.S. Would have got the World Cup.

The Bank Of America/Swiss banks scandal brought this and other money laundering to light. I think the World cup helped but it was coming anyway.

• Advertisement

The bosses at Fifa have been corrupt for a very long time.

So why now do the FBI ride into town.

Is it because the Russians invaded Ukraine and not very popular in America !

Has Qatar been financing ISIS and therefore not very popular in America !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Unfortunately this will change very little IMO despite being good news for football.

Phillipe Auclair and Tim Vickery were right on Newstalk this evening when they said that they're all just as bad as each other and there is no one within UEFA (or any federation) that is capable/safe enough to take the helm. Platini, of course, voted for Qatar in 2022 so he's proven that he can't be trusted. He voted with his pocket as much as anyone else. So to see him attempt to take the moral high ground against Blatter was merely just political jostling and moving himself away from the trouble.

David Gill would be the man I would prefer to take the reigns but unless the heads of FIFA see some real jail time and sanctions, I'm still pessimistic.

Also, if Sepp knows anything about problems down the line - he'll be on the first plane to Russia to avoid extradition.One of their politicians has already come out and said that a man of his experience would be badly needed in their preparations for the WC.

But that leads me to think it's unlikely that there is anything coming down the line because he's going to stick around until the EGM. He's only left today because of the pathetic nature of the letter that came out today and the fact they have been caught lying not once, but twice.

From our point of view, I'd like for the FAI and Delaney to say straight out that they will boycott both WC's unless there is a full and transparent re-vote given the recent developments. As it is right now, I really have little interest in watching either WC with the likes of Vladimir Putin being saluted above in the stands. No leader is without faults but some are simply odious. Although given that they were clearly bought before - whats to stop them being bought again?

The biggest thing I'm taking from this is I hope they get scared now. I know all the corrupt won't be exposed but hopefully after this most become nervous they will be caught and not try as much corruption.

The key is getting someone in charge who is a decent and honest individual, a tough task but I agree David Gill would be great. I'm just hoping with the head struck off hopefully the body will die, its optimistic of course but considering how awful fifa is any little change is welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

blinding wrote: »

If you read up on it you'll see that it's because money was sent through US bank accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

5b7c32a0cb8bd7eeb24f57d9bce6fa43.png

Bye bye!

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    If you read up on it you'll see that it's because money was sent through US bank accounts.
    Maybe money has been sent through US bank accounts before.

I am delighted but its worth asking Why Now ?

FIFA is corrupt, but would it not be easier if each of the likes of uefa concacaf and so on cleaned their own houses. As I'm sure the corruption in Africa Asia and South America are probably the worst and the reason why sepp got back in, in the first place.

I know bigger money would involved in FIFA, but you have to wonder when African nations are corrupt how bad their football associations have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

inforfun wrote: »
    5b7c32a0cb8bd7eeb24f57d9bce6fa43.png

Bye bye!

And good fecking riddance Sepp

Adamocovic wrote: »
    The key is getting someone in charge who is a decent and honest individual, a tough task but I agree David Gill would be great. I'm just hoping with the head struck off hopefully the body will die, its optimistic of course but considering how awful fifa is any little change is welcomed.

Going to be extremely hard to get this kind of person in. Reason being that a non-corrupt official who wants to change the game will have to go to these corrupt heads of FA to secure votes and thus offer them certain assurances and such - i.e. maintaining 1 vote per country, maintaining same monetary divides.

It won't be that easy for that person to try and fake these assurances and get elected because everyone will know their standpoints and beliefs before they get put forward.

It's not ideal, but the best avenue for reform is for UEFA to pull out of FIFA competitions. When the sponsorship money dries up then the other federations will soon be begging for their return and reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Rugby union has a phenomenal opportunity to bring aboard a man with 2 decades of experience at the highest level of the biggest sport this side of Junior B hurling. Hope they take advantage of this miraculous stroke of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He'll be neighbours with Snowden soon enough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You think the FBI and a US federal attorney base their decisions on investigating crimes on a minority sport that most Americans couldn't give a toss about? That just doesn't wash with me whatsoever. This is clearly based on more than the Qatar World Cup.

You think the FBI and a US federal attorney base their decisions on investigating crimes on a minority sport that most Americans couldn't give a toss about? That just doesn't wash with me whatsoever. This is clearly based on more than the Qatar World Cup.

That decision cost America 5 billion, so who cares if they don't like the sport, they love money and being the centre of attention and this will take away from corruption in American sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Going to be extremely hard to get this kind of person in. Reason being that a non-corrupt official who wants to change the game will have to go to these corrupt heads of FA to secure votes and thus offer them certain assurances and such - i.e. maintaining 1 vote per country, maintaining same monetary divides.

It won't be that easy for that person to try and fake these assurances and get elected because everyone will know their standpoints and beliefs before they get put forward.

It's not ideal, but the best avenue for reform is for UEFA to pull out of FIFA competitions. When the sponsorship money dries up then the other federations will soon be begging for their return and reform.

Flawed ideology on so many levels

UEFA will not leave FIFA, any realistic attempt would most likely fracture UEFA as a result. The ****e the english media have been saying in recent days in terms of threats is hyperbole.

Money will not dry up in the other confederations, everyone (including UEFA) will just earn less.

Parallel Organizations running Football would be the death knell of the sport in the long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

B-day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

That decision cost America 5 billion, so who cares if they don't like the sport, they love money and being the centre of attention and this will take away from corruption in American sports.

You should probably read up on things for even a nanosecond..... It will enlighten you something fierce.

The USDOJ/FBI investigation does indeed pertain to US sports corruption.

Some of the several arrested last week were sports marketing execs indicted on charges of corruption pertaining to marketing rights for the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament that will be held in the US/Canada.

Christ, they had Chuck Blazer wear a wire to catch these people!

This has nothing to do with Russia/Qatar.

However the Swiss authorities are leading seperate investigations into that den of corruption, which will concurrently involve several jurisdictions where illicit funds were transfered.

• Advertisement

You should probably read up on things for even a nanosecond..... It will enlighten you something fierce.

The USDOJ/FBI investigation does indeed pertain to US sports corruption.

Some of the several arrested last week were sports marketing execs indicted on charges of corruption pertaining to marketing rights for the CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament that will be held in the US/Canada.

Christ, they had Chuck Blazer wear a wire to catch these people!

This has nothing to do with Russia/Qatar.

However the Swiss authorities are investigating that den of corruption.

I mean mean NFL and Baseball and so on, I know the information, so maybe ask a question if you don't understand when I say American sports.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No way did it cost the US 5 billion. Where are you getting that figure from - generally the hosting of major sporting events is a loss making exercise. Regardless, do you realise how little 5 billion is to the US? It wouldn't even come into consideration on something like this, they wouldn't even round to the nearest 5 billion in GDP figures. It's like 1/100th of 1%.

I mean mean NFL and Baseball

I'm a follower of both.

What do you think requires USDOJ/FBI investigations at the NFL?

You rail against the Feds not cleaning their own house.... but that's exactly what they are doing.

You reek of grinding axes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He'll be neighbours with Snowden soon enough

Yep, Blatter will be looking to make sure he is in a country with no extradition treaty with the US. All his energies are going to be focused on never coming into the grasp of the US legal system. I'd say large numbers of his backers amongst the football federations are also looking to ensure they never appear in the US court. Votes going to Blatter and money coming the other way might be entirely innocent, but the US investigation is likely to dig into it regardless if it ever cross a US border or bank account.

I'm a follower of both.

What do you think requires USDOJ/FBI investigations at the NFL?

You rail against the Feds not cleaning their own house.... but that's exactly what they are doing.

You reek of grinding axes

How would I be grinding an axe, I don't work for FIFA, I don't have an affiliation with any team. I'd love to see how I'm railing against the FBI in your head and I like to question things.

But hey if you love everything American and what they do fine, but timing is questionable.

• Advertisement

I like to question things.

You aren't though.

You are accusing of ulterior motive, with no basis, no proof & apparently zero knowledge of what the USDOJ investigation was even into.

In short, barstooling.

But hey if you love everything American and what they do fine, but timing is questionable.

So why didn't the US arrest people back in 2010 after the WCs were awarded to Russia and Qatar? Why wait 5 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

blinding wrote: »

It's irrelevant as to the why....can't you just be happy it's exposed FIFA for what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Your logic stinks. FIFA is one of the most corrupt organisations on the planet, and the FBI have been investigating them since before 2010. This has nothing to do with sour grapes.

Balco, Armstrong, and now FIFA. You have to give credit to US investigative organisations.

You aren't though.

I am questioning things, that's clear you are seeing everything your being told as gospel.

If they have been investigating for 20 years, so just 1 year after they hosted the World Cup, why do nothing prior to this?

I'm gonna leave my response their on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sand wrote: »
    So why didn't the US arrest people back in 2010 after the WCs were awarded to Russia and Qatar? Why wait 5 years?

You think they waited five years?

Is it not infinitely more plausible that they spent five years collecting evidence to ensure that there was proof of wrongdoing before taking action? As opposed to just waiting around?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Flawed ideology on so many levels

UEFA will not leave FIFA, any realistic attempt would most likely fracture UEFA as a result. The ****e the english media have been saying in recent days in terms of threats is hyperbole.

Money will not dry up in the other confederations, everyone (including UEFA) will just earn less.

Parallel Organizations running Football would be the death knell of the sport in the long term

Obviously it's a simplistic way of putting it but other than a seismic change such as that there is very little realistic chance of anything happening. The African, central American countries and Asian countries will rally behind the next Blatter-esque candidate who promises them continued funding which rarely makes it down to the grassroots in any country. Not that a Jordanian prince was any sort of ideal candidate either.

Not entirely sure UEFA would be fractured as such now that Blatter is gone, because that's what Spain and France for example would have disagreed on with most of the rest of UEFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sand wrote: »
    Yep, Blatter will be looking to make sure he is in a country with no extradition treaty with the US. All his energies are going to be focused on never coming into the grasp of the US legal system. I'd say large numbers of his backers amongst the football federations are also looking to ensure they never appear in the US court.

One of the US organisations investigating Blatter is the Internal Revenue Service. The Tax Collectors. An organisation whose mention strikes the fear of god into all americans.

They are an incorruptible amoral group of accountants with legal authority and global reach. Truly scary.

Its extremely common for organized crime to end up being jailed for tax evasion. Its all about the money.

You think they waited five years?

Is it not infinitely more plausible that they spent five years collecting evidence to ensure that there was proof of wrongdoing before taking action? As opposed to just waiting around?

Read what I replied to.

Read what I said.

There's nothing plausible about any scenario or timeline regarding recent events that begins with U.S. Soccer sulking about missing out on a world cup and plotting revenge via the FBI on Blatter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Thing is the organisation was corrupt well before Blatter. I was listening to David Goldblatt on RTE Prime Time a few days back explaining how the dodgy dealings go back several decades.

While I welcome the departure of Blatter, FIFA has a hell of a long way to go before it can be trusted. I'm not sure there will be a genuine will to change. The fact that Blatter got re-elected shows that they are corrupt from top to bottom.

I don't know how it can be cleaned up without some sort of sweeping external effort.

Blatter going makes no real difference at all to corruption. The recent indictments go back to before he was in charge.

CONMEBOL and CONCACAF appear the troublesome issue from the recent indictments and TV deals with them. Who is going to replace those representatives in those organisations and who is going to be on the executive committee where the indictments have left vacancies? None of it has much to do with Blatter.

As I said last week, African and Asian votes are going to be still open to the highest bidder and they shouldn't be criticised for that either. The highest bidder could promise anything...

• Advertisement
Advertisement