Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fifa Superthread; Corruption, Arrests and Sepp Blatter's Resignation!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

5starpool wrote: »
    Poor old Jack Warner left prison in an ambulance yesterday. Here is a photo of him from the Guardian liveblog recovering in an appropriate way less than 24 hours later, the poor fella.

The see you next tuesday has pulled the racism card already too: Why are there only people for 3rd world countries being targetted?
    jmayo wrote: »
    How friendly are the Jordanian and Qatari regimes ?

Not sure. If reports are to be believed, Qatari money is going to IS while the Jordanian king himself has made flights and threw bombs on IS

that's not bribery, that's giving money to it's owners imo.

Lets call it an incentive....
    I know it is not bribery as such as the money will go to the FA's. How much then will "disappear" is not FIFA's wrongdoing i suppose.

Votes each confederation has:

Europa (UEFA, 53
    Oceanië (OFC, 11
    Noord-Amerika (CONCACAF, 35

Afrika (CAF, 54
    Azië (AFC, 46
    Zuid-Amerika (CONMEBOL, 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

so, finally the real reason why Dear Leader is voting for Ali.

Next item on the agende after the break:

Palestina asking FIFA to remove Israel as a member.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Players union now looking at the 9 game ban Suarez got and looking to get it over turned as one of the arrested officials was on the disciplinary committee.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32926042

Players union now looking at the 9 game ban Suarez got and looking to get it over turned as one of the arrested officials was on the disciplinary committee.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32926042

the ban for when he fell into Chiellini?

Are the players Union trying to say that the ban was down to corruption? that's fúcking laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cant see much coming from it
    "We have no proof that this [sanction] was made within the framework of illegal actions but nothing guarantees us that it wasn't."

Jesus, could they not pick a less cut and dried case as a test case? Amateur hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jesus, could they not pick a less cut and dried case as a test case? Amateur hour.

Its all based on conjucture, waste of time but it will get a few clicks on some websites I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

inforfun wrote: »
    The see you next tuesday has pulled the racism card already too: Why are there only people for 3rd world countries being targetted?

He is one slimeball.

Not sure. If reports are to be believed, Qatari money is going to IS while the Jordanian king himself has made flights and threw bombs on IS

It is gas how Qatar come out relatively ok in international terms even though they have been linked to all sorts, yet Iran are the worlds worst.

Actually Iran would have more rights to a world cup than Qatar.
    Lets call it an incentive....
    I know it is not bribery as such as the money will go to the FA's. How much then will "disappear" is not FIFA's wrongdoing i suppose.

Votes each confederation has:

Europa (UEFA, 53

Lot of small Eastern Europe/Asian countries that would have corruption as normal.
    Some Western ones too.
    Oceanië (OFC, 11

We all know how one of their representatives fought a legal challenge to being removed just so that he could vote for Qatar, I think screwing Aus along the way.
    Out of 11 the only countries probably not in someones pocket is Aus and NZ.
    Funny they are only ones with a hope in hell of getting to a tournament.
    Noord-Amerika (CONCACAF, 35

Again that includes the Caribbean and the likes of mr warner's Trinidad and Tobago does it not.
    Afrika (CAF, 54

Total waste, they would probably sell their mother for a swiss watch.
    Funny I think they got some of those in gift bags from Qatar. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Its all based on conjucture, waste of time but it will get a few clicks on some websites I'd imagine.

I think it's called chancing your arm (or is it biting someone else's shoulder?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Zurich Police: "We can confirm the receipt of a bomb threat" at FIFA Congress venue Reporters on site say they've heard nothing.

And we have a bomb threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Nothing to see here folks.

jmayo wrote: »
    It is gas how Qatar come out relatively ok in international terms even though they have been linked to all sorts, yet Iran are the worlds worst.

Actually Iran would have more rights to a world cup than Qatar.

Lot of small Eastern Europe/Asian countries that would have corruption as normal.
    Some Western ones too.

We all know how one of their representatives fought a legal challenge to being removed just so that he could vote for Qatar, I think screwing Aus along the way.
    Out of 11 the only countries probably not in someones pocket is Aus and NZ.
    Funny they are only ones with a hope in hell of getting to a tournament.

Again that includes the Caribbean and the likes of mr warner's Trinidad and Tobago does it not.

Total waste, they would probably sell their mother for a swiss watch.
    Funny I think they got some of those in gift bags from Qatar. :rolleyes:

Michael van Praag, who was also running but pulled out, mentioned he was hoping 60 other nations would vote with 45 confirmed Prince voters from UEFA members/

8 non Europeans seem to be confirmed as voting against Blatter: United States, Canada, Australië, Nieuw-Zeeland, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Panama.

Australia is member of the AFC nowadays btw, not Oceania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Fahkin' hell, it's all going off now. President of the Congolese FA and Fifa executive committee member, Constant Omari, from earlier today:

"Germany bought the vote of Oceania, illegally, to earn the organization of the 2006 World Cup, but that’s not spoken about. When it’s Germany, nobody wants to speak about it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Fahkin' hell, it's all going off now. President of the Congolese FA and Fifa executive committee member, Constant Omari, from earlier today:

"Germany bought the vote of Oceania, illegally, to earn the organization of the 2006 World Cup, but that’s not spoken about. When it’s Germany, nobody wants to speak about it."

lol

Well, they probably did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Loosely translated into "sure we are all corrupt as f**k, why pick on quatar?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

There were actually 2 bomb threats, only one was officially declared, the other was pocketed by Sepp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd imagine the IRS have just started to look more closely at Constant's financial dealings over the past decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

"Now if you'll excuse me, I must get back to counting this brown bag of crisp US Dollars over here."

FYP.

Palestine have withdrawn their motion to have Israel suspended.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Vote coming up. Looks like UEFA and now South America voting against Blatter (though there are exceptions like Spain and Russia) with probably most Asian and African ones voting for him. It might go to a second round but he'll win I'm sure as expected. They should sack everyone in the room and start again imo.

• Advertisement

South America and Europe would have the commercial clout to go it alone and set up an alternative to FIFA if the will was truly there.

Where are the reports that South America is rebelling coming from?

It's only 11 votes though.

5starpool wrote: »
    Vote coming up. Looks like UEFA and now South America voting against Blatter (though there are exceptions like Spain and Russia) with probably most Asian and African ones voting for him. It might go to a second round but he'll win I'm sure as expected. They should sack everyone in the room and start again imo.

who should sack them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

So Jack Warner was released from jail and sent to the hospital for health issues.

A few hours later:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/29/jack-warner-dancing-fifa-scandal-exhaustion

who should sack them?

It wasn't a suggestion as obviously it's not going to happen, but there should be someting involving pitchforks, angry mobs carrying torches and spikes.

• Advertisement

Where are the reports that South America is rebelling coming from?

It's only 11 votes though.

From the Guardian at 14:43.
    Owen Gibson has got in touch from Zurich to report that Conmebol (the confederation for South America), presumably feeling abandoned by Blatter, looks to now be backing Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein, which would increase the chances of the vote going to a second round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

would the chap just no resign and take his pension, christ almighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Blatter has it. Had 60 odd votes more than Ali in the first round, but was 7 short of 3/4 majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Oat23 wrote: »
    Blatter has it. Had 60 odd votes more than Ali in the first round, but was 7 short of 3/4 majority.

Why will that mean he has had it?
    Sorry, I am not following the voting too closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I believe it's almost time for the sh!t to hit the proverbial fan and for us to get answers to all those what will happen / x, y & z do if Blatter is re-elected questions.

edit: why does he have it? cos the 2nd round of voting is stupid tbh , nobody will change their vote (or at least not more than is needed to affect the outcome... which is over 30 blatter votes needed to change to the prince) and now a simple majority will do it

so all hail President for Life Blatter!

I have an image of Nixon being re-elected in futurama except with Blatter in my head now... apt too Nixons quote about ihow it's not illegal when the president does it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

ronjo wrote: »
    Why will that mean he has had it?
    Sorry, I am not following the voting too closely.

The second round of voting, Blatter just needs a majority.
    He had 133 votes to Ali's 73 in the first round.
    He needed 140 to be elected in the first round.

No way enough people are going to flip all of a sudden and vote for Ali.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Why does he keep getting votes? Surely everyone can see how ****in corrupt he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ronjo

Oat23 wrote: »
    The second round of voting, Blatter just needs a majority.
    He had 133 votes to Ali's 73 in the first round.
    He needed 140 to be elected in the first round.

No way enough people are going to flip all of a sudden and vote for Ali.

Sorry I totally misread.

I thought you wrote HAS HAD it and thats why I couldnt understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

****in hell those Palestineans attention seeking with their anti-Israel ****e. ****ing hell just piss off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

amazes me how he gets voted in each time !!

syngindub wrote: »
    amazes me how he gets voted in each time !!

It just doesn't make sense. Football will never move forward while he is in charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why does he keep getting votes? Surely everyone can see how ****in corrupt he is.

You don't think it's related; the corruption benefits the likes of Africa (who represent 1/4 of the votes) and the ilk who benefit from that will vote for him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That's how corruption works

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It just doesn't make sense. Football will never move forward while he is in charge.

It's actually pretty simple.

He allocates massive funding to small countries that still have a vote in the Asian and African federations, and basically secures his re-election every term.

He has never got on with UEFA or Europe, but the African and Asian confederations are easily swayed with funding, and he gets the votes he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Prince Ali withdraws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Benimar wrote: »
    Prince Ali withdraws.

Looks like David gill will be resigning tonight then.

Benimar wrote: »
    Prince Ali withdraws.

We have a winnnnnerrrrrr!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yay, 4 more years of that arsehole

• Advertisement

But what I mean was surely he has to answer to someone, hopefully all this news over the last week is the end of him.

Advertisement