Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fifa Superthread; Corruption, Arrests and Sepp Blatter's Resignation!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a fcuking joke of an organisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Disgraceful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Crooked to the core.

Don't suppose there's any chance that UEFA could withdraw from this joke of an organisation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

'Twas never going to be any different tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well that was highly unexpected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Thanks Asia and Africa, top lads.

Time for UEFA to pull out of FIFA and go at it alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Christ above did you hear him......Scum of the highest order

Long Live Sepp.

Holy fcuk, what a poisonous shambolic organisation fifa are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Take a bow Sepp. Well done, well deserved, did not see this coming

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is anyone actually surprised?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Wonder why the Prince formerly known as candidate pull out?

What harm a 2nd ballot?

Perhaps he got word that most of his 73 votes were going to switch to the Rat King in round 2?

let the argument commence how uefa goes this alone.
    Africa might have the voting power but uefa is cash king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Not in the slightest still a fcuking joke tho turned of his acceptance speech grrr

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wonder why the Prince formerly known as candidate pull out?

What harm a 2nd ballot?

Perhaps he got word that most of his 73 votes were going to switch to the Rat King in round 2?

Nah, would say he knew there wasn't going to be a swing at all; would imagine the voting would have been near identical so has decided whats the point.

Not shocked at all. Be interesting to see what happens next though; really hope UEFA, USA et al pull out. Just turn the Euros into their own version of the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Money talks, Blatter gets another 4 years as President

sjb25 wrote: »
    Not in the slightest still a fcuking joke tho turned of his acceptance speech grrr

how long of a term does he get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Don Corleone hasn't a patch on old Sepp.

syngindub wrote: »
    how long of a term does he get?

4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No surprise, would love if UEFA pulled out and said that any player who wishes to play in Europe can't play in FIFA competitions. Good luck to those small **** countries then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I still just find it unbelievable mind boggling how this man talks about clearing up this mess of an organisation,despite him being the top man for ****ing over 15 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What the FBI need is to get hold of Blatter's blackmail book( May not be actual book) that is the only way to end this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just want to distance myself from the detractors and congratulate Sepp on both his victory today and his all round dick swinging over the past decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Shock horror .... bunch of corrupt rats elect another corrupt rat to lead the corrupt rats on their corrupt agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well David Gill won't be taking on the role on Vice President after the news that Blatter has 4 more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

OK hands up all here who are going to boycott Republic of Ireland games in protest against FIFA ?

Just want to distance myself from the detractors and congratulate Sepp on both his victory today and his all round dick swinging over the past decades.
    here here, he's a lovely man

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As said, was always gonna happen. All we can hope is either UEFA actually does something about it or Sepp gets taken down by the feds. The latter seems a lot more likely.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Paddy Power ‏@paddypower 6m6 minutes ago
    Prince Ali pulls out. If only Blatter's Dad had done the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

As said, was always gonna happen. All we can hope is either UEFA actually does something about it or Sepp gets taken down by the feds. The latter seems a lot more likely.

Yep, I don't think he'll last a full term. One of the arrested will squeal and Sepp will resign to take the heat off, citing "health problems."

Yep, I don't think he'll last a full term. One of the arrested will squeal and Sepp will resign to take the heat off, citing "health problems."
    yeah, that's likely alright. he is 79 all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hopefully the old coffin dodger won't make it to the end of his term.

I just don't get why UEFA and the Americas don't go it alone. Be great if they showed some balls.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Paddy Power ‏@paddypower 6m6 minutes ago
    Prince Ali pulls out. If only Blatter's Dad had done the same.

Boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just organise a Euro/American championship if the South Americans come on board.

Let the rest do their own version of whatever they want to call it championships.

ACN and AFC championships are always brilliant tournaments after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I just don't get why UEFA and the Americas don't go it alone. Be great if they showed some balls.

It would be very costly for them.

I would love to see an alternative & competing governing body.

But I think a breakaway association will get lonely after a while with just the US & some of Europe.

Meanwhile many in the Asia/African/S America confederations will love their new found dominance.

It will be seen as another "the west vs the rest" divide.

I don't think there is any real chance of a split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Today's vote is a clear statement that there is no intention of change at FIFA.

Let's see if VISA are as good as their word. I won't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

The problem with Prince Ali was that he was not a credible candidate to take Blatter on. Someone like David Gill should have taken Blatter on.

What makes people think that UEFA are squeaky clean ?

Even though the developing world is more susceptible to to corruption for economic reasons, we westerners ourselves are no angles.

It was even mentioned here in the last few days ll the connections between Qatar, France and Platini.

And if you ate looking at a Americas Europe go it alone idea, South and Central America are hardly bastions of high morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Boom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

OK hands up all here who are going to boycott Republic of Ireland games in protest against FIFA ?

If you wanted to start a gŕassroots campaign, the most effective thing to do would be to organise a large scale boycott of anyone who sponsors a FIFA competition, rather than the competition itself.

Sponsors would be quick to pull the plug if sponsorship began having the opposite effect to the one intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

UAESAFA has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It would be very costly for them.

I would love to see an alternative & competing governing body.

But I think a breakaway association will get lonely after a while with just the US & some of Europe.

It will be seen as another "the west vs the rest" divide.

Meanwhile many in the Asia/African/S America confederations will love their new found dominance.

I don't think there is any real chance of a split.

Good luck to any tournament if England, Germany etc said that any player wanting to play in their leagues, couldn't be FIFA registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It was even mentioned here in the last few days ll the connections between Qatar, France and Platini.

Yeah this is my concern. Platini is starting to look like the great white knight come to save football from the evil Sepp Blatter but Blatter didn't vote for Qatar. It was Platini who was front and centre of that bid, politiking for whatever reason for the tournament to go to objectively the least impressive applicant country.

The hypocrisy makes me sick.

That said today is the first day that I have actually felt that something is going to come of all of this. I really think a boycott is on the cards. David Dein is 100% right to say that England can't and won't do it alone but there's enough momentum now that a Germany, Italy, America and one or two of the large South American nations may follow suit. And hopefully Ireland will be there on the side of right as well.

I don't see a Uefa withdrawl as being likely, at least not for 2018 what with that going to Russia.

If you wanted to start a gŕassroots campaign, the most effective thing to do would be to organise a large scale boycott of anyone who sponsors a FIFA competition, rather than the competition itself.

Sponsors would be quick to pull the plug if sponsorship began having the opposite effect to the one intended.

Boycotting sponsors would be good but it's easier to get people to stay away from 6 home matches a year than to get them to stay away from products produced by the Coca Cola Corporation 365 days a year.

Attendances are not great right now but if they dropped into the low single thousands that would be huge.
    Replicate it across Europe and the sponsors will soon know about it too.

I still think the person who ran against him was a weak candidate. Someone like David gill might have been a better choice to go for presidency of FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

FIFA needs to be disbanded now.

It only serves greedy money hungry fat cats who have no interest in the game.

You will never see Blatter go near the USA because hes wanted by the FBI if he had nothing to hide he should be helping the FBI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

mikeym wrote: »
    You will never see Blatter go near the USA because hes wanted by the FBI if he had nothing to hide he should be helping the FBI.

Do you honestly think Blatter would be so careless as to leave himself open to investigation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aidric wrote: »
    Do you honestly think Blatter would be so careless as to leave himself open to investigation?

Indeed, as they were talking about on Second Captains, he makes so much money "legitimately" from Fifa, and charges so much to expense accounts, that he has no need to do anything actively corrupt himself. He just allows other people to be corrupt below him, and stays in power as a result, leading a 'free-for-all' regime.

Aidric wrote: »

I would imagine could one of both he knows what's going on and is on it or he just turns a complete blind eye to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement