Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US travel after arrest in philipines

Options
  • 27-05-2015 7:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I am due to travel to the US next month and planned to do so on the VWP. I have done this as recently as March. However I have recently had an incident in Manila were some local security and cops tried to shake me down for money.

In the end I pleaded guilty to Public Urination just so I could get out of there. I did not do this but they dropped the other complaints they were trying to accuse me of when I had tried to make my own complaints and at that stage I really wanted out of the place.

I am living in China at the moment and am due to travel to the US from here. I have been trying to find out if this will prevent me from entering on the VWP but have not been able to find a definitive answer.

Does anyone have any experience of this. Would it be better to apply for a visa in China before I go. Are the chances good I can still get in on the VWP or on a visa from here?

Any information is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My understanding is that you can still travel under ESTA and do not need to update it, if the public urination is the ONLY conviction; only if there was a conviction under moral turpitude or drugs would you need to request a tourist visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

silja wrote: »
    My understanding is that you can still travel under ESTA and do not need to update it, if the public urination is the ONLY conviction; only if there was a conviction under moral turpitude or drugs would you need to request a tourist visa.
    Thanks for the reply. There was also a lesser charge of vexation.

I dont believe either of these fall under moral turpitude but I am having trouble finding a definitive list or answer anywhere. At the time it was a pretty horrible experience and I just wanted to get out of there but now I am worried it will affect my ability to travel there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

moral turpitude is pretty broad, but public urination is not one. In the states this would probably be at worst a misdemeanor and at best...a ticket or an apology to a judge/community service and perhaps a small fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for the reply. There was also a lesser charge of vexation.

I dont believe either of these fall under moral turpitude but I am having trouble finding a definitive list or answer anywhere. At the time it was a pretty horrible experience and I just wanted to get out of there but now I am worried it will affect my ability to travel there

You'll be fine. Public urination is not a crime involving mortal turpitude. MT involves the serious stuff...armed robbery, manslaughter, drug related crimes etc etc

The US State Department have a MT listing here

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭knockoutned

moral turpitude is pretty broad, but public urination is not one. In the states this would probably be at worst a misdemeanor and at best...a ticket or an apology to a judge/community service and perhaps a small fine.

Just to be aware that public urination can get you on the sex offenders list in some states!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Just to be aware that public urination can get you on the sex offenders list in some states!
    Thanks. I will go ahead so though I wont be relaxed till i am through immigration.

I know thats a scary thought. Its worse that I didn't even commit the act but with a few pints in me that is what they tried to hit me with in order to get money off me.

It was certainly not one of my better travel experiences

Advertisement