Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delaney not voting for Blatter

• 27-05-2015 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Link - BBC
    Ireland will vote against Sepp Blatter in Friday's Fifa presidential election, says Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney.

Blatter, 79, is favourite to win a fifth four-year term after saying in 2011 he would step down.

"Regardless of the good he claims to have done during his tenure, he has to recognise that Fifa has an incredibly bad brand image," Delaney told BBC Sport.

"We won't be voting for him."

Now, this is a fairly bold step from Dear Leader, and if he wasn't cut from the very same cloth as Blatter himself this would probably be commended, but he's up to something here, I'd say.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And 6 officials from FIFA arrested in Zurich this morning !

Irish vote going to Jordan !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Interesting timing of the arrests - do we think these bribes relate the presidential election, or some World Cup voting shenanigans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Dickerty wrote: »
    Interesting timing of the arrests - do we think these bribes relate the presidential election, or some World Cup voting shenanigans?
    AND, not OR, gotta get those boolean operators right.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dickerty wrote: »

The investigation covers the period from the early 90s to date, so pretty much everything that took place under Blatter's watch is fair game by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Link - BBC

Now, this is a fairly bold step from Dear Leader, and if he wasn't cut from the very same cloth as Blatter himself this would probably be commended, but he's up to something here, I'd say.

I think your being a bit harsh on Delaney there.
    He does act the fool the odd time but he has none of the baggage that the likes of Blatter has.

And I think his voting against him is legitimate.
    He see what a bad name FIFA has got over the past few years and knows its time for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Am I the only one to think that it's an incredibly naïve and stupid thing to openly admit in press, especially when it is more than likely that Blatter will receive another term? Talk about alienating yourself from the world's governing body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

SantryRed wrote: »
    Am I the only one to think that it's an incredibly naïve and stupid thing to openly admit in press, especially when it is more than likely that Blatter will receive another term? Talk about alienating yourself from the world's governing body.

The executives of the aforementioned governing body are being arrested. Alienating yourself from them sounds like a great idea.

SantryRed wrote: »

Well the English and the Scots have already done the same, and maybe others.

Delaney is an easy target, so based on your post he's damned is does not vote for him and damned if he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think your being a bit harsh on Delaney there

lol

lol

Great retort, but I'm serious, Delaney is not Blatter.

• Advertisement

I never said he was, I said he is cut from the same cloth, and he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

That's like saying Margaret Thatcher wasn't Stalin.

We know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He appears to be aligning himself to the 'Home Nations'. Maybe he wants a crack at defending the Nations Cup thing they won

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just reading in the Indo that this is a US lead investigation. Random

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Pot, kettle and black, John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

godtabh wrote: »
    Just reading in the Indo that this is a US lead investigation. Random
    It's not random at all. Chuck Blazer is co-operating with the FBI in their investigation and that's the reason for the arrests by Swiss police at the request of the FBI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I think your being a bit harsh on Delaney there.
    He does act the fool the odd time but he has none of the baggage that the likes of Blatter has.

Really?? You should read up on his history if you really believe this.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Really?? You should read up on his history if you really believe this.

buys bags a cans and throws his tie around the place, shure he's sound out like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else think the timing of this is more than slightly suss? Less that 12 hours before the FIFA arrests, Delaney comes out against Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Good move by Delaney. Keep in with the neighbours and I wouldn't be surprised if other countries start to distance themselves from Blatter if something comes to light from these arrests.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Delaney is a smart man when it comes to looking after his own skin, he knows what he's doing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Anyone else think the timing of this is more than slightly suss? Less that 12 hours before the FIFA arrests, Delaney comes out against Blatter.

Delaney said this yesterday. Not today.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Delaney said this yesterday. Not today.

yeah, 12 hours BEFORE the arrests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Standard political maneuvering, clearly he picked up on something on the grapevine and is covering his backside. For other examples, see the mass exodus of government ministers prior to the 2011 election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Delaney is a smart man when it comes to looking after his own skin, he knows what he's doing.
    yeah, 12 hours BEFORE the arrests.

Whoops, was still in sleep mode! Sorry SN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Is this the beginning of the end for the Qatar 2022 WC?

In my opinion it has to be. Looking at temperature spikes in india at the moment temperatures could be even higher at the time than current projections. Any sniff of proof of bribery associated with the bid will probably bring the plan crashing down with Euro league clubs leading the charge.

Oh John, never change
    John delaney refused to reveal any details of the “arrangement” between the FAI and Fifa following Thierry Henry’s controversial handball.

“That is confidential for the moment"

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Delaney Land
    "The awards of World Cups are always covert and then there are independent reports that we don’t get to see. We’re told we’d get redacted versions and we don’t get those.

"There is always controversy around FIFA and it’s governance and the one person who has always been at the head of that is Sepp Blatter and he has to take some responsibility for that and that’s why I said yesterday that we wouldn’t be voting for him."

"He lives in a cocoon, he lives in the voting chambers and not in the real world."

I don't know how he keeps a straight face.

dixiefly wrote: »
    Is this the beginning of the end for the Qatar 2022 WC?

In my opinion it has to be. Looking at temperature spikes in india at the moment temperatures could be even higher at the time than current projections. Any sniff of proof of bribery associated with the bid will probably bring the plan crashing down with Euro league clubs leading the charge.

Contracts are signed. No going back now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement