Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax credit

Options
  • 27-05-2015 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

The other day, I popped in the Citizen Information's office in Dublin's O'Connell Street as I recently got married and wanted to update my PAYE status from single to married.
    I told the employee that my wife & I were each on circa 50k salaries and he told me that with the married tax status, each of us would see our tax credit swell from 1,650 euros to 3,300 euros and therefore each of us would pay less tax. I thought, nice. He gave me the form to update my status (12A).

I checked it later online, and it seems that the credit is shared rather than increased for each, which since we are both on the higher tax bracket, would make 0 difference to either of us.

Which is right?
    Are there any other implications of changing our tax status?

Thank you,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm sorry but that person hadn't a clue! If what he said was the case, a lot more people would be getting married!! Also he gave you the wrong form - a 12A is to register for tax credits. Incase you haven't already filled it out, the form you need is IT2 (you will find it on the revenue website). Still no harm to have updated on Revenue system as being married; should one of you lose your job or get a large pay cut, tax credits and bands can be transferred over handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Lesson there is if you've a tax query call in to the Revenue public office around the corner from the Citizen's Info one.

That guy clearly didn't have a clue what he was talking about and instead of waffling his way through it should have just told you to do that anyway!

Advertisement