Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callow loughs

Options
  • 27-05-2015 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering anyone know anything about this lough? Thinking of renting a boat, and giving it a go, especially know with the mayfly around, would it be worth it? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Had a day on it last year, plenty of small fish on wet flies and there was a fall of spent about 5pm so we picked up a few nice fish on dries. Lovely lakes to fish. Be careful going through the channel joining the lakes, turn off the engine and use the oars, lots of rocks there...

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Thanks zippy, just when your joining into the other lake its rocky? What should I use spents? And claret bumbles and that? Also should I be casting into the margins and bringing it back?

Thanks zippy, just when your joining into the other lake its rocky? What should I use spents? And claret bumbles and that? Also should I be casting into the margins and bringing it back?

Yeah, the channel between the two is shallow and rocky but otherwise the lakes are quite safe.
    Spent mayfly if there are fly going out onto the water, match the hatch otherwise. There's an article on the lakes in this month's Trout & Salmon magazine that mentions fly patterns. The water is quite clear and in the upper lake there are large weedbeds, I'd say buzzer fishing would work well there. There are some deep areas in the middle so fishing the shallows and margins is best alright.

Edit: Also saw large shoals of stickleback so I'm sure fry patterns would work well too, especially in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Great thanks Zzippy, Just one other thing, Would there be a good chance of hooking say a trout of pound and half? I'd say you'd get them at the evening to drys, or wet flys, Will try the stickleback immadations then thanks!

Great thanks Zzippy, Just one other thing, Would there be a good chance of hooking say a trout of pound and half? I'd say you'd get them at the evening to drys, or wet flys, Will try the stickleback immadations then thanks!

Think the biggest we had the time I fished it was just over a pound, but we saw some bigger fish rising and I think there are a good few fish to 2lbs+

• Advertisement
Advertisement