Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

Metal slug! ****in' golden game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

*also, what's the consensus on early access games? I'm looking at The Forest and Interstellar Marines.

I've only bought one Early Access (Dream) and I regretted it. I tried playing it once and it was completely unplayable at that stage. It's been in my library for 18 months and it still isn't finished. There's no guarantee that it ever will be (although it is updated every now and then).

To be honest, I didn't actually realise I was buying an EA at the time. Somehow I managed to miss all the notices when buying and I wouldn't have bought if I'd known because I'm just not the type of person to want to play an unfinished game.

It's up to you, but my personal feeling is that it's a big risk - there's no guarantee the game will ever be complete or that it will deliver all that it promises, but if you're interested in the development process or want to support a particular team or won't get frustrated by being what is essentially an unpaid tester then go for it!

My experience has biased me against EAs but that's not always the case - for example Prison Architect gets great praise here on Boards even though it's still in Early Access. So I would say read as much as you can before buying. See what people are giving out about on the discussion pages and see if you're willing to put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Bought Civ V Complete edition, is the extra DLC worth it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Definitely adds to the richness of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yes, plain and simple

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Screw it, I grabbed the Insurgency 4 pack, one for me and the other half, and one for the friend who bought The Evil Within for me. Yet to decide who to give the other one to. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Links234 wrote: »
    Screw it, I grabbed the Insurgency 4 pack, one for me and the other half, and one for the friend who bought The Evil Within for me. Yet to decide who to give the other one to. :o

The other half plays games with you! :o

No wonder you have so much time out into payday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Might actually draw first blood today with Mordor GotY upgrade. And maybe Alien Isolation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

75% off Transistor? Don't mind if I do!

The other half plays games with you! :o

No wonder you have so much time out into payday!

Ah she didn't quite take to Payday 2 like I did, and seemed to have a lot of issues with it too like random crashes. Now, Chivalry on the other hand, we regularly hacked each other to pieces for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'll buy it if you want to sell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I have told myself I'm not buying anything this steam sale.

So far... so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Get Evoland now! 2.49, a work of art.

Hold strong Agent J, hold strong ;)
    I'm kinda excited, but I'm not even sure if I'm going to buy anything.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Defo. Makes the game so much better!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Should I buy the standard payday 2 or the one with all the dlc? I'm also stuck on the evil within what to do what to do lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Vojera wrote: »
    I've only bought one Early Access (Dream) and I regretted it. I tried playing it once and it was completely unplayable at that stage. It's been in my library for 18 months and it still isn't finished. There's no guarantee that it ever will be (although it is updated every now and then).

To be honest, I didn't actually realise I was buying an EA at the time. Somehow I managed to miss all the notices when buying and I wouldn't have bought if I'd known because I'm just not the type of person to want to play an unfinished game.

It's up to you, but my personal feeling is that it's a big risk - there's no guarantee the game will ever be complete or that it will deliver all that it promises, but if you're interested in the development process or want to support a particular team or won't get frustrated by being what is essentially an unpaid tester then go for it!

My experience has biased me against EAs but that's not always the case - for example Prison Architect gets great praise here on Boards even though it's still in Early Access. So I would say read as much as you can before buying. See what people are giving out about on the discussion pages and see if you're willing to put up with that.

Thanks for that. I think i might leave them so. I was burned my Minimum so i'll wait. I'm patient anyway, if and when they're finished i'll see :)

I find myself looking at more older games than newer ones but it looks like Steam seems to be a dumping ground for older games that get little or no support for modern systems. Things like Eurofighter Typhoon or in particular the Freespace games seem to have huge trouble getting them on their feet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wait a mo? Is Payday on sale?

Early Access is not worth it imo. I got Kerbal on early access. Liked it then. Loved it. Really love it now. The thing is the game will change so much. I think it's best to just buy the finished product. Way more enjoyment that way - and you know the thing is finished. I'd love to have achieved orbit around Kerbin for the very first time with the aerodynamic effects that only were very recently added into the game.

I'll buy it if you want to sell it

I'm saving it for a friend, just gotta decide which one ;)
    Should I buy the standard payday 2 or the one with all the dlc?

Wait until it comes on a daily, then get the one with all the DLC. You're not really missing out on much content wise because you can still join DLC heists, you just can't host them, but some of the weapon packs are a lot of fun.

Now, Chivalry on the other hand, we regularly hacked each other to pieces for a while.
    True love <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Some early access games can be good, some can be bad... The Forest to me looks pretty good... I tried out Insurgency early access and it just wasn't for me, haven't touched it since... Might start playing again though... Also bought H1Z1 a week or 2 ago and to be fair it's more annoying than fun... Everyone just kills you, one dude I gave a weapon to ended up killing me with my own weapon (although that was pretty hilarious)... There also doesn't seem to be many zombies about at all... The reviews for The Forest are really good so maybe it would be a good purchase in Early Access... Some games even rise in price when the game is finished I believe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Links234 wrote:
    I have been after Transistor for a while, and that's a damn good price, but I still haven't gotten around to playing Bastion so I don't think I'm gonna go for it, at least not yet.

This is me. If it's on sale now, it'll be on sale again in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yes, they made a Defence Grid 2 and I never heard of it, mine now. Defence Grid 1 still one of my fav games of all time, everyone should have it by now with the amount of sales and bundles its been in...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221540/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Prison Architect worth it? I know it has been around for a few years now and I've always been tempted. Is it a game that you can put hours and hours into, or will you see everything that the game has to offer in a short amount of time?

Can't see it going cheaper than €4.19....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mr E wrote: »
    Prison Architect worth it? I know it has been around for a few years now and I've always been tempted. Is it a game that you can put hours and hours into, or will you see everything that the game has to offer in a short amount of time?

Can't see it going cheaper than €4.19....

The price is the one thing weighing on my mind. I have no intention of playing it until it's finished. If a finished build is released it will take quite some time for it to be as cheap as €4. Given the great rep the game has. It seems like a wise investment to buy it now. I still haven't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had to have the Vanishing of Ethan Carter at just over €6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Only game thats really caught my attention today is Endless Legend but i think ill wait. Not desperate to play it and may as well wait to pick it up cheaper sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm loving this....

Sold many game cards for 8-12 cent. So much so, I was able to pick up Wolfenstein for nothing!!

Also grabbed some Fallout DLC I never played.

More on my tempted hit list!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Speaking of DLC, what's it like for Alien: Isolation? A friend was asking, but I've no idea really.

• Advertisement

I played The Evil Within for about half an hour because it's time to walk the dog and go to bed shortly... But holy **** god damn :eek:

First impressions are, this game looks downright incredible! I'm liking the sneaky stealth aspect of it too, and so far it's quite tough. I died quite a few times in my brief stint, it's reminding me a bit of Dark Souls in that respect (another game I seriously need to play more of) and it's pretty seriously tense...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I finally got around to finishing the Witcher 2, after it languished in my sale bloated backlog for years. The buggy tutorial and poor enough prologue scuppered a few attempts at it. However it's a diamond in the rough. It's stupid cheap at the moment and if you're looking for something to fill the Games of Thrones hole in your life this is worthy.

Instantly picked up the third and I'm blown away by it. It's a remarkable achievement. Fair play to CDPR for the early discount too.

Yeah picked up the Witcher 2, may give it a bash, I'm hoping I like it as I hear it's awesome.

Only problem is I didn't like skyrim so I'm a bit weary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

First purchases! Witcher 2 and L4D2 for my brother. Also got gifted Orion:Prelude(?) from a friend...we tried to play it but it's absolute dire :pac: However, Witcher 2 is brilliant. Just hate the fact there's no jump button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I saved a bit so don't feel bad going a bit nuts.

Space Hulk Ascension
    Alien: Isolation
    Salt
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    Mount and Blade: Warband
    Child of Light
    This War of Mine
    Darkest Dungeon
    Tales from the Borderlands
    Defense Grid 2

Quite a few things there that were on the "if it happens" list. Only two I really wanted, Alien Isolation and Space Hulk. The rest were just "I should" purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm thinking about getting Borderlands The pre-sequel+ season pass. I have one question if someone could help me. What does the season pass mean, I know it is access to all DLC but do you get to keep everything forever or is it just a years subscription type of thing?

• Advertisement

I'm thinking about getting Borderlands The pre-sequel+ season pass. I have one question if someone could help me. What does the season pass mean, I know it is access to all DLC but do you get to keep everything forever or is it just a years subscription type of thing?

All DLC forever+ all future DLC for the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cool, I may as well pull the trigger so.

I'd love to see the reaction PC Gamers would have about Subscription based DLC :pac: There would be bloody murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I've bought quite a few old games in this sale. Are mods easy enough to use for them?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had a few games of Fractured Space there, and it's actually pretty good. Not a huge amount in it yet, but hopefully they can add more as it goes through Alpha/Beta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Got the legend of korra. Wasnt expecting much and was prepared to refund if needed but Im surprisingly enjoying it.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I've bought quite a few old games in this sale. Are mods easy enough to use for them?

Depends on the game, loads don't need any mods, most for older games would be graphical upgrades for the classic games, or the same ****e you've got on any average game. And then most games don't even have mods.

Installing mods is a matter of downloading it and copying a few files into a different folder for the most part

ye know what annoys me a fair bit about Steam? Why cant i buy merchandise from the funds in my steam wallet, i would be dropping drunk money every few weeks purely because its in my wallet. A missed sales opportunity??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'd love to see the reaction PC Gamers would have about Subscription based DLC :pac: There would be bloody murder

Subscription MMOs exist without bloody murder????

Just a note for anyone checking the front page from the mobile app - it doesn't seem to show the discounts that are earned via the mini-game. At least when I checked (on both Android and iOS) I was only seeing the main discounts, the flash sales and then my wishlist games. So you may be missing out (although the selection doesn't look that great tbh).

Hmm, some interesting stuff in the flash sale this morning.

I had wanted to check out Remember Me for ages, kinda wondering if I should bite the bullet on it even knowing I probably won't get around to it for ages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The only thing I have bought so far is the daedelic armageddon bundle, be strong...ok that is 11 games...and I got it for a friend too, they make great games.
    Interested in transistor, alien isolation, prison architect, h1z1, dont starve/together, the forest, the evil within... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Hope to pick up BF4 for 9.99 and AI for 12.50.

Hopefully still on sale by the time i get home :pac:

VinLieger wrote: »
    Subscription MMOs exist without bloody murder????

They're full games, subscription based DLC for a primarily single player game though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Hmm, some interesting stuff in the flash sale this morning.

I had wanted to check out Remember Me for ages, kinda wondering if I should bite the bullet on it even knowing I probably won't get around to it for ages.

I didn't particularly like it. The combat is interesting. You set up your combos without different attacks, with each attack having different effects, which you can tailor for different enemies but i found it got a bit dull and frustrating after a while as it just became a cycle of run into a group of enemies, beat them, go further along in the level, fight more enemies and so on.

I suppose the price of it now would be worth a punt if you thought you might like it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement