Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Links234 wrote: »
    Hmm, some interesting stuff in the flash sale this morning.

I had wanted to check out Remember Me for ages, kinda wondering if I should bite the bullet on it even knowing I probably won't get around to it for ages.

Its a bit crap in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, I've heard a few people say Remember Me wasn't that great, but other saying the story is excellent, and that's kinda what seems to grab me about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I played it for about an hour until something shinier distracted me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Alice: Madness Returns is worth a go at €2.19. The base price was kept artificially high on Steam by EA for a long time (it was €30 or €40 for ages after it went to a tenner on Origin). It's certainly got its issues - wildly swinging camera, for one - but if you enjoyed the first one then you can't go wrong for less than the price of a fancy coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Today seems decent, a lot of stuff I already have but Far Cry and Civilisation franchises on sale.

Also anyone see anything else good on sale? A lot of times they have good stuff but don't show on the sale main page, you end up having to search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hmm, some interesting stuff in the flash sale this morning.

I had wanted to check out Remember Me for ages, kinda wondering if I should bite the bullet on it even knowing I probably won't get around to it for ages.

At that price its just about worth it. Ive seen it cheaper that where I picked it up. A decent game with an excellent story, 7/10 at least in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Remember me is good, but not great. The combat is okay and the memory remixing is really great but only happens a few times. The Paris setting is also top notch but not very intractable, so there's always a bit of give and take. For me, it's certainly worth it at that price but obviously everyone is different. if you're interested, I'd suggest looking up a few reviews/lets plays first.

side note, according to Jim Sterling, Capcom very nearly didn't support this game because the protagonist was a mixed-race woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Also anyone see anything else good on sale? A lot of times they have good stuff but don't show on the sale main page, you end up having to search

The Reddit Hidden Gems Deal thread can be useful; http://redd.it/39gtgv
    Also, http://steamsales.rhekua.com/ can be handy as it sorts by discount.
    Click the Hide DLC to just show just games.

None are perfect so it's always worth checking your wish-list too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Only game thats really caught my attention today is Endless Legend but i think ill wait. Not desperate to play it and may as well wait to pick it up cheaper sometime.

I thought it was dreadful myself. Paid about €45 and played for about 1 hour.

• Advertisement

side note, according to Jim Sterling, Capcom very nearly didn't support this game because the protagonist was a mixed-race woman.

That actually wouldn't surprise me, didn't they have a lot of trouble finding a publisher for Life is Strange for similar reasons?

That actually wouldn't surprise me, didn't they have a lot of trouble finding a publisher for Life is Strange for similar reasons?

Plus the main character in remember me has a really nice arse:p:p

Glebee wrote: »
    Plus the main character in remember me has a really nice arse:p:p

Better than Raiden's arse in Metal Gear Rising? ;)

Hmm...

tumblr_n3y90ySTpT1sglimao1_500.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You NEED this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That looks pretty lol cherry :P
    We all know Meryl's ass is the best.
    Vojera wrote: »
    Alice: Madness Returns is worth a go at €2.19. The base price was kept artificially high on Steam by EA for a long time (it was €30 or €40 for ages after it went to a tenner on Origin). It's certainly got its issues - wildly swinging camera, for one - but if you enjoyed the first one then you can't go wrong for less than the price of a fancy coffee.

Played that in 3D and it was excellent!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd love to see the reaction PC Gamers would have about Subscription based DLC :pac: There would be bloody murder

You mean World of Warcraft? :D

Same as a service vs game as a product would be interesting. MMO's are the obvious choice for this sort of thing, but any of the "Annual" releases like the CODs and the EA Sports ones could do well out of "buy the basic engine and pay a monthly sub to keep the team rosters and map packs and whatever's appropriate up to date." Actually, weren't EA already doing something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You NEED this

I think you're on the wrong wavelength here. We're not looking for games we need. We looking for games we can get for a bargain that we won't ever play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Vojera wrote: »

I bought it on sale a while back, but was never able to play it, as the camera just swings round constantly, was unable to get that fixed or get to the bottom of it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Did you have a controller plugged in and being active? 9 times out of 10 when I have that sort of issue, this is the reason :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shiminay wrote: »
    You mean World of Warcraft? :D

Same as a service vs game as a product would be interesting. MMO's are the obvious choice for this sort of thing, but any of the "Annual" releases like the CODs and the EA Sports ones could do well out of "buy the basic engine and pay a monthly sub to keep the team rosters and map packs and whatever's appropriate up to date." Actually, weren't EA already doing something like this?

Yup, EA Access. For €25 a year you get access to a load of games, as of today Titanfall was added to the deal and Fifa 15 a few weeks ago. Only a matter of time before Dragon Age: Inquisition ends up in it too I'd imagine. Subscription service is the way forward imo, only a matter of time before they decide to put a game in there on launch.

€25 a year? Is that just for consoles or can we get that for PC's with Origin? I'm very very tempted. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Did you have a controller plugged in and being active? 9 times out of 10 when I have that sort of issue, this is the reason :)

Nope, tried that, even uninstalled the controller drivers and restarted. Nothing would seem to stop it!!!

Star Lord wrote: »
    I bought it on sale a while back, but was never able to play it, as the camera just swings round constantly, was unable to get that fixed or get to the bottom of it!

I had the same problem and I can't remember exactly but I've a feeling it was to do with the control pad alright. For the life of me I can't remember how I solved it. When it is solved there are still issues with the camera ending up stuck inside objects or moving as you're trying to do tricky platforming things, but it's still worth a play if you can get the spinning camera fixed.

Turtwig wrote: »
    €25 a year? Is that just for consoles or can we get that for PC's with Origin? I'm very very tempted. :)

Xbox One as far as I can see.

Glebee wrote: »
    Xbox One as far as I can see.

Bugger. :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtwig wrote: »
    Bugger. :(

Yeah only Xbox One at the moment strangely enough, would be shocked if they don't intend to branch out with it at some stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Somehow I am on level 3,045 or something on this clicking game... However my XP no longer increases and for some reason I have 6 card drops remaining but they won't even drop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Somehow I am on level 3,045 or something on this clicking game... However my XP no longer increases and for some reason I have 6 card drops remaining but they won't even drop...

Your xp on your profile badge? That only goes to 200xp max.

You can only get 3 card drops for the mini game per day afaik.

1 for joining a game each day. 1 for joining a friends game/new game and 1 for being there playing the game when during level 10 boss.

So reddit has led me to believe anyway.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Your xp on your profile badge? That only goes to 200xp max.

You can only get 3 card drops for the mini game per day afaik.

1 for joining a game each day. 1 for joining a friends game/new game and 1 for being there playing the game when during level 10 boss.

So reddit has led me to believe anyway.

Yeah too bad the XP doesn't increase, seems pointless even playing it now that thats the case...

Well when I click on badges it says 6 card drops remaining so surely I should be fit to get them?... So do I have to quit this game then and join another game to get a card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I cant even launch the mini game,keep getting the "There is a problem try later" prompt but never actually lets me into any game. Just aswell,mouse destroying game anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

EoinHef wrote: »
    I cant even launch the mini game,keep getting the "There is a problem try later" prompt but never actually lets me into any game. Just aswell,mouse destroying game anyway!

Just run a macro.... Two second job of you've a Logitech mouse. BTW... If people could stop nuking bosses that would be swell....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Is there any actual benefit to getting to a high level in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

What's better to do, sell all those cards for cheap or turn them into gems?

Is there any actual benefit to getting to a high level in the game?

Nope it appears not, you max out at 200XP bonus which is early enough... Then the only other change is your Badge changes to match the level you have achieved..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Cities: Skylines, yay or nay?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

yay

marko93 wrote: »

Yea. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

marko93 wrote: »

Yup

The Evil Within is even worse (or better?) than Dark Souls, I think it took me about an hour to get past the first monster, I must have been decapitated with a chainsaw about 20 or 30 times. It's very, very unforgiving. And possibly one of the most violent and gore soaked game I have ever seen, and I've seen some ****. :o

Was playing a bit of Valiant Hearts too, I'm kinda unsure what to think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just run a macro.... Two second job of you've a Logitech mouse. BTW... If people could stop nuking bosses that would be swell....

True,not that interested in it tbh i just find it odd i have not been able to get into the game since day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Some good deals today, I highly recommend Project Zomboid and also Xenonauts. Especially Xenonauts if you liked either the original UFO Enemy Unknown or the Latest XCOM and wan't to try something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

oh dishonoured. Is the DLC worth an extra 5 euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's supposed to be quite good. I've been thinking about this for a while, so I'm just going to pull the trigger on it!

Yes. The Knife of Dunwall, and The Brigmore Witches are story DLC. I've not completed them but they add a good bit more content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Bioshock franchise is fantastic value at 8.99 at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

big savings on the DCS world flight sims. I find them a bit sterile for WW2 planes but if you're into cold war/modern flight sims they're well worth picking up at these prices

• Advertisement

Yes played both Knife of Dunwall and the Brigmore Witches and really enjoyed them.

I've heard good things about Dvinity Original Sin. Is it worth getting at this price?

EoinHef wrote: »
    True,not that interested in it tbh i just find it odd i have not been able to get into the game since day one.
    I can only play it through my web browser, not the Steam client itself. Maybe try that?

Also, even though I'm not a big gamer and I'm still playing on a laptop (for shame!) I can tell how long it's been since I had a console by my face when I went "Dead or Alive 5 was €40 full price?!?!?!"

I'm slightly tempted by I Am Bread (the Let's Plays look ridiculous) and also by Gang Beasts because my sister played an early version of it at a games con in Blackpool and said it was fun, but I'm not convinced about Early Access.

For anyone who doesn't own it, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons has a fantastic story and it'll only take about three hours to finish so you don't need to worry about it clogging up your backlog. At only €1.49 it's a steal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Am torn between The Long Dark and Savage Lands. Anyone played either and give an idea how each of them play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Am torn between The Long Dark and Savage Lands. Anyone played either and give an idea how each of them play?

I have both and i'll try break them down as best as possible.

They are both very survival orientated and both games focus heavily on the cold weather being a major part of survival.

However The Long Dark is more detailed in it's survival mechanics and stuff like calories, temperature etc have to be managed as you scavenge the areas. It's crafting mechanics focus primarily on creating new/maintaining clothing, some medicine and cooking food. The Long Dark doesn't rely on combat as a major mechanic, it's merely just survival but you do have to defend yourself from hostile wilderness such as wolves.

Savage Lands has survival mechanics but it's more emphasis on PvE, there are monsters in the game world that come to attack you, particularly at night time (there are also dragons!). The crafting focuses more on weapons and armor with healing,food also thrown in. You can also craft buildings. Think of it like a survival based Skyrim game (but not as good as Skyrim). It also has online co-op.

Graphically and performance wise, The Long Dark looks stunning and it runs really well. Savage Lands world looks aesthetically pleasing but the models at the moment are quite poor and it runs like muck at times. The Long Dark developers are also very regular and transparent with their updates.

In short: If you want something primarily survival based, go with Long Dark. If PvE is something you're interested in, go with Savage Lands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement