Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Links234 wrote: »
    Giving serious consideration to grabbing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

If you've a PS4, it's free on that for PS+ members this month :P if you want to try it out beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads is Skyrim legendary edition worth it for 10 or should I just go for the standard game at 3.75?

The DLC adds some very excellent storylines, Dawnguard is fantastic, but I've not finished Dragonborn. I'd say get it.

If you've a PS4, it's free on that for PS+ members this month :P if you want to try it out beforehand
    Nope, I've no consoles at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads is Skyrim legendary edition worth it for 10 or should I just go for the standard game at 3.75?

Definitely get the DLC, it adds a lot to it and I haven't even done half of it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

And I've just passed the €200 barrier. :o

Oh and everyone really needs to give Euro Truck Sim 2 a shot. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Turtwig wrote: »
    And I've just passed the €200 barrier. :o

Oh and everyone really needs to give Euro Truck Sim 2 a shot. :)

I'm at 138 and I am feeling pretty OCD about it! Might stick a tenner onto my account next week and find something on a daily.

Euro Truck Sim 2 is a ton of fun to play. The best part about it is you can listen to real live radio stations from around Europe - fair class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Nothing particularly tempting today for me personally, but if you've not already got it, Banished is an absolute steal for that price so grab it. It's also not on the main page, but Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a hidden daily deal and going for €4.99 so well worth snapping up, it's gloriously fun.

Damn you I was doing so well. Been on my wishlist for ages but wouldn't have even noticed :D

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Damn you I was doing so well. Been on my wishlist for ages but wouldn't have even noticed :D

I seriously cannot recommend it enough, snap it up! ;)

Soundtrack is downright incredible too

**** it, MGSV: Ground Zeroes nabbed :D

• Advertisement

What type of game is Revengance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

What type of game is Revengance?

An awesome one! :pac:

It's developed by Platinum Games and is similar playstyle to Bayonetta, so very hack'n'slash combat heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Ugh, I've spent €58 so far.... thought I was at about half that. :o Still, all good games methinks. No filler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Display Fusion for €4.99 too.

It's a program for managing multi monitors for those who don't know.

I've been using pirated version for past 2 years. Might get it legit for once lol.

Only thing putting me off is Windows 10 is coming out in a month and display fusion might be redundant for me then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement

I bought Spelunky and played for about an hour there. Wtf. What is its appeal? Its terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I bought Spelunky and played for about an hour there. Wtf. What is its appeal? Its terrible
    Good thing you can refund! :DDDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Balls, elder scrolls online isnt included in the sale. Was hoping it would drop to 15-18 again but that was before it went for the GW2 style.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

dreamers75 wrote: »

Be wary of SourceForge, they're evil now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's deeper than it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

5uspect wrote: »

you could say it's cavernous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Nearly a week into the sale, and I'm only now noticing that the flash deals are available for 24 hours, and not 12. :o

Be wary of SourceForge, they're evil now.

How so? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Picked up Never Alone, my first real purchase of the sale (Orion: Prelude doesn't really count :pac:). It looks interesting and is also short, which is (depressingly) a real selling point for me these days.

Care to elaborate? Feels like I'm playing a flash game with clunky controls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anybody get stranded deep?

I'm interested and a mate has it but he's not entirely sold on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

As well as a haul of games my new laptop arrived today just in time to play them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Anybody get stranded deep?

I'm interested and a mate has it but he's not entirely sold on it.

I picked it up but got a refund for it.

For me, the crafting system was broke, couldnt craft tools or a fire. So I was basically stuck with a raft, a stick and a paddle.

A lot of people say it's a good game but it wouldn't work for me so I can't recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure if it's just me but the sale just doesn't seem to have the same kind of impact this year as it has in the past. The deals don't seem to be as good, many of daily deals max out at 30% off and only bring it inline to the price that you buy the keys elsewhere. Maybe it's down to the fact that I've got so much in the past but all I've bought this time around have been Wolfenstein, Ethan Carter and Insurgency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Stick with it, it's great. Although I personally think it's a game much more suited to a handheld like the Vita.

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    Picked up Never Alone, my first real purchase of the sale (Orion: Prelude doesn't really count :pac:). It looks interesting and is also short, which is (depressingly) a real selling point for me these days.

I don't think there's anything depressing about short being a selling point, here's why!

Some of the most downright incredible, memorable and enjoyable games I've played have been quite short. Portal for example took me 2 hours to finish over the space of a couple of days, and the sequel 7 hours, which although was a longer playtime was still pretty short compared to other games. However short they were, the Portal games remain amazing, immersive and seriously memorable games and they'll stick with me as a seriously positive experience. I've been singing the praises of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, but I've finished it (with some DLC left to do) in 12 hours. Tomb Raider I finished in 18 hours, Bioshock Infinite 14 hours (though I didn't play the Burial At Sea DLC yet) and Hotline Miami 5 hours. People complained that Dishonored was short, though according to Steam I've 43 hours in that one, so I can't personally say that one is short.

These are games that are utterly fantastic, have great gameplay and tell a great story. Some might say they do this in spite of boasting hundreds of hours of gameplay, I would actually say they do it because of their shorter playtimes. There are a lot of games that could be described as 'Wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle' and then there are games that while small, pack a lot of depth and detail into their worlds. Length doesn't equal quality. I used to play World of Warcraft, and although there was a lot I enjoyed about it like the raids, there was so much in that game that was just timesink after timesink and grinding after grinding, quests that were usually just some permutation of collect x number of item, kill x number of mobs, kill this special mob and bring back their head. There was some great gameplay mechanics, the endgame was wonderful, but the rest was just padding and timesinks.

So I certainly get why short can be a selling point, at least in terms of single player story driven games, multiplayer is a bit of a different beast.

Not sure if it's just me but the sale just doesn't seem to have the same kind of impact this year as it has in the past. The deals don't seem to be as good, many of daily deals max out at 30% off and only bring it inline to the price that you buy the keys elsewhere. Maybe it's down to the fact that I've got so much in the past but all I've bought this time around have been Wolfenstein, Ethan Carter and Insurgency.

Honestly, a lot of people tend to think that Steam sales aren't as good as they were, and that's mainly down to people having bought a lot of the games they want already. This is a fantastic sale, even if I've only bought a few things. I've actually bought more than I thought I would. You'll always remember the sale you had the biggest, most extravagant spurge on. 2013 I got €75 towards whatever I wanted on Steam as my birthday present from my sister and I went wild! I still have a few games from then that I've not played, so afterwards I slowed down when it came to sales.

The reality is, we're getting amazing deals, it's a really excellent sale. But Steam just has more competition now, so folks often pick up things elsewhere, the humble store and gog for example.

This was from 2011:

screen_shot_2011-06-30_at_12.35.39_pm.png

This was from 2012:

steamsale-550x492.jpg

This was from 2013:

steam-summer-sale-2013-day-11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Giving serious consideration to grabbing Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Was free on PS+ for the PS4 this month.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Was free on PS+ for the PS4 this month.

I know, but I don't have a PS4 and I already bought it ;)

This is my first steam sale in possibly four years. You have no idea how delighted I've been with it. Once it's done I'll list everything I got. :o

Also thinking pretty seriously about grabbing Devil May Cry. Hmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This is my first steam sale in possibly four years. You have no idea how delighted I've been with it. Once it's done I'll list everything I got. :o

Ah! €200 makes a lot of sense then. I'm around €120 but I'm "buying for two" after getting my son into PC gaming.

Now I'm really agonising over Pillars of Eternity, CoH II Ardennes and Planetary Annihilation... :/ I'm after talking myself out of Offworld Trading Company because it's Early Access so far ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

pool nation is an absolute steal at 99 cent seriously addictive any pool or snooker fan will love it.. buy it and ill school you all........

The list of shame so far. :o (I miscounted how much I'd spent, I was counting some games bought for the kid earlier in the month when I was thinking iin Steam wallet terms, I've spent around €80 so far)

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 -- Nostalgia
    Valkyria Chronicals -- Been eying this for ages
    Long Live the Queen -- This looks very interesting for a visual novel, not my thing usually.
    Cities: Skylines -- No need to justify. :P
    Tales of Maj'Eyal -- I hear it's a good roguelike
    Xenonauts -- I played a lot of XCOM when I was a kid
    Deathtrap -- Impulse
    Avernum 2 -- Impulse
    War for the Overworld -- I hear they've been fixing things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

nesf wrote: »
    The list of shame so far. :o (I miscounted how much I'd spent, I was counting some games bought for the kid earlier in the month when I was thinking iin Steam wallet terms, I've spent around €80 so far)

Heroes of Might and Magic 5 -- Nostalgia
    Valkyria Chronicals -- Been eying this for ages
    Long Live the Queen -- This looks very interesting for a visual novel, not my thing usually.
    Cities: Skylines -- No need to justify. :P
    Tales of Maj'Eyal -- I hear it's a good roguelike
    Xenonauts -- I played a lot of XCOM when I was a kid
    Deathtrap -- Impulse
    Avernum 2 -- Impulse
    War for the Overworld -- I hear they've been fixing things...
    wow i didnt get any of those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Spent like €100, too much :(

nesf wrote: »
    The list of shame so far. :o

*rings bell* Shame! :pac:

Actually, Deathtrap is one I had my eye on for a bit, it's from the same people who made The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing games, which had this tower defense mini-game that was absolutely fantastic. Deathtrap is an entire game built from that. Based on how fun the tower defense game was in Van Helsing, it should be great ;)

wow i didnt get any of those

A lot of them were hidden down in the special offers from that game thing they have people doing and in Flash sales. Easy to miss plus a lot of them are pretty niche or have been on sale before (Cities and VC).

*rings bell* Shame! :pac:

Actually, Deathtrap is one I had my eye on for a bit, it's from the same people who made The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing games, which had this tower defense mini-game that was absolutely fantastic. Deathtrap is an entire game built from that. Based on how fun the tower defense game was in Van Helsing, it should be great ;)

Yeah it looks fun and eh, I'm awfully addicted to tower defense games. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

I'm buying things not even in the sale just because I'm in the mood of buying. So far I've got:
    Terraria GOG
    Kerbal Space Programming Kinguin
    SimCity 4 GOG
    Don't Starve + Reign of Giants
    Metro Redux Bundle
    Civ V Complete
    Dishonored
    BioShock Triple Pack

The sale made me even forget I bought BioShock.

Well, my rather conservative list is:

Valkyria Chronicles
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    The Evil Within (This was gifted to me) + Season Pass (I bought this)
    Insurgency
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

I had bought Valiant Hearts, but after a lot of back and forth on it, decided to request a refund.

I'm really enjoying The Evil Within. Well, maybe enjoying is the wrong word, I think I'd best describe this as a 'Nope simulator' :pac:

tumblr_nfnwfmhPnk1rsdyyro1_500.gif

ffc.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

think I've spent €10 max so far...nothing really jumping out at me. Although I'll probably pick up Total War:Rome 2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

grabbed these for 60 quid

Skyrim legendary edition
    Fallout 3 GOTY
    Bioshock triple pack
    Dishonored
    Brothers-A tale of 2 sons

they were 50 when i assembled the list, but i procrastinated and ended up paying 60, still not bad, to buy on amazon would have set me back 105

also debating on getting GTA 5 over on the Playstation store for 25 quid,

for my gameplaying time i probably just purchased 4 years worth of games,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Ok lads buckle up.

Metro Redux
    Elder Scrolls 3, 4 and 5
    Portal 1 and 2
    L4D 1 and 2
    Stalker collection
    RealMyst
    Papers Please
    Prison architect
    Sherlock Holmes collection
    Thief collection
    Hitman collection
    System shock 2
    Xcom collection
    Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    Payday 2
    Dishonored
    Insurgency
    This war of mine
    Civ 5

All for the price of about two Ps4 games :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Arma 3 for 18 euro is the cheapest I have seen yet. Must have 200 hours in that game if not more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Arma 3 for 18 euro is the cheapest I have seen yet. Must have 200 hours in that game if not more.

Yeah it's a great price. Can't remember but think that maybe even cheaper than I paid for it in Alpha!

• Advertisement
Advertisement