Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

jaxdasher wrote: »
    OK this is my first Steam Sale, I only have a small amount I can spend on PC games. Right now there are awesome sales going on outside of Steam. Is it definitely worth more to wait for the Steam Summer sale than other stores right now?

Depends on what games you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

jaxdasher wrote: »
    OK this is my first Steam Sale, I only have a small amount I can spend on PC games. Right now there are awesome sales going on outside of Steam. Is it definitely worth more to wait for the Steam Summer sale than other stores right now?

Hahahaha...hahaha..haha...ha..... Everybody has said that, then the sale hits and people can't make rent. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

First rule of Steam Sale: Make sure all your immediate bills are paid. Second rule is to be ready to limit your food and social activity choices for the coming months. :o

Actually first rule is probably not to buy anything on a general discount until the last day of the sale if it doesn't appear as a flash or daily deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Not to be rude i would be one who thinks the steam sales are over priced for the games considering you can pick up must games cheaper on CD keys sites as thats what i have been doing. I don't think i have bought a game on steam for nearly 2 years now as any game i wonted i could pick up a lot cheaper else where and not wait for the sale. There is only one game that i wont on steam that cant be got else where is the Lego Minecraft game thats 20 euros on early access and that prob wont be on sale at all.

Heres a few games i picked up in the last few months on CD key sites that where a hell of a lot cheaper then steam even when the games are on sale.

A idea would be i bought borderlands game of the year Steam key for 5 euros there last week.

Then City Skylines i only paid i think 12 euros when it came out for it of a key site basically the game was out for 3 days i think at the time.

Football manager 2015 i paid i think 10 euros as well for it there 2 months after it came out and i don't think we will ever see them prices on steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Turtwig wrote: »
    First rule of Steam Sale: Make sure all your immediate bills are paid. Second rule is to be ready to limit your food and social activity choices for the coming months. :o

Actually first rule is probably not to buy anything on a general discount until the last day of the sale if it doesn't appear as a flash or daily deal.

Awful advice. Buy low, sell steam cards high from the games you purchased. Win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Not to be rude i would be one who thinks the steam sales are over priced for the games considering you can pick up must games cheaper on CD keys sites as thats what i have been doing. I don't think i have bought a game on steam for nearly 2 years now as any game i wonted i could pick up a lot cheaper else where and not wait for the sale. There is only one game that i wont on steam that cant be got else where is the Lego Minecraft game thats 20 euros on early access and that prob wont be on sale at all.

Heres a few games i picked up in the last few months on CD key sites that where a hell of a lot cheaper then steam even when the games are on sale.

A idea would be i bought borderlands game of the year Steam key for 5 euros there last week.

Then City Skylines i only paid i think 12 euros when it came out for it of a key site basically the game was out for 3 days i think at the time.

Football manager 2015 i paid i think 10 euros as well for it there 2 months after it came out and i don't think we will ever see them prices on steam.

Those sites can be dodgy. People have lost keys they bought in the past for that reason.

Those sites can be dodgy. People have lost keys they bought in the past for that reason.

*snip*

Then you have Cdkeys witch is a fantastic site i buy my xbox live and xbox games from them and never been a problem what so ever and a lot of people will say great things about them here on boards.

Some times its worth taking a risk on your games if your saving a lot of money and wont to play them today and not wait for the sales ;).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No discussion on how to bypass regional restrictions folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Cravez wrote: »
    I play it on Windows 7 with no issues. Your friend will probably need to get the unofficial patches from Nexus.

Wouldn't start at the beginning for me, went to the steam support page and theres a guide, had to download microsoft live thing, and change resolution as the automatic was different to my laptop and now it runs perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I'm preparing myself to be disappointed again like the last couple of our years. nuuvem I'd where its at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm just looking for a decent discount on GTA V, though I can't see more than 25% happening, so I won't be bothering there. Would like to see some discount on the Final Fantasy games that seem to be omitted from every Square-Enix sale I see. Assassins Creed Rogue for about a tenner would be nice also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You broadcast?

I what now?

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm just looking for a decent discount on GTA V, though I can't see more than 25% happening, so I won't be bothering there. Would like to see some discount on the Final Fantasy games that seem to be omitted from every Square-Enix sale I see. Assassins Creed Rogue for about a tenner would be nice also!

Be shocked if GTA got a 25% discount, I'd say 10% at max, if it even get's a sale. I'd be hopeful that they realise most people have bought GTA at this point, and a cheeky 50% would bring a rake load more people into the game.

The game was also succesfully cracked last week and is getting massive illegal circulation. Would be a smart play going against the grain and giving a big discount, but its very unlikely.

I'm holding off playing it illegally (although own PS3 copy) and want to wait for it to come a little down in price before buying.

Witcher 3 was going for €20-25 on other platforms like G2A, so potentially Witcher 3 might get a nice discount.

I might top up my wallet to 50 euro and hide mt cards...hopefully that will be enough to get me some nice additions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Nody wrote: »
    I got a few games I'm hoping for Borderlands GoTY (was down to 9.99 earlier but I'd want it cheaper because I don't have time to play it atm), the latest Batman game GoTY (game is selling for 2.99 but the DLCs add up way too much) and a few others but with my Kickstarter games and previous sales I don't see myself busting even 50 EUR limit :/

Borderlands GOTY is down to about 5$ on Kinguin at the moment.

• Advertisement

Actually did think of something to buy.

I had La Noire on Xbox and thought it was great but only got lie half way through, so gonna try pickup that will all DLC, that should be cheap :)

TheDoc wrote: »
    Actually did think of something to buy.

I had La Noire on Xbox and thought it was great but only got lie half way through, so gonna try pickup that will all DLC, that should be cheap :)

L.A. Noire Complete Bundle for $6.00

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭moesyzlak

It says you need a U.S. billing address. How would you get around that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Looking for iron brigade which I stupidly missed last week, ori and the blind forest, homeworld, bro force, super time force and whatever CK2 dlc I don't have.

Also whatever else I like the look of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I might top up my wallet to 50 euro and hide mt cards...hopefully that will be enough to get me some nice additions

^^This is what i do now,top up €50 before every sale and see what cards i can sell. That balance then becomes my budget.

I only really use steam now for smaller/indie/early access titles. AAA titles i grab off the key sites,workin out pretty well for me so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

EoinHef wrote: »
    ^^This is what i do now,top up €50 before every sale and see what cards i can sell. That balance then becomes my budget.

I only really use steam now for smaller/indie/early access titles. AAA titles i grab off the key sites,workin out pretty well for me so far.
    im a noob so excuse my ignorance lol what cards are you talking about selling?

im a noob so excuse my ignorance lol what cards are you talking about selling?

The Steam cards that you get for playing some games on steam

Heres all the info you need about it

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards

L.A. Noire Complete Bundle for $6.00

That's literally what gave me the idea, was looking at the Amazon sale last night

Any word on when the Summer sale starts?

To be honest I'd hazard a guess that La Noire bundle will be probably similar, think I remember last time round it was sub €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Tend to try for 1 set of cards but sell extras, might do the smart thing and sell them early then buy what u need as even with steams cut the price the first few days is much higher.

Or might just not rebuy anything.

TheDoc wrote: »
    That's literally what gave me the idea, was looking at the Amazon sale last night

Any word on when the Summer sale starts?

To be honest I'd hazard a guess that La Noire bundle will be probably similar, think I remember last time round it was sub €10

Sale starts June 11th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

.... and ends June 22nd, according to reddit.

Moon54 wrote: »
    .... and ends June 22nd, according to reddit.

I think it was leaked accidentally when PayPal sent an email telling users to prepare for the sale and gave the dates.

Also I heard there might be a last chances sale thing after haha

Anyone have any ideas if theyre doing that team thing again? Where you were in one of like five teams and points were awarded and the winning team got some games from their wishlist for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think it was leaked accidentally when PayPal sent an email telling users to prepare for the sale and gave the dates.

Also I heard there might be a last chances sale thing after haha

Anyone have any ideas if theyre doing that team thing again? Where you were in one of like five teams and points were awarded and the winning team got some games from their wishlist for free?

Only the dates have leaked afaik, but they will likely have some weird gameifying thing running as they have for the past 2 years

any advice lads first sale lol see people say dont buy day 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

This pretty much sums it up.

unzDD5K.png

• Advertisement

Dair76 wrote: »
    This pretty much sums it up.

unzDD5K.png

brilliant :D

Not really necessary any more with the refunds available.

It can take several days to get your money back, by which time the game you want may no longer be a daily deal/flash sale, or the sale may have ended etc.

Dair76 wrote: »
    It can take several days to get your money back, by which time the game you want may no longer be a daily deal/flash sale, or the sale may have ended etc.

Then don't wait, just buy it you'll get the money back eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Not a bad little bundle here for €2.19.

Alien Rage: Unlimited, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl, Mount & Blade, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, Pool Nation, A Bird Story, Spy Chameleon RGB Agent, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project.

Worth it for Pool Nation alone for me which is €9.99.

You also get 16 trading card drops from 4 of the games worth about €1.53 so that's essentially the bundle for 70 odd cent.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/all-stars-2-bundle/

Bit of a dumb question perhaps, but what's the story with those trading cards? I sold around seven quids worth of them a while back, why do people buy them, or rather, what's the benefit of buying them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bit of a dumb question perhaps, but what's the story with those trading cards? I sold around seven quids worth of them a while back, why do people buy them, or rather, what's the benefit of buying them?

If you collect all the cards for a game you get s badge for your stream profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If you collect all the cards for a game you get s badge for your stream profile.

This and also...

You level up your steam profile. Each level expands the number of friends you're allowed by 5 per level I think. Also each 10 levels gives you a showcase for your steam profile. It's up to you which showcase you want to use. The 3 showcase I use at the moment are my rarest achievements, my current items up for trade and my badges.

As well as being a kind of mini game in itself. Most of all, it creates a ****load more money for Valve :pac:

Varik wrote: »
    Then don't wait, just buy it you'll get the money back eventually.

That's fine if you're funds aren't limited. For those who have limited spending power (even if it's self-imposed), the info-graphic works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Also: you can buy the game as a gift and store it in your inventory. Then, when and if you decide to play it, just activate it on your account. However, if you heard bad reviews or it doesn't interest you, you can trade it with someone for something you might play. Keep your options open!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    This and also...

You level up your steam profile. Each level expands the number of friends you're allowed by 5 per level I think. Also each 10 levels gives you a showcase for your steam profile. It's up to you which showcase you want to use. The 3 showcase I use at the moment are my rarest achievements, my current items up for trade and my badges.

As well as being a kind of mini game in itself. Most of all, it creates a ****load more money for Valve :pac:

Not to mention it's highly addictive ;P

Falthyron wrote: »
    Also: you can buy the game as a gift and store it in your inventory. Then, when and if you decide to play it, just activate it on your account. However, if you heard bad reviews or it doesn't interest you, you can trade it with someone for something you might play. Keep your options open!

Yup, thats a good tip for new users. ALWAYS when you buy the game get it as a giftable item that saves to your inventory, unless you plan to play it right away. Various things could happen such as not wanting the game anymore, it becoming rare and valuable, could trade it for a game you want more etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Gifts are non-refundable, so not a great move doing that anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The Steam cards that you get for playing some games on steam

Heres all the info you need about it

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards

I use Idle Master to scrape the games for the cards and then use Steam inventory helper to sell them in bulk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Skerries wrote: »
    I use Idle Master to scrape the games for the cards and then use Steam inventory helper to sell them in bulk

How much you making?

so i log on at 8am and no sign of sale.... are they trying to mind**** me?????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH TAKE MY MONEY................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

6pm this evening.

Skerries wrote: »

FYI Steam inventory helper is against the Steam terms and your risking a ban using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

What advice would you give to a steam sale newbie?

I heard people say not to buy anything until the last day, and instead wait to see if it appears in the flash sale. How does that work? Are there a set number of titles on sale all week long, but some of them could enter the flash sale and become even cheaper?

I'm hoping to pick up a few strategy titles and maybe an RPG or two. I haven't got a wish list as such so I'm afraid I might run out and buy a load of crap I won't like. I assume the new refund system works on sale items?

How do you approach the sale? Do you have a list of games you want to buy only if they go below a certain price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

What advice would you give to a steam sale newbie?

I heard people say not to buy anything until the last day, and instead wait to see if it appears in the flash sale. How does that work? Are there a set number of titles on sale all week long, but some of them could enter the flash sale and become even cheaper?

I'm hoping to pick up a few strategy titles and maybe an RPG or two. I haven't got a wish list as such so I'm afraid I might run out and buy a load of crap I won't like. I assume the new refund system works on sale items?

How do you approach the sale? Do you have a list of games you want to buy only if they go below a certain price?

They have items on sale constantly and then there are community picks and flash sales. I generally don't buy an older title unless its on 75% sale. If you see a title you want on normal sale wait and see if it goes to flash as there will be a larger reduction

so i log on at 8am and no sign of sale.... are they trying to mind**** me?????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH TAKE MY MONEY................................

Such teases :P starts later today at 6pm, just perfect for when peopel return from work and spend all the money they have just made :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement