Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just the Talos principle for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Played any ARK yet? I'm always dubious about early access games after being bitten by the crap that is Dayz standalone.

I'm slightly quick to judge.

My set up is an i5 / 290 TriX / 8gb RAM, even in windowed I found it to run quite poorly. In similar light to Rust and DayZ you need a group of friends to sit and play with, which last night, I didn't have. In saying that I have a friend who was playing with people for the past two weeks and has clocked 80 hours in it and swears by it. I think I'll be waiting till it gets a few more patches before I buy it again.

But if you have a few mates that are going for it then it could be some mighty craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,398 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Probably gonna pick up iron brigade as my last one, was hoping it would drop a bit more but 66% is pretty good I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

VinLieger wrote: »
    Cant see massive chalice going beyond 10-15%

50%!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I can finally rest and buy games, finished the steam monster game :p

wormhole.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

~53e spent
    Antichamber
    Anno 2070 Complete Ed
    Castle Crashers
    Rayman Origins
    Grow Home
    The Talos Principle
    Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Ed
    Alien: Isolation
    Transistor
    How to Survive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Got

CK2 dlc
    KSP
    Age of Empires II
    Long live the Queen
    Homeworld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I ended up with

The Witcher 2
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Spec Ops
    Mark of the Ninja
    How to Survive
    Chivalry

Not bad for 20 quid or so, should pull a nice while from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Not a bad sale my end:

Saints Row IV 4.99
    Arma 3 DLC Bundle 13.99
    The Long Dark 9.99
    SimCity 4 Deluxe 2.19
    Watch_Dogs Standard 11.99
    Metro Last Light Redux 4.99
    Metro 2033 Redux 4.99
    Alien: Isolation Corporate Lockdown 1.99
    The Witcher 2 2.99
    Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ROW 9.99

Total of €68.10

Steam trading cards: €23786.34

Cant help myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Only one purchase in this sale and that was

Grey Goo - I am a pretty big fan of RTS games, and grey goo seems like my kinda game.

Just requested a steam refund for this game, must say i was not impressed. The interface was unlikeable, graphically it looks like a game engine from 6-7 years ago, it just felt off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am liking the Encore deals. I missed Alien: Isolation earlier in the sale so I reckon it is time to pick it up. 75% off ain't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Really disappointed with Metro 2033, is there any other enemies in it besides these mutated dog things? Ive been playing for a couple of hours and all I do is shoot them and the odd nest of bandits, its so boring, think Ill just give up and move on to the Wolfensteins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

So I finally broke.

Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    Child of light

I'm considering a Fallout game as well but unsure of which to go for Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

I've never played fallout before. I quite like the look of New Vegas though.

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Just Orion: Prelude and Never Alone for me. Going to make an effort to play things I haven't touched since they were bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

So I finally broke.

Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    Child of light

I'm considering a Fallout game as well but unsure of which to go for Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Thoughts?

I definitely preferred Fallout 3 personally, but they're both excellent. New Vegas is much longer and the story can vary a lot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

So I finally broke.

Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    Child of light

Thoughts?

If you havent played them before, would be a big mistake to go for NV. FO3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

XCOM-Enemy unknown
    This War of Mine
    Strider
    Lego Batman 3
    Gauntlet(Refunded)
    The Banner Sage.

I though I bought more.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Finally Tally,

7 Days to die
    XCOM EW
    Valkyria Chronicles
    CIV V complete
    Payday 2 GOTY
    Sunless Sea
    Insurgency
    Eldritch
    Deadly Premonition

Total 60 quid

I got all I wanted and more and Im pretty happy with it all. Chuffed.

Anyone have a spare Cerulean Carmouth spare, have multiples of all the others bar number 3 and 7

J Mysterio wrote: »
    If you havent played them before, would be a big mistake to go for NV. FO3.

I think I'll pick up Fallout 3 based on feedback here but tbf I probably won't get to it any time soon.

I intend on giving Skyrim a go first and I've heard there's a few hours in that. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I think I'll pick up Fallout 3 based on feedback here but tbf I probably won't get to it any time soon.

I intend on giving Skyrim a go first and I've heard there's a few hours in that. Lol

Few hundred :P.. Yea FO3 would be the best one to play first (I prefer it over NV myself)..

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Can anyone advise if Cities Skylines is worth the money? Tempted but more then I'd usually spend on a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it's very very good. A bit of a learning curve, but it's very rewarding (I watched some youtube for starting tips)

Read some reviews: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-skylines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tempted by Black Mesa for €15. Is it worth it? Haven't played HL1 since it came out. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Tempted by homeworld remastered, how does it compare with sins of a solar empire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

tbukela wrote: »
    Can anyone advise if Cities Skylines is worth the money? Tempted but more then I'd usually spend on a game.

I bought it the other day and put about 7 hours in. Really enjoying it. It's very simple to get into but as your city grows managing things like traffic and pollution gets more difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Final tally:

- Metro Redux bundle
    - Child of Light
    - Transistor
    - Lego Batman 3
    - Nihilumbra
    - The Wolf Among Us

Came to just over €31. My top targets were GTA 5 and The Witcher, but only if I could have got either for under €30, so happy waiting for both. Also really wanted the rebooted Wolfenstein, but happy to wait till it drops under a tenner. I've been so spoiled by these sales that I'm patient to wait a year or so if need be, have enough of a backlog and little enough time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

- Wolfenstein: The New Order
    - Wolfenstein: Old Blood
    - Spelunky
    - Metro/Last Light Redux
    - Grey Goo
    - Dishonored
    - Ancient Space
    - Might & Magic: Heroes 6

About €80 all told.

Huh. Didn't even realise I got that many until now.

Pretty happy with that.

Might get the Witcher 3 as well. I just can't play it until I get a new GPU in a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So I finally broke.

Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    Child of light

Thoughts?

Depends what you're after, tbh.

I by far preferred FO3 because I loved the grimness and gallows humour of it. There's also a poignancy to wandering around Washington, with all these massive ruined icons of American patriotism and the constant, grimly ironic ashes of propaganda. It just felt more important. It's not a barrel of laughs, but I like that about it. There's a resonance to it that makes it very compelling.

NV, on the other hand, it's generally considered to have better writing and more refined gameplay, but it didn't get its claws into me in the same way. FO3 wallows in the ideas and ideals of a nuclear apocalypse, but NV kind of takes that setting for granted and populates it with a whole spectrum of characters and their territory wars. A lot of people like it for being less desolate, less oppressive and lighter in tone, as well as more variety in the cast, factions and settings.

So basically, if you like Cold War themes, you're okay wandering around alone a lot, and you want to spend some time contemplating the folly of mutually assured destruction, go FO3.

If you like westerns, faction intrigues, and a fairly dynamic plot universe, go NV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Just buy both fallout 3 and nv at those prices you can't go wrong and both games are class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Didnt pick up much this sale,a few games i wanted but werent quite cheap enough,ill most likely pick them up during the christmas sale as i reckon they will be discounted more.

Picked up:
    -Spec Ops:The line
    -MS Flight Sim X
    -Insurgency
    -Assasins Creed: Black Flag

Total about €23

Had a go of insurgency and have to say the guns feel and sound great. Can see myself putting a good bit of time in there. Havent played an assasins creed since 2 and black flag keeps getting good mentions so thought id pick it up and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Arma 3 DLC Bundle for €14 -will it get any cheaper, or will I buy it now? Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Got myself CS:GO, Insurgency and Metro;LL Redux. Really want Arma 3 but don't have the money unfortunately, very good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Got myself CS:GO, Insurgency and Metro;LL Redux. Really want Arma 3 but don't have the money unfortunately, very good price.

You will be able to get Arma on the key sites for a similar price for the next while i reckon. Base game is only going to get cheaper. No need to get the DLC when you buy it first either unless there is a very generous deal.

You should pick it up at some point if you like tactical shooters,it really is very good and you get plenty of content even in the base game. The mission editor alone is worth it just to play around with

Just buy both fallout 3 and nv at those prices you can't go wrong and both games are class

More so the time than money tbf.

Sure Skyrim and Witcher 2 will get me to the next sale on their own never mind all the console stuff I have going on.

Still tempted though. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have 2.60 left in my account. What to buy...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have 2.60 left in my account. What to buy...

Add a wee bit more and get the most relaxing gaming experience ever, great after a hard day or when you want to play a game but dont want to play a game :P

Multiplayer mod is great fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dcully wrote: »
    Add a wee bit more and get the most relaxing gaming experience ever, great after a hard day or when you want to play a game but dont want to play a game :P

Multiplayer mod is great fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/

I have that already, but regardless I don't want to add more funds to my account :P So I would guess 2.49 or less is what I'm looking at. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You'll get Battleblock Theater and Castle Crashers for about that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Commandos 2 - Men of Courage is 90% and only 39c, it's still a great game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Links234 wrote: »
    Ok, so the (maybe) final tally is:

Valkyria Chronicles - 4.99
    Wolfenstein: The New Order - 12.49
    The Evil Within - Gift
    The Evil Within: Season Pass - 9.99
    Insurgency 4 pack - 10.49
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 4.99

€42.95 in total.

I bit the bullet on The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, so that's €49.40 in total, still coming in at under the budget I set myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Final Tally:

Xcom Enemy Unknown
    Crusader Kings 2 DLCs
    Anno 2070
    Fallout 3
    Fallout NV
    Age of Empires 2
    The Guild 2
    The Withcer 2
    Galactic Civilizations 2
    Banner Saga
    Europa Universalis IV
    Democracy 3

I quite enjoyed my first Steam Sale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

My final tally is:

FEAR 2: Project Origin Retail
    Alien: Isolation
    Alien: Isolation - Season Pass
    Half-Life Complete
    Game of Thrones
    FEAR 3 Retail
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    Bioshock
    PAYDAY 2: GOTY Edition
    Dishonored GOTY
    Spec Ops The Line
    METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
    Eidos Anthology
    Fallout 3 - Game of the Year
    Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
    Fallout 2
    Fallout
    Sniper Elite
    Watch_Dogs Deluxe Edition
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

Pretty pleased with all this considering it was my first steam sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Got a refund on the Metro 2033 and Last Light bundle, ridiculously overrated games, doesn't matter how good the rest of the game is (which it wasnt), if you've only got 5 or 6 weapons to choose from and only two types of enemies to kill over and over again its going to be a boring game.

Was I the only one who got The Evil Within?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im tempted by it - how you getting on with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Said I'd spend €50, ended up spending maybe €5-6 over the last two days on a few stragglers. Made a decision to stick with smaller, independent games where I could (Metro and Life is Strange being the eventual exceptions). Ended up getting:

Metro: Last Light
    Freedom Planet
    The Talos Principle
    Crypt of the Necrodancer
    Astebreed
    Talos Principle
    Life is Strange (episodes 2-5)
    The Graveyard
    Fatale
    Morphopolis (less than 20c!)

Wossack wrote: »
    Im tempted by it - how you getting on with it?

Finding it very challenging, 5 hours into it and I'm only on chapter 4. Took me about hour just to get past the first enemy in the game, I was dying constantly. There's a big stealth element to it, and I'm loving that aspect, ammo is scarce and you can get killed very easily even by the average zombies, so it's pretty tense. The first boss fight was easily one of the most intense moments I've experienced in gaming in ages, I got a real sense of panic and had to run the hell away, because if he got close I was dead.

That said, it's a bit flawed and I can see where a lot of people would find issue, the controls take a bit of getting used to and the camera can be clunky. They also have this forced widescreen with prominent black borders, which I get what they're trying to do because it's an extremely cinematic game and very stylistic, but takes some serious getting used to. It's a really good game, with some great gameplay mechanics and incredible to look at, but there's issues some players won't be able to overlook.

I seriously like this game, but if in doubt, download the demo and see how you get on with it, then wait until the next sale. Oh, did I mention it was one of the few games on Steam that has a demo? So huge props to them for that alone! Apparently it's the first 3 chapters, which is a fair chunk of the game and gives you a good idea about how it plays. Here's the Steam page, give it a go. ;)

The trailer gives a really good idea of the game too:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Whoever picked up Sunless Sea, what did you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Steam refunded my money today.

Bought brothers, this war, Stanley parable and don't starve.

That's the sale complete I think.

Outside of the sale I also got Fifa 15.

• Advertisement
Advertisement