Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Turtwig wrote: »
    Steam refunded my money today.

Bought brothers, this war, Stanley parable and don't starve.

That's the sale complete I think.

Outside of the sale I also got Fifa 15.

Did it take the full 7 days? I've 3 refunds from June 19th, and one from the 20th that I'm waiting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Whoever picked up Sunless Sea, what did you think?

I used to play Echo Bazaar many years ago. It was interesting for a while, I've been vaguely curious about Sunless Sea but not curious enough to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I think Vojera is a big fan of Sunless Sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

chrislad wrote: »
    Did it take the full 7 days? I've 3 refunds from June 19th, and one from the 20th that I'm waiting for.

Applied for refund last Thursday. Was approved minutes later. Got Money back someTime today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dair76 wrote: »
    I think Vojera is a big fan of Sunless Sea?

Looks cool. Would have bought it if not at the ****ty end of me paycheck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm done .I picked up a lot of "under a euro" and "under a fiver" stuff (bar lego batman3/shadowrun chronicles/and leadwerks

Toybox Turbos Steam Store
    DLC Quest Steam Store
    Doorways Steam Store
    Castle Crashers Steam Store
    Ghost Master Steam Store
    Kung Fury: Street Rage Steam Store
    Double Dragon: Neon Steam Store
    Retro/Grade Steam Store
    Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Steam Store
    Developer Alliance Bundle Steam Store
    The Albino Hunter Steam Store
    Despair Steam Store
    Morphopolis Steam Store
    Power-Up Steam Store
    Soul Gambler: Dark Arts Edition Steam Store
    The Slaughtering Grounds Steam Store
    Diehard Dungeon Steam Store
    //N.P.P.D. Rush// - The milk of Ultra violet Steam Store
    How to Survive - Storm Warning Edition Steam Store
    Age of Mythology EX Steam Store
    Prison Architect Standard Steam Store
    Hero Siege Steam Store
    Pixel Heroes Steam Store
    LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Premium Edition Steam Store
    Spear of Destiny Steam Store
    Wolfenstein 3D Steam Store
    Sir, You Are Being Hunted Steam Steam Store
    Leadwerks Game Engine: Indie Edition Steam Store

Also picked up a few in the Gog sale ,
    SanctuaryRPG black edition has had a hell of a lot of play so far.Well worth picking up IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ended up picking up Batman Origins without DLCs for 3.49; that puts my total spend at 8.48 EUR (Valkyria 4.99). I spent more than that on cards for badges... (but the badges helps me get bonus packs for the rest of my time so not to unhappy about that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

so i ended up buying more 3v credit :( **** you steam sale ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sunless Sea is fantastic, it has a uniquely bleak mood and applying roguelike rules to exploration and narrative makes for a very bold and exciting experience. I must get back to it, as when I first played I needed a break from its relentless hopelessness, and I kept finding I'd get to a certain point before something cruel would end my game instantly. But there's a whole lot to love in the game, and would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    The Stanley Parable
    The Walking Dead
    Dishonored GOTY
    Legend of Korra
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Complete Pack
    Mount and Blade: Warband

About 30 euro in total. Not bad. Should keep me going for 6 months. Now Im unemployed and not in final year of college so maybe only 1 month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

How could you possibly have time to play all those?
    Dr Bob wrote: »
    I'm done .I picked up a lot of "under a euro" and "under a fiver" stuff (bar lego batman3/shadowrun chronicles/and leadwerks

Toybox Turbos Steam Store
    DLC Quest Steam Store
    Doorways Steam Store
    Castle Crashers Steam Store
    Ghost Master Steam Store
    Kung Fury: Street Rage Steam Store
    Double Dragon: Neon Steam Store
    Retro/Grade Steam Store
    Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown Steam Store
    Developer Alliance Bundle Steam Store
    The Albino Hunter Steam Store
    Despair Steam Store
    Morphopolis Steam Store
    Power-Up Steam Store
    Soul Gambler: Dark Arts Edition Steam Store
    The Slaughtering Grounds Steam Store
    Diehard Dungeon Steam Store
    //N.P.P.D. Rush// - The milk of Ultra violet Steam Store
    How to Survive - Storm Warning Edition Steam Store
    Age of Mythology EX Steam Store
    Prison Architect Standard Steam Store
    Hero Siege Steam Store
    Pixel Heroes Steam Store
    LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Premium Edition Steam Store
    Spear of Destiny Steam Store
    Wolfenstein 3D Steam Store
    Sir, You Are Being Hunted Steam Steam Store
    Leadwerks Game Engine: Indie Edition Steam Store

Also picked up a few in the Gog sale ,
    SanctuaryRPG black edition has had a hell of a lot of play so far.Well worth picking up IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

caff wrote: »

Its how you build of a decent backlog, or as Turtwig put it, a "library" which you can sample bits and pieces as you please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

XCOM Bundle
    This War of Mine
    Crysis 2: Maximum Edition
    Banished
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Wanted ROME 2 but I probably won't play it in the next few months and will get it cheaper at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I see that on reddit so much, people having library's with 100's of games. Kinda pointless in my opinion, you're never actually gonna play through half those games. Quality over quantity for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

vlad2009 wrote: »
    I see that on reddit so much, people having library's with 100's of games. Kinda pointless in my opinion, you're never actually gonna play through half those games. Quality over quantity for me

why would anyone do that!? :o:D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

• Advertisement

Seems a lot of people bought Xcom in this sale.

It's a brilliant game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

My tally in total

Games I bought
    • Verdun 4 pack (one for myself, 3 for others)
    • Mordheim: City of the Damned
    • Dreadout
    • Bunch of Payday 2 DLC
    • Arma 3 DLC Bundle

Games I was gifted
    • Legend of Grimrock 2
    • Door Kickers

Games I bought for others
    • Arma 3 Extended Edition
    • Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition
    • Verdun (3 copies given to others)

It was a good sale, probably Steam's best in a few years. If I had the run of myself I would have bought more but with the Witcher 3 to play through and waiting on Fallout 4 and other games later in the year there wasn't much point in me buying too much.

Got nothing and want to get Metro Redux but waiting on my new card, twice it's been sent out and still nothing. Going to take a walk into Gamestop and get a 10 euro card before the sale ends and if not just pick it up on a key site over the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I can finally rest and buy games, finished the steam monster game :p

wormhole.png

I got my friend into 1 game, he got the 100 mill wormhole badge like you.

I got myself into multiple games over the days and furthest I got was 98.5 million before the game reset.

GOOD RIDDANCE monster game I say! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Frisbee wrote: »
    XCOM Bundle
    This War of Mine
    Crysis 2: Maximum Edition
    Banished
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Wanted ROME 2 but I probably won't play it in the next few months and will get it cheaper at Christmas.
    Following this logic myself.

South Park and Batman can wait :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    GOOD RIDDANCE monster game I say! :pac: :D
    Which reminds me. I have badges, and have to do something with them. Forget what, though. Gems, or something.

Seems I also have the Farcry Blood Dragon game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Just need one more steam sale trade card - Dire Frog.

I have a spare Blitzkrieg, Cerulean Carmouth, Dominic if anyone wants to trade.

I cant believe anyone played that sh1t tbh. I clicked on it once a day for the cards!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I cant believe anyone played that sh1t tbh. I clicked on it once a day for the cards!

Not many people actually "played" it.

I got gems. No idea what the gems are for. Screw it.

Also did a (very) last minute buy of the ARMA3 DLC, as I know I want it, purely so I can pick up the good sniper weapons from the AI, and be able to fly the choppers that are littered around the maps to get you to buy the DLC :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

How many people are feeling an itch to grab something quick before the sale ends? Be honest now! :pac:

Only people with insatiable appetites for games?...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Links234 wrote: »
    How many people are feeling an itch to grab something quick before the sale ends? Be honest now! :pac:
    I already scratched it a moment ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

the_syco wrote: »
    I got gems. No idea what the gems are for. Screw it.

Also did a (very) last minute buy of the ARMA3 DLC, as I know I want it, purely so I can pick up the good sniper weapons from the AI, and be able to fly the choppers that are littered around the maps to get you to buy the DLC :pac:

You can craft card booster packs with gems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

.... and we're clear. Phew!

• Advertisement

Well see you all in 6 months time for the Winter sale! :D

SteamWinterSale2013.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bought bits and Bobs, all happy.

Got the x-com series

Wolfenstein: The New order

Fallout New Vegas Dlcs

Other things cant remember....... Yep. Typical Steam sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I made it. My first steam sale in 5 years without buying anything.

I'm free.

Agent J wrote: »
    I made it. My first steam sale in 5 years without buying anything.

I'm free.

Pfft, noob. The more steam sales you abstain the bigger the eventual splurge will be!

I got the ARMA3 DLC. I wanted it, but wanted to see if it'd go down in price. So bought it at 17:50 or so.

=-=

Game I was most happy with; Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal for €1.49 - down from €14.99 Loved the web based games, and know that I'll have great fun with it.

Also bought "Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon" for the lulz. Once I get more HDD space, I'll install it, and make stupid videos of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Pfft, noob. The more steam sales you abstain the bigger the eventual splurge will be!

t's ok. I plan to go through my backlog before I buy any more games....

caff wrote: »
    vlad2009 wrote: »

Take any digital streaming collection like Netflix or Spotify. It's impossible to watch and listen to all the content on them. So you're effectively paying €7 a month towards a majority of content you'll never watch. At most you'll be lucky if you experience 1% of their library. But that's the thing, you have the choice to choose anything from their libraries. I view Steam as similar. I explained it much better in a previous post.
    I like to think of steam as very similar to Netflix - you pay a small amount for access to a very large library of content. Gaming isn't supposed to reflect the mundane reality of life. It's meant to be a form of escapism. So what if we don't finish every game? Or only try one. The point is that when we have the free the time available to us any distraction, any world, that we choose to immerse ourselves in is instantly available on demand. If you feel like a racer you can play it. If you feel like delving yourself into an rpg epic you can do that too. Competitive, maybe even professional, gaming? That's there too. Cooperative teamwork? Yup, all there and accounted for. General messing around? Anything! Anything you want to do you can do. There's no rule that says we must finish our games. I know I've seen tonnes of blogs go on about how awful it is that people have unfinished games. Maybe it is? But I don't see why we ought to finish every game we play? As long as we have fun isn't that all that really matters?

Games aren't lifetime tasks they're distractions from it that we can use whatever way we see fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

To me its ridiculous when people look at things like how long a game takes to beat and order there play time to try efficently finish as many games as they can,catagorising games so they can get through them a lot quicker and have no backlog.

To me that makes it seem like a chore or a task that has to undertaken otherwise they are insecure about the percieved value they have gotten for any game. This removes what is good about gaming imo,its supposed to be fun escapism,well thats what its supposed to be to me.

Im not saying one way is right and one way is wrong but who cares what way other people see their librarys,weather that be oppurtunities for fun with a list of never going to be finished games or as a list of things to be finished before moving on to the next,as long as we each enjoy our own way of doing it thats all that should matter,IMO anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Picked up Mark of the Ninja as an impulse buy at the end and I have to say, it's really, really good, great little stealth platformer with really cool animation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Whoever picked up Sunless Sea, what did you think?
    Sorry, only after seeing this now that the sale is over.

I really love the game. I had played Fallen London a little beforehand so I was familiar with the setting but it isn't necessary. It has a delightfully gloomy atmosphere and the stories are really interesting and unique. Balancing your supplies, fuel and terror (which gets higher the longer you spend away from Fallen London) is tricky and your first few captains will inevitably die. There is a temptation in the beginning to stay close to home waters, but pushing yourself to sail further into the unknown is the only way to make progress. Trade isn't as important to the game as you might think - while you'll definitely need to build up a bit of cash, it's your port reports and exploring the stories behind various island and your crew that form the bones of the game. The soundtrack is fantastic (you can listen to the remastered soundtrack on Bandcamp for free, or buy it) and I have gasped in audible delight as it has chimed in with various discoveries.

It certainly has its flaws and it's not for everyone. The learning curve is very steep in the first few hours, or so I found anyway. The permadeath feature can be turned off, but I've left mine on (I'm determined to get that damned achievement!) and I have screamed at the screen in frustration because of it. The stories are fed to you piecemeal and while individual stories in the game are resolved, there is very little information on the background lore (this is true whether you've played FL or not). You will inevitably end up reading wikis and blogs for more info. The map semi-randomises with each new captain and occasionally this can leave certain islands so far from London that your captain will struggle early on, no matter how well you manage your supplies. Combat is not great and is best avoided at first. Even later, the rewards for defeating sea creatures or other ships are rarely worth the effort unless you need a specific item drop to advance a story.

Despite all that, I am completely enchanted by it. I'm 40 hours in and I'd say I'll sink the same in again before I feel like I've seen everything, and even at that the devs are adding new stories regularly and are planning a DLC with submarines! Plus they're really nice guys, they're happy to chat to you on Twitter or Reddit if you've any queries or just want to talk about the game.

EDIT: Also, this doesn't have anything to do with game play but I haven't seen this mentioned on Boards before. When creating your character Sunless Sea allows you to not specify your character's gender and you can also choose non-gender-specific forms of address (i.e. Citizen or Captain, rather than Lady or Sir, etc.). I know that doesn't seem like much and to the vast majority of gamers it'll mean nothing, but to a very small minority that's a meaningful inclusion and I thought it was a cool idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh, when someone asked about The Evil Within earlier, I had this to say:
    That said, it's a bit flawed and I can see where a lot of people would find issue, the controls take a bit of getting used to and the camera can be clunky. They also have this forced widescreen with prominent black borders, which I get what they're trying to do because it's an extremely cinematic game and very stylistic, but takes some serious getting used to. It's a really good game, with some great gameplay mechanics and incredible to look at, but there's issues some players won't be able to overlook.

I'm an idiot! :o

They had updated the game so that you could disable the letterbox view not long after release it turns out, it's in the options! They're enabled by default and the action will switch to letterboxed view for cutscenes and character interactions, so the above is no longer relevant. It seemed to be perhaps the main issue a lot of people had with the game, so that's really not an issue any more. :D

Also, if you do decide to try the game, burn the bodies! Trust me.

7YcesZh.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

oof hardcore animation :o FU corpse!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

That fairly massive haul I got , I'm trying to do some game dev stuff at the moment (which is why I usually try and pick up any game engine/game maker stuff if its cheap, just to play around with it).and it doesnt hurt to look at a lot of indie stuff ,no AAA games and the like
    A lot of them were under 50 cents , so in a few cases the card prices for them will pay for most of the game.A few of them were beat em ups (which I'll pop on the arcade cab for a laugh)and some were for playing with the kids (Batman 3 and Micro Mach..I mean Tiny Turbos)
    Some of the stuff I picked up cheap has suprised me (soul gambler is a very entertaining visual novel/point and click, and NNPPD has artwork by a mate of mine from the internets in it(which I didnt know about!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

I miss you already Steam sale:(

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Glebee wrote:
    I miss you already Steam sale

I miss you already money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Anyone else have issue with a purchase showing in their steam account. The purchase was initially showing up with nothing in my folders. Now even the purchase is not showing up. I have tried to get in touch with them. Since initially setting up the account a week or so ago. I have not been able to get past their Captha System. It just keeps refusing to accept, I am human :( lol. Online banking showed the transaction almost immediately, but the date the charge has been applied to my account keep changing. Yesterday when I logged into my online banking, it showed transaction date of 16/06/15, with the charge applied 22/06/15. Initially it had shown them as being applied at the date of the transaction.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

My list:
    • Bulletstorm
    • The Ship - Complete Pack
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe
    • I am Bread
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game + Expansion Pass Launch
    • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
    • Viscera Cleanup Detail

Apart from the Witcher (which is worth every penny) I spent very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Considering I only bought Orion: Prelude (because those dudes deserved my money based on their youtube video alone) and Never Alone, and I'm almost finished Never Alone, I'm pretty happy with myself. I'm determined that by the next sale I'll have far fewer unplayed games and can splurge :D

Advertisement