Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

Are people this really excited for a Steam sale, given that the various key sites nearly always beat Steam on sales price and that's on an average day of the week. I like what Steam do but it's been a number of years since one of their sales was all that impressive with recent sales being incredibly poor.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are people this really excited for a Steam sale, given that the various key sites nearly always beat Steam on sales price and that's on an average day of the week. I like what Steam do but it's been a number of years since one of their sales was all that impressive with recent sales being incredibly poor.

You ask this every year, answer is probably still yes. Steam sales aren't about good deals they're about trading cards and snow globes and levelling up your account. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

What exactly are you looking for? I always manage to pick up 3-4 things (Season pass, DLC, expansions and games, etc.) and my library amounts to 341. A Steam Sale is fun - that's all there is to it. Random games being discounted, the summer event/challenge, and the excitement of people buying games and sharing their interests. Not everything comes down to tangible returns through a financial focus point.

Besides, it is very clear now that those who benefit most from a Steam Sale are the new users. People looking to pick up a few games for their first (or second time) that could be a few years old. Would you prefer Steam stopped doing sales?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

While I do agree 100%, steam sales are now more the new users, since there is a lot of hype about them. Long time "frugal" users know there is often much better deals to be had.

I will say though, its the first summer sale without the possibility of buying from super cheap russian sellers for a third of the price. This makes me sad.

I like the sales and all but when you have dozens of key sales offering better deals on an average Tuesday than Steam do during a sale then it kinda makes them a little unnecessary. The trading cards and the like are all well and good but I'd much prefer to see Steam offering up some better deals. Last year during the sale a number of games I wanted were discounted but a quick google and I found them for cheaper on the likes of amazon, gog and the various key sites. By all means get caught up in the sale but people should remember to shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I am back pc gaming after a 7 year 360 absence, what are these Russian Steam key sellers I should be looking at instead of the Steam sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're looking for a particular game, check http://isthereanydeal.com for best prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Thargor wrote: »
    I am back pc gaming after a 7 year 360 absence, what are these Russian Steam key sellers I should be looking at instead of the Steam sale?

As far as I'm aware, the keys are now worthless as you can't play the game due to region restrictions.

Just like everywhere else, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. The keys get blocked.

Use a legit site like humble, gog , gmg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Just like everywhere else, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. The keys get blocked.

Well steam has now put a stop to it with regional restrictions, but I bought virtually all my games from russian sellers the past few years and not a single one was revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know some people rather going through key sites as they say they get better deals but a lot of us are fine just going through Steam.

Secure, reliable and easy. To be honest I wouldnt lose sleep buying a game or bundle of games for 5 quid and then finding it cheaper online.

What's not to like about it, loads of sales, promotions, trading , the excitement of seeing what games are on sale. I just find it easy too, top the wallet up by 50 and just click and buy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mod note - It's been said before, but just to note it again...there is to be no discussion on bypassing regional restrictions in this thread.

Talking about key sites is fine, but if it involves a VPN activated game, or changing your address, i will have to give out infractions. It's come up a few times recently, so there's been plenty of warnings so far. Keep it legit (or as legit as most key sites can be)

Anyway, back to the sale...I doubt i'll ever get as excited as i did a few years ago, but it's still often very good. I've bought most of the games i'd have been interested in already, but there's always a few games that i'm tempted by. And I'm pretty much guaranteed to buy at least 2 games that i'll never play :pac:

I just hope they go back to the old sale format, as i didn't like the last few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyway, back to the sale...I doubt i'll ever get as excited as i did a few years ago, but it's still often very good. I've bought most of the games i'd have been interested in already, but there's always a few games that i'm tempted by. And I'm pretty much guaranteed to buy at least 2 games that i'll never play :pac:

I just hope they go back to the old sale format, as i didn't like the last few.

Yeah 3-4 years ago was the golden age for me too, however considering the last 2 years have been so poor i have a pretty large list of things that im hoping to pick up that are old enough to expect some good deals on

OK, I'm hoping for dying light and gta to have 35‰ off, the old blood, 25% off, dear Esther, the long dark, resident evil rev and the Witcher 2 with 75% off. Topping off the wallet now. :)

OK, I'm hoping for dying light and gta to have 35‰ off, the old blood, 25% off, dear Esther, the long dark, resident evil rev and the Witcher 2 with 75% off. Topping off the wallet now. :)

I'm keeping my eye out on some of the F1 games too!

I want strategy packs, like Civ V and all the expansions or all the Total Wars, do things like that come up much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I am hoping to pick up:

Grim Fandango
    Hotline Miami 2
    Dying Light: Season Pass
    Trine 3
    The Detail
    Life is Strange
    Shadow of Mordor: Season Pass
    Rome 2: Total War DLC

I hope I can limit my purchasing to just that... :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I want strategy packs, like Civ V and all the expansions or all the Total Wars, do things like that come up much?

Civ V nearly always goes on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Civ V was up at Christmas and I don't recall it being on sale since, so I'd say it's a good bet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

yep, pretty regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yep there always seems to be a Sega / CA Total War Mega pack. So the likes of Medieval 2, Rome, Shogun 2, Empire, Napoleon with DLC's all bundled together with the arse discounted out of it.

I'd imagine Rome 2 and Attila might be absorbed into it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

There is a countdown clock to the sale here
    https://steamdb.info/sales/

Ooh, i'll defintely pick up Rome 2/Attila if they are available. And probably Dying Light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'd be careful of using key sites, I recently had my copy of GTA V revoked (purchased it as a steam gift) as the seller's card had insufficient funds for the purchase or whatever.

I now have to wait nearly two weeks to 'resolve' the dispute with the seller before the key site will escalate it to a claim so that I can get my money back / get a new key.

I've used key sites for games before but this is the first time I've had any trouble... I'll be wary of using them from now on though.

XCom Bundle, Rome 2, Shadow of Mordor, This War of Mine and Far Cry 4 is all I'll be keeping my eyes out for.

Shadow of Mordor & Far Cry 4 only if they dip into that 75% range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dying light is great fun in co-op :)

Frisbee wrote: »
    Shadow of Mordor & Far Cry 4 only if they dip into that 75% range.

I really, really can't see far cry dip any lower than 40% off but it would make a very wasn't surprise!

MrVestek wrote: »
    I'd be careful of using key sites, I recently had my copy of GTA V revoked (purchased it as a steam gift) as the seller's card had insufficient funds for the purchase or whatever.

I now have to wait nearly two weeks to 'resolve' the dispute with the seller before the key site will escalate it to a claim so that I can get my money back / get a new key.

I've used key sites for games before but this is the first time I've had any trouble... I'll be wary of using them from now on though.

Never had a single issue with any key site and the only person I know who did had it sorted in a matter of hours. You just have to be careful with who you buy them off and when using sites like kinguin be sure to buy off of respectable sellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Far Cry 4 is €60 on Steam though, it's €18-19 on places like G2Play. I know some people prefer to buy from Steam or have reservations about using key sites, but I've never had an issue and I get 95% of my games from G2Play.

Edit: even Shadow of Mordor is €50 on Steam and €10 on G2Play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Never had a single issue with any key site and the only person I know who did had it sorted in a matter of hours. You just have to be careful with who you buy them off and when using sites like kinguin be sure to buy off of respectable sellers.

I used G2A and purchased off of a person with incredibly high rep. Stupid me didn't purchase the buyer protection in order to save myself €2.

Won't be doing that again in a hurry... means I'd have been refunded instantly instead of this lengthy drawn out process...

• Advertisement

I really, really can't see far cry dip any lower than 40% off but it would make a very wasn't surprise!

Most likely not. Shadow of Mordor went to 40% in the last one so could see it going to 66% this time round. Far Cry I'm not expecting to go that low so will probably hold off until Christmas anyway.
    Far Cry 4 is €60 on Steam though, it's €18-19 on places like G2Play. I know some people prefer to buy from Steam or have reservations about using key sites, but I've never had an issue and I get 95% of my games from G2Play.

Edit: even Shadow of Mordor is €50 on Steam and €10 on G2Play.

I buy games twice a year basically. Summer & Christmas so don't mind paying that bit extra to go through Steam as I generally don't buy anything unless it's at 75% off and the extra couple of quid difference is worth it imo for the service they provide.

Just checked my Steam account for the first time in a year, there's a crapload of games here I want to play that my old laptop couldn't handle! Zero recollection where half these came from, must have been humble bundles and random gifts from friends:

Arma II and all the expansions, Civ IV + expansions, Civ V + expansions, Bioshock 2, Left4Dead 2, Serious Sam 3, Sim city IV, Spec Ops: The Line, the Darkness II, Xcom: the Bureau, Sniper Elite, Sniper Elite V2, Dawn of War II + expansions, Rome: TW + expansions and a load more I want to look at like Darwinia, Defcon, Braid etc. 77 games in my library just from random pick ups, I would have said I had about 20 if you'd asked me this morning.

Good thing I looked, I would have bought a lot of those, feel like I just won a few hundred on a scratchcard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I feel nervous its like that feeling you have when about to lose virginity the excitement the rush the danger im gonna blow my load with excitement :D

I WANT CHEAP GAMES NOWWWWWWW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

I feel nervous its like that feeling you have when about to lose virginity the excitement the rush the danger im gonna blow my load with excitement :D
    I WANT CHEAP GAMES NOWWWWWWW

cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm hoping for Darwinia, Grim Fandango, Outcast 1.1, AoE II,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm kinda excited, but I'm not even sure if I'm going to buy anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I CANNOT wait for this! First Steam/PC Game(s) Sale in a long while. My wallet is ready.

The one thing I do not like about keysites is very often they don't have the game for Steam. It's a small niggle but one annoying thing nonetheless. That said as long as you don't buy Russian Versions of games you'll most likely be fine. No issues with any of my purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Looking for Massive Chalice and Blackguards 2 off the top of my head.

Digitalism wrote: »
    cringe.

Ah will ye lighten up. Cringe my arse

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Looking for Massive Chalice and Blackguards 2 off the top of my head.

Cant see massive chalice going beyond 10-15%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Every 10 Steam levels increases your chance of obtaining a random booster pack (of which you've created the badge for a game) by 20%, up to max amount of 100% at level 50.

So if you're level 50 you have the max amount of chance of getting a random booster pack.

Any random booster packs I get I usually unpack and sell them. You might get a foil card which can go up to a few quid depending on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Hey lads, it's my first steam sale today. Just wondering are there any games I should be looking out for? Also, do the games on sale change every day? Thanks.

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey lads, it's my first steam sale today. Just wondering are there any games I should be looking out for? Also, do the games on sale change every day? Thanks.

Log on and youll see how long each game is on sale, it gives you a timer, most you will have a day some longer, if you go on and add games to your wishlist then youll receive and email notifying you when they are on sale.

Also what games do you have at the moment? Might help us let you know. Most games will be on sale, just some will have better discounts.

When does it start? 5pm (9am PDT)?

6 pm GMT.

Nice one :D

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Log on and youll see how long each game is on sale, it gives you a timer, most you will have a day some longer, if you go on and add games to your wishlist then youll receive and email notifying you when they are on sale.

Also what games do you have at the moment? Might help us let you know. Most games will be on sale, just some will have better discounts.

I think they actually disable the email notifications during the sales, or at least they have the last few

VinLieger wrote: »
    I think they actually disable the email notifications during the sales, or at least they have the last few

I hope not! I can't remember to be honest if it has been during sales but sometimes those email notifications have forced be into buying things from my wishlist ha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Worst timing ever for a steam sale. I've to spend a tonne of money this weekend. Time to stock up on Aldi beans and toast.

Advertisement