Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

titan18 wrote: »
    First Steam sale, huh?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I just don't buy things I have no intention of using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bought the Redux bundle there. Now, to ban myself from this forum for a few weeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just a word of warning for anyone that is trying to dick the refund system (and ergo being a dick yourself)

IF you buy GTA 5 in it's current sale form, the DLC auto appends to your account, and means its excluded from the new refund system (as per confirmation on reddit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have a feeling im gonna be broke in a few days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

tbh i know people are gonna take advantage of the refund policy but im defo not gonna its a great system and if left in place could be very valuable to steam users going forward

• Advertisement

That was actually an impressive first day. Last few sales have been meh, but this time up was straight in with La Noire bundle for €7.50. Never finished it on Xbox, but enjoyed it, so want to give it another lash.

Cities Skyline got a 25% discount which is nice, as it's a game I have in my sights this sale. Might hang off and see if it gets anything more.

Mafia II was another I'd on my list for this sale, and it's coming in at 75% off which is excellent .

As normal with these sales it's not the front page deals that entice me, it's trawling through the back catalogue.

Max Payne 3 for €6 is highly recommended for folks who havn't played it.

I see the entire Hitman collection is in a 50% bundle at €20. I remember loving playing the original, is the entire series worth picking up, or is there one or two standout games in the Hitman series?

Shadow Warrior seems to be getting attention at that price? Any use?

tbh i know people are gonna take advantage of the refund policy but im defo not gonna its a great system and if left in place could be very valuable to steam users going forward

I've said it a dozen times and I'll say it a dozen more, this won't/can't be abused. Anyone racking up multiple refunds quickly will have their account flagged, blocked from the automated system, and put through customer support to additional refunds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have Metro 2033/Last Light (and yet to be played....). From what I gather, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two, other than customizing weapons and some better lighting effects. Is there anything that would be worth my while upgrading, as it's one that is on my list to get into soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

What is the game about? Just clickity-click-click?

Vojera wrote: »
    What is the game about? Just clickity-click-click?

Pretty much. I just go in to click when I'm bored and spend the gold. Nothing special really.

• Advertisement

Do you think Pillars of Eternity will drop any further than 25%? Those kind of RPG's seem to never drop that low. Divinity Original Sin is still really expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I'd like to pick up a few Paradox Interactive games. Possibly EUIV, Cities skyline and some CK2 expansions.

Most are at 50% off so I'll hold out till the end.

Any strategy titles I should look out for over the next few days? I much prefer in depth strategic gameplay rather than impressive graphics or quick-response. The old C&C games were fun, but I prefer to sit back and think about my decisions. I suppose I prefer Turn Based over RTS but wouldn't say no to decent RTS titles.

I'm considering picking up XCOM while it's still cheap. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Do you think Pillars of Eternity will drop any further than 25%? Those kind of RPG's seem to never drop that low. Divinity Original Sin is still really expensive.

if its at 25% now watch it for a flash and you will probably see an extra 10% on it id say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Downloading the Steam app for my phone was a disaster of an idea! I thought I would be safe from spending during work..I thought wrong.

Is King of Fighters worth a go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Van Helsing games are in the flash sale and turns out there's a 3rd one just released? Getting pretty bad reviews at the moment, so I'll probably skip it. Oh well.

I'd like to pick up a few Paradox Interactive games. Possibly EUIV, Cities skyline and some CK2 expansions.

Most are at 50% off so I'll hold out till the end.

Any strategy titles I should look out for over the next few days? I much prefer in depth strategic gameplay rather than impressive graphics or quick-response. The old C&C games were fun, but I prefer to sit back and think about my decisions. I suppose I prefer Turn Based over RTS but wouldn't say no to decent RTS titles.

I'm considering picking up XCOM while it's still cheap. Any recommendations?

XCOM sounds right up your alley. You need to get Enemy Within too though. Its basically adds a ton of features to the original. It adds much more variety to the missions. It is the game that the original should have been. They don't have to be played sequentially at all. Enemy Within is more like a content patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Just get the complete edition of Xcom you wont regret it. If you can look past the anime of it, Valkyria Chronicles is an awesome tactical squad turn based strategy game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Frisbee wrote: »
    XCom Bundle, Rome 2, Shadow of Mordor, This War of Mine and Far Cry 4 is all I'll be keeping my eyes out for.

Shadow of Mordor & Far Cry 4 only if they dip into that 75% range.

Picked up the XCom Bundle @ 83% off first thing. Happy Days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Can I put in a claim with Valve for a new mouse? I must be nearing the 30 million clicks guarantee on this mouse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Fyi, now is a good time to pick up Steam Trading Cards for cheap.
    If there are any cards you are after, just put in a low-ball buy order, like 4 or 5 cents.
    After a few hours you will probably have them, there's lots of card selling going on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm very interested in the Valve pack but I already have CS:GO. If I buy the pack is it possible for me to sell the CS:GO key?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I'm very interested in the Valve pack but I already have CS:GO. If I buy the pack is it possible for me to sell the CS:GO key?

They don't provide duplicates from such packs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Spear wrote: »
    They don't provide duplicates from such packs.

Thanks, does that mean that if you already have a game in a pack they just don't include that game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Thanks, does that mean that if you already have a game in a pack they just don't include that game?

Yes, the duplicate is essentially lost/wasted. This can mean that it's entirely possible for packs to be a case of false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Falthyron wrote: »
    Can I put in a claim with Valve for a new mouse? I must be nearing the 30 million clicks guarantee on this mouse...

They want you to buy a Steam controller, I reckon.

Pointless game though. It's more fun trying to guess for what games the unlockable discounts will be!

I'm actually annoyed because I bought Xcom pre-Enemy Within, and the DLC costs more than the bundle >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

stranded deep looks like a great game and reviews are excellent

That looks cool alright. I'd **** myself if I came up against a shark though.

Reminds me a little of The Long Dark?

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm actually annoyed because I bought Xcom pre-Enemy Within, and the DLC costs more than the bundle >_<

I'm in the same boat. I've not even played X-Com yet, but it's kinda stupid that I'm wasting a key if I get the bundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Got:

Hotline: Miami
    Prison Architect
    Papers, Please
    Metro Redux bundle

My unplayed list has just gotten a little bigger. Like I needed this, what with the weather getting nice. And being broke. And having to study. God fcukin dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Just picked up the Metro Redux Bundle so far, have heard great things about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the DLC is worth every red cent and more, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didnt play it with enemy within

I'm confused since it changed from every 8 hours to every 12 hours. So it's 6am and 6pm that the changeovers happen, right?

Yeah, only two batches of flash sales a day now.

the DLC is worth every red cent and more, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didnt play it with enemy within

Can't stress this enough

• Advertisement

I guess I'm just not in a buying mood right now. I'm working my way through some of the games I've accumulated in previous sales, which were just sitting there unplayed while I sunk nearly 600 hours into Payday 2 :eek: Xcom on the other hand I've only played 2 hours of. I do need to come back to that game at some point.

What happens if you buy the complete pack and take the DLC? Do you have an extra copy of the game?

Unfortunately not. It's only a tiny handful of games that give you duplicates in such a case - a few Valve titles, and Dawn of War iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I guess I'm just not in a buying mood right now. I'm working my way through some of the games I've accumulated in previous sales, which were just sitting there unplayed while I sunk nearly 600 hours into Payday 2 :eek: Xcom on the other hand I've only played 2 hours of. I do need to come back to that game at some point.

What happens if you buy the complete pack and take the DLC? Do you have an extra copy of the game?

i've around the same in payday, and 800+ hours in xcom :D haha, not biased at all :)

I dont think the bundle gives you a copy of a game already associated with your steam accoutn but i might be wrong, it's possible you might get it as a gift - but again, not sure.. They definitely did do that at one point but there have been a lot of changes since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There no voting this year?

it was changed last time i look but is it gone now.

On phone so may not be seeing it.

My thing for the last sale was "Am I gonna play this right now?" and currently I'm playing through some stuff that's been sitting there, so the way I'm looking at it is that if I'm not playing Xcom right now, I can wait until the next sale for the DLC.

• Advertisement

My thing for the last sale was "Am I gonna play this right now?" and currently I'm playing through some stuff that's been sitting there, so the way I'm looking at it is that if I'm not playing Xcom right now, I can wait until the next sale for the DLC.

This is the best attitude to have. There is absolutely no point on buying a game if you think you might play it sometime in the future. The game will probably get even cheaper in the future. It will always be there on the steam store regardless. And you won't play it anyway.

Varik wrote: »
    There no voting this year?

it was changed last time i look but is it gone now.

On phone so may not be seeing it.

No community vote any more, it seems. The mini "game" seems to have replaced it this time.

Specs Ops The line any use? Down to €6.59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

TheDoc wrote: »
    Specs Ops The line any use? Down to €6.59

Excellent game! Great story! However, it could go even lower... wait for flash or daily deal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Brilliant game. I was genuinely blown away by it. It was not what I expected at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Falthyron wrote: »
    Excellent game! Great story! However, it could go even lower... wait for flash or daily deal. :)

might be great on the xbox but its another ****ty port from what i remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

We all have our own little net present value assessments when considering games on sale!
    This is the best attitude to have. There is absolutely no point on buying a game if you think you might play it sometime in the future. The game will probably get even cheaper in the future. It will always be there on the steam store regardless. And you won't play it anyway.

I'll put it on the wishlist and keep an eye so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a pretty short game. One you'd finish in two decent sessions of gaming. There was multiplayer but I think that was handled by a different developer as the publisher wanted an MP mode, something Yager did not want at all.

The guys who made Spec Op's - Yager - are also currently developing Dead Island 2 also.

I completed it on 360 but also played a good chunk of it on PC, didn't have any issue with it at all.

I'm the same. I've a few games on my wishlist alright, and I even have €30 left from a €50 voucher I got for my birthday in January, but I'm really engrossed in Sunless Sea right now and I've a tonne of other games still unplayed too. I'm actually not sure what sort of price drop I'd have to see in order for me to buy much this time around*.

Oh please don't let me have bought a crapload of games by the end of the sale and look stupid for saying this :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement