Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Bambi wrote: »
    might be great on the xbox but its another ****ty port from what i remember

No it's not... I played it on PC flawlessly and with a great frame rate. I don't think it dropped below 60 fps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm the same. I've a few games on my wishlist alright, and I even have €30 left from a €50 voucher I got for my birthday in January, but I'm really engrossed in Sunless Sea right now

Nice one, that game looks great. Right up my alley. Seems to have elements of Expeditions conquistador to it!

Will get it in sale fo sho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Just get the complete edition of Xcom you wont regret it. If you can look past the anime of it, Valkyria Chronicles is an awesome tactical squad turn based strategy game.

Complete Edition it is so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

TheDoc wrote: »
    Specs Ops The line any use? Down to €6.59

Decent Shooter. Excellent Story. If you're not into the shooter genre: avoid. As shooters go it's not the best. It's the game's ambience and story that make it so exceptional. Take that away and you're left with, at best, a good shooter. So, you really got to be into the genre.

Xcom is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Links234 wrote: »
    My thing for the last sale was "Am I gonna play this right now?" and currently I'm playing through some stuff that's been sitting there, so the way I'm looking at it is that if I'm not playing Xcom right now, I can wait until the next sale for the DLC.

I do this but with my backlog I'll never buy anything. On the plus side all these games will be 2.50 by the time I get around to them.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about this Xcom DLC stuff. What do I need and what do I avoid? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone else find the new Xcoms just a bit bland and by the numbers? Like it was just a slow steady sweep of every level looking for things to kill, the old ones were brilliant back in the day but I always felt like I was playing a port of a tablet game when I played the new ones, it was just very repetitive.

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anyone else find the new Xcoms just a bit bland and by the numbers? Like it was just a slow steady sweep of every level looking for things to kill, the old ones were brilliant back in the day but I always felt like I was playing a port of a tablet game when I played the new ones, it was just very repetitive.

Was it not exactly the same in the old ones in that regard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Bought Sniper Elite 3. Really enjoyed the previous one so finally glad to pick it up at a good price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Bought Sniper Elite 3. Really enjoyed the previous one so finally glad to pick it up at a good price.
    Does this have a Co-op option? Thanks.

Also, looking at price drop for Gabriel Knight - to relive the glories of point and click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Was it not exactly the same in the old ones in that regard?
    I suppose it was but the first and best one was released 22 years ago and was more fun in my opinion even though I only played it about 10 years ago especially when there was nothing else like it at the time, there was a genuine fear factor playing it waiting for all your hard work to be undone in one sh1tty turn. The new Xcom feels and looks more like an Android app, something to grind your way through rather than anything particularly challenging. Im in the minority with that opinion I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Excellent in coop and collecting the gun parts is fun.

Never finsihed that :(

Thargor wrote: »
    I suppose it was but the first and best one was released 22 years ago and was more fun in my opinion even though I only played it about 10 years ago especially when there was nothing else like it at the time, there was a genuine fear factor playing it waiting for all your hard work to be undone in one sh1tty turn. The new Xcom feels and looks more like an Android app, something to grind your way through rather than anything particularly challenging. Im in the minority with that opinion I know.

I disagree. There is still that fear factor as you can lose valuable soldiers who you've developed and you do grow attached to them aside from that - the style they have, name, nickname, stats.

I didn't play the original X-Com 10 years ago though I did play it last year. It was ok, though obviously dated. You can definitely see the inspiration for the current game.

I love X-Com. It's one of my favourite ever games.

Manach wrote: »
    Does this have a Co-op option? Thanks.

It does have co-op but haven't played the game yet so cant tell you if it's good or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Same here. I always steered clear of the Xcoms for some reason. I bought the last one on a whim and loved every minute of it. It does get a tiny bit samey towards the end but its tough going so every battle is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Turtwig wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm a bit confused about this Xcom DLC stuff. What do I need and what do I avoid? :confused:

It's all good tbh, though your main stuff is the enemy within expansion, you need that, slingshot dlc, good and worth playing but it's short and only 3 missions spaced out between two months in game - pays off really well with materials and a high ranked soldier early in the game. The last one is just a skin pack, aesthetic only, it's good but, literally just aesthetic value.

Oh, and dont bother with The Bureau, it's pants. 2nd rate, 3rd person pile of shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

TheDoc wrote: »
    Specs Ops The line any use? Down to €6.59

It'll definitely get cheaper, I got it for €3.99 last year. (Still not even installed it)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I disagree. There is still that fear factor as you can lose valuable soldiers who you've developed and you do grow attached to them aside from that - the style they have, name, nickname, stats.

I didn't play the original X-Com 10 years ago though I did play it last year. It was ok, though obviously dated. You can definitely see the inspiration for the current game.

I'd be the opposite. New X-com is a damn fine game but I played through the original X-com for the first time last year and it's an absolute masterpiece once you figure out what the GUI means. It's a top 10/20 game of all time contender.

Pixel Pirates, Anyone got opinions? :)

• Advertisement

This clicky game better end at level 1337 and the boss better be Lord GabeN perched upon his mighty throne or I will be very disappointed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

First purchase done - Xcom pack, no real interest but it would be rude not to at that price. Probally never get to it though...

Glebee wrote: »
    First purchase done - Xcom pack, no real interest but it would be rude not to at that price. Probally never get to it though...

This guy here. This guy, is doing the steam sale the proper way!

*applauds*

Looking at the sale and tempted by Metro Redux bundle for 8 euro. Hopefully it remains that price during the sale as I'm waiting on my new visa card to arrive.

Looking at the sale and tempted by Metro Redux bundle for 8 euro. Hopefully it remains that price during the sale as I'm waiting on my new visa card to arrive.

It'll come back on the final day as an encore at that price. ;)

It'll come back on the final day as an encore at that price. ;)

I'm hoping it will, have the two games in their non redux versions but figure it's worth double dipping

I'm hoping it will, have the two games in their non redux versions but figure it's worth double dipping

I was thinking of doing it myself, because you can't buy any of the DLC for the original version any more as they're all removed from Steam. But I don't know if I'm gonna play them any time soon so... I really must finish them, because god damn they were amazing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Most of those 'new' deals were there yesterday. Boo urns!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭moesyzlak

Max payne 3 is 70% off @ 6 quid, surely thats the lowest it will go... yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

chrislad wrote: »
    Most of those 'new' deals were there yesterday. Boo urns!!

:confused::confused::confused: Theres a whole new set of daily deals and new flash sales

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

moesyzlak wrote: »
    Max payne 3 is 70% off @ 6 quid, surely thats the lowest it will go... yes?

It doesnt appear to be part of any daily deal/flash sale etc so it could go lower, although games dont tend to go much lower than 70-75%. Would probably wait until last day to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭weisses

Anyone played grey goo ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Witcher 2, Monaco, Wolfenstein and M&B Warband

VinLieger wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused: Theres a whole new set of daily deals and new flash sales

They might be new to the front page but they were those prices yesterday. Portal 2 definitely was. Witcher games too.

It does look like the prices have changed since I looked at them though.

24 minutes in and my team is on level 114. I have no idea what's going on, it's like the perfect Michael Bay movie: lots of explosions and bling, but not a clue as to what is happening!

Finally got the Witcher 3 :D Had hoped for a bigger discount but ah well. Also picked up Enslaved. Considering Child of Light but not sure. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Wolfenstein is such a brilliant game

Hmm, I've been after Wolfenstein for a while. Child of Light and Valiant Hearts were ones I had my eyes on for a while too. But nothing quite grabbing me as "I'm definitely gonna play this right away!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Hmm, I've been after Wolfenstein for a while. Child of Light and Valiant Hearts were ones I had my eyes on for a while too. But nothing quite grabbing me as "I'm definitely gonna play this right away!"

Best game of 2014 imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

If anyone picks up Mount & Blade:Warband, don't forget you can redeem a DRM-Free copy of it on GOG;
    https://www.gog.com/reclaim

Edit; only works for Boxed version.

Finally got the Witcher 3 :D Had hoped for a bigger discount but ah well. Also picked up Enslaved. Considering Child of Light but not sure. Any recommendations?

I played Child of Light on the Vita. I can't say that I particularly enjoyed it. It was pretty, and it might be better on the big screen. Sure, at that price, I might as well get it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've been eyeing up Wolfenstein prices for PS4, lowest I've seen it was for €20. So I pulled the trigger on that, although unsure if the expansion/sequel is worth it?

Hitman is a game I've been eyeing up for some time, collection there for €8. So that is a likely purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

might pick up Lichdom: Battlemage for €7.39

anyone tried Depth or the Wolfenstein expansion Old Blood?

Guys pardon my ignorance. Which wolfenstein game are ye highly recommending? :o

http://store.steampowered.com/app/201810/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The New Order and The Old Blood.

The New Order is supposed to be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Day 2 - Child of Light, This War of Mine, Lego Batman 3. Yes please...

I'm keeping an eye on This War of Mine. Looks very interesting but I'll wait until the last day for that or a Flash sale.

Thank yous,

See this is what I love about these threads - and probably what my wallet hates about them. We make recommendations to one another helping people to buy the games that are right for them. :) I loved Return to Castle Wolfenstien back in the day. :)

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm keeping an eye on This War of Mine. Looks very interesting but I'll wait until the last day for that or a Flash sale.

It won't go any lower than that, I am afraid. It is a very good price! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement