Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Piaggio mp3 500 (Any Advice)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What is the reason you went with a 3 Wheeler ? Specifically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

listermint wrote: »
    What is the reason you went with a 3 Wheeler ? Specifically.
    I don't have a motor bike license and have never driven a motorbike.

And I can drive one of these on a car license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Of the first page of results on youtube for them, 2 of them are of lads coming off them. Think about if this is really a loophole you want to be exploiting.

blinding wrote: »
    I don't have a motor bike license and have never driven a motorbike.

can you not drive a 'Moped' 50CC on a car license ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

No, no you can't. Its a big misconception because they used to add the "M" licence when you got a car licence.

• Advertisement

This is a bit bigger 500cc.

KTR1C wrote: »
    No, no you can't. Its a big misconception because they used to add the "M" licence when you got a car licence.

Whats the misconception about it?

They did used to add it so if you have it on your license then you can drive one.

If however you are applying now you cant.

No so much a misconception as a change in the rules for new applicants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Whats the misconception about it?

They did used to add it so if you have it on your license then you can drive one.

If however you are applying now you cant.

No so much a misconception as a change in the rules for new applicants.

The misconception being you can drive a 50cc moped on a "car" licence.

KTR1C wrote: »
    The misconception being you can drive a 50cc moped on a "car" licence.

You 'could' on a B License as M 'Was' thrown in. If we are going to be semantic about it......

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Of the first page of results on youtube for them, 2 of them are of lads coming off them. Think about if this is really a loophole you want to be exploiting.
    Thanks for that . That certainly puts one thinking when one of the main reasons for looking at them is for safety.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that . That certainly puts one thinking when one of the main reasons for looking at them is for safety.

You're only as safe as your skills. If safety on the road is your goal then stay in a car. You're not going to be filtering on one of these to any great extent. I don't think the third wheel would add much in terms of stability, falling over is the least of your worries on the bike usually (it's usually what you're going to hit next, or what just hit you).

And, I'd be very wary of going out on one without any training. I did my IBT last year and honestly would have had accidents a number of times since then if I hadn't had the training on forward observation, anticipation, shoulder checks, etc. It's a completely different set of skills than driving a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ldnboy87

another point to note is that these aren't allowed in the motorcycle parking bays in central London as they have 3 wheels. I'm not 100% but I think I came across that somewhere when I was looking in to getting my scooter.

Might be better doing your CBT and getting a 125cc bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

How much are these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Says who?

Scrap the cap!

Says who?
    The DVLA.

I'd imagine the third wheel would have it classified as a trike, which is a B license.

The DVLA.

Where?

I tried searching earlier and didn't find anything on the DVLA site, but did find a newspaper article from 2011 with car-based trike manufacturers giving out stink because all trikes in the UK were going to need a bike licence from then on, even though they don't lean over.

This one does lean over. To all intents and purposes it's a bike. It would be insane to allow car drivers to ride one without a bike licence, especially if it's without CBT as well.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

There was a thread on here before about these bikes:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89616461

I read earlier that MAG Ireland intend covering the subject of Trike licencing soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

testicle wrote: »
    How much are these things?

Worth considering OP!

May actually work out cheaper to do training and pick up a 125. Way more economical than the 500cc MP3

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Worth considering OP!

May actually work out cheaper to do training and pick up a 125. Way more economical than the 500cc MP3
    I am beginning to think that myself.

They are expensive and probably expensive to repair and probably not any/much safer than an normal motorbike.

Thanks everybody for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I'd imagine the third wheel would have it classified as a trike, which is a B license.

It comes in 2 versions with different width track. One qualifies it as car licence eligible.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    It comes in 2 versions with different width track. One qualifies it as car licence eligible.

Citation from NDLS or RSA please because I looked and didn't find one.

The current EU driver licensing directive appears to insist that going forward, all trikes (even non-leaning) should be on an A category licence.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Citation from NDLS or RSA please because I looked and didn't find one.

The current EU driver licensing directive appears to insist that going forward, all trikes (even non-leaning) should be on an A category licence.

Yes, Trikes come under the various A categories since 19th January 2013. A full Cat B licence held prior to that date entitled holders to ride trikes and they still retain that entitlement.

https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html
    Tricycle: Where a person had an entitlement to the category B full licence prior to 19 January 2013 that also covered them to ride tricycles. They still retain that entitlement. All first full Licences issued for the category B from 19 January 2013 would not have this entitlement and therefore they must take out the appropriate Bike category to ride a trike. The appropriate bike category will depend on the CC of the Tricycle.

Moped: Where a person was issued the category B full licence prior to 21 October 2006 that also covered them to ride mopeds and therefore are entitled to the moped category AM provided the category B licence has not expired for more than 10 years.

Advertisement