Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallin Avenue / Rialto / James' Walk

Options
  • 27-05-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone,

Am looking at property on Mallin Avenue which backs onto the Back of the Pipes in Dublin 8. Have heard the horror stories about St Anthony's Rd and Herberton Rd and Donore Ave etc, but wondering how dodgy this area is. There's a lot of rubbish on the Pipes (domestic waste mostly) but it's the junkies and burglary that freaks me out. How bad is it? Would a good house alarm do the job? Or am I just asking for trouble living around there as a single woman? I'm pretty streetwise but would have to do up the house and don't want to live in fear.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

area is fine
    lots of professionals and students living around that way near fatima and rialto luas stops
    never seen any trouble really, there are a few heroin addicts floating about due to its proximity to st anthonys road which isnt the nicest street in dublin but its the same as anywhere, theyre harmless if you mind your own business
    great location for town, only a few mins on luas or u can walk in along thomas street and be in temple bar in around 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

My thoughts on the area (emphasis on my own thoughts):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057427787

Depends really what you want from where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

St Anthonys road is notorious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've lived in the area for years and had no problems. It's not one of the greatest areas (though I've actually had more random hassle in Cabinteely than in Fatima) but generally if you don't bother people they won't bother you. However it is one of those areas where being one street over can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 geranium1990

Thanks folks. Great to hear some local perspectives. It's burglary/car theft that I'm most concerned about. Good to hear that it's not a major issue. Looked at the Pobal Maps and it seems that there are a lot of home owners in the area too. If the major anti-social behaviour is going on around Herberton Rd/St Anthony's Rd that's a bit away from where I'd be... Still thinking long and hard though! Such a big decision. Thanks so much for your advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The best thing to do would probably be to hop on the Luas and see what you think of the area at various times of the day. IME any hassle tends to come from teens hanging around and they're more likely to hang around the Anthony's Rd side of the Herberton apartments. Mallin Ave doesn't really have anything to give them a reason to loiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

One of my friends lives on upper cross road, its a world away from the likes of st Anthonys road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, maybe you're mistaking Herberton Apartments/F2 Centre with Herberton Road which runs from the roundabout in Rialto to Loreto College/DID Electrical.

The place is packed with cars during the day-I'm fed up avoiding them on the bike-as it's the nearest non street metered parking near and around James' Hospital and Thomas Street/town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 geranium1990

Thanks folks - really good to hear :) Have been visiting at various times and seems quiet and safe. Appreciate all the help!

Advertisement